Forums » General Guild Discussion

Guild Management Power site

• 607 posts
    August 12, 2018 11:40 AM PDT

I have begun work on a very powerful Pantheon fan website that players will be able to use for guild management, character profile management, as well as many other functions.

Some who played Vanguard may recall I ran a large fan site there as well. (Less known is that I also had a site for EQ1 way back in the very early days.)

Generally I build these sites 100% myself. All the code, the tech, the graphics, the ideas. It's like a hobby for me.

What I want to do a little different this time is get some early input from those that plan on running guilds in Pantheon. Players that will need the tools. People that are big Pantheon fans, that want to help out, to test and be the first to use the site.

Below I have included some screenshots to show that this is not simply vaporware. 

This post was edited by zewtastic at December 14, 2018 11:18 AM PST
    • 1006 posts
    August 12, 2018 12:42 PM PDT

Are the guild members going to be linked to their individual accounts in the tool for cross-reference purposes?  I don't plan in running a guild, but having experience running things, like a motorcycle club, in the real world, this is looking pretty good.

Here are some things I would also recommend adding in the personal bio part (I am sure that I will whink of m0re as will others):

• Faction Preferences
    • Keeper Yes/No
    • Blacklist (cross-referenced with other user bios where applicable?)
    • Back-story (for those that are into RP or semi-RP)
    • Crafting Info
    • Mount Yes/No (for when they're in game)

That's all I can think of this quick go-around.

This post was edited by Kalok at August 12, 2018 12:43 PM PDT
    • 1006 posts
    August 12, 2018 12:47 PM PDT

What also might be interesting is an iPhone and Android app for guild leaders to manage their people "offline"  Obviously, it would still use the Internet, but I mean "offline" from the web site itself.

• 508 posts
    August 12, 2018 2:01 PM PDT

Heya, Zew. 

Have you been in touch with the VR developers at all to see what sort of guild tools they are planning to deliver through their web portal?   Last newsletter mentioned that they were "working on some top-secret backend stuff that is a major building block for an online service".

I was hoping VR would build an API and let 3rd party guild management sites hook into the Pantheon backend.   With a well-crafted API they can tightly control access, while allowing site developers the tools to link Pantheon to existing resources for established guilds.   There are a lot of well-crafted guild management engines out there and a lot of cross-game guilds now - a very different scenario than we had in the golden age of EQ or even Vanguard.

So I notice in your guild profile screen you have a spot for guilds to link their website.  You also have an application form.   I don't see any forum, messaging or batphone capability yet.  Perhaps those are coming?  I'm just curious how your site fits in the mix of existing guild sites and communication tools and Pantheon's own portal?   What sort of approval workflow do you envision for applications?

It just feels a bit premature to build something like this without knowing a key part of the puzzle - ie What is VR doing for guild management.   You could be 100% duplicating what the official portal is going to bring to the table.

What would be really nice is if VR would pull back the covers on their portal plans and open it up for feedback from guild leaders and site builders.

From the FAQ

12.1 Will the in-game guild functions include raid attendance tracking for guild events? Will there be any tie-in with loot distribution to allow a raid leader to distribute loot through the guild tool using the aforementioned tracking systems

Yes, pretty much all of that and more.

This post was edited by Celandor at August 12, 2018 2:06 PM PDT
    • 607 posts
    August 12, 2018 5:10 PM PDT

Kalok said:

Are the guild members going to be linked to their individual accounts in the tool for cross-reference purposes?  I don't plan in running a guild, but having experience running things, like a motorcycle club, in the real world, this is looking pretty good.

Here are some things I would also recommend adding in the personal bio part (I am sure that I will whink of m0re as will others):

• Faction Preferences
    • Keeper Yes/No
    • Crafting Info

Thanks for the idea's Kalok.

My site will allow users to create character profiles as well as guilds. So your account can be filled with characters on any server, as well a being a guild manager.

You will be able to join guild(s) with your characters and leave guilds. The character stays with you.

Guilds can accept characters that want to join/peition them. There will be an elaborate petition process if a guild chooses. Guilds can also build characters themselves to populate the guild.

Essentially there will me a match-making process of guild LFP and characters LFG. And so forth.

This post was edited by zewtastic at August 12, 2018 5:10 PM PDT
    • 607 posts
    August 12, 2018 5:11 PM PDT

Kalok said:

What also might be interesting is an iPhone and Android app for guild leaders to manage their people "offline"  Obviously, it would still use the Internet, but I mean "offline" from the web site itself.

I have been building the site to be "mobile freindly" but as I said, the site will be complex and some things do not tend to translate to mobile well. Tablets should be ok.

• 1006 posts
    August 12, 2018 5:20 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Kalok said:

• Faction Preferences
    • Keeper Yes/No
    • Crafting Info

My site will allow users to create character profiles as well as guilds. So your account can be filled with characters on any server, as well a being a guild manager.

You will be able to join guild(s) with your characters and leave guilds. The character stays with you.

Guilds can accept characters that want to join/peition them. There will be an elaborate petition process if a guild chooses. Guilds can also build characters themselves to populate the guild.

Essentially there will me a match-making process of guild LFP and characters LFG. And so forth.

I got them to show up using the ricth text formatting tools at the top of the edit box.

• 607 posts
    August 12, 2018 5:30 PM PDT

Celandor said:

Heya, Zew. 

Have you been in touch with the VR developers at all to see what sort of guild tools they are planning to deliver through their web portal?   Last newsletter mentioned that they were "working on some top-secret backend stuff that is a major building block for an online service".

I was hoping VR would build an API and let 3rd party guild management sites hook into the Pantheon backend.   With a well-crafted API they can tightly control access, while allowing site developers the tools to link Pantheon to existing resources for established guilds.   There are a lot of well-crafted guild management engines out there and a lot of cross-game guilds now - a very different scenario than we had in the golden age of EQ or even Vanguard.

So I notice in your guild profile screen you have a spot for guilds to link their website.  You also have an application form.   I don't see any forum, messaging or batphone capability yet.  Perhaps those are coming?  I'm just curious how your site fits in the mix of existing guild sites and communication tools and Pantheon's own portal?   What sort of approval workflow do you envision for applications?

It just feels a bit premature to build something like this without knowing a key part of the puzzle - ie What is VR doing for guild management.   You could be 100% duplicating what the official portal is going to bring to the table.

What would be really nice is if VR would pull back the covers on their portal plans and open it up for feedback from guild leaders and site builders.

From the FAQ

12.1 Will the in-game guild functions include raid attendance tracking for guild events? Will there be any tie-in with loot distribution to allow a raid leader to distribute loot through the guild tool using the aforementioned tracking systems

Yes, pretty much all of that and more.

From my experience no game has ever made any tool of that nature comprehensive enough to satisfy any guild manager, or player for that matter. There's always something more to be done with data that the design team forgot. And usually once a game launches support and new development poof.

And guild management will only be part of the site. It also has Profile building, item DB, data on factions, zones, POIs. Frankly everything?

I will be happy to use whatever data VR want's to push out, but frankly they have enough on their plate just getting a game built.

I am fairly nimble programatically and can built features and functionality rapidly. I am very proficient with PHP, JS, CSS, MySQL, AJAX, Jquery, NoSQL, Linux, Cloud technology, AWS, networking, DB design, etc. oh, and security I hope :) 

Regarding forums, batphones and other social communication mechanics - I am still musing. Some of those are too intrusive, some can be too easily abused. Jury's out still. I was noodling out a secure form of communicating between characters and guilds, but we shall see.

I am sure I will be duplicating what many people might be doing. It's the nature of the beast. As I said, it's more a kind of hobby for me.

I'm not clear on your question about application approvals? To what are you referring?

• 607 posts
    August 12, 2018 5:32 PM PDT

Kalok said:

zewtastic said:

Kalok said:

• Faction Preferences
    • Keeper Yes/No
    • Crafting Info

I got them to show up using the ricth text formatting tools at the top of the edit box.

yes, but unfortunately they only show up during editing, the bullets poof on publish.

• 1006 posts
    August 12, 2018 5:53 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Kalok said:

zewtastic said:

Kalok said:

• Faction Preferences
    • Keeper Yes/No
    • Crafting Info

yes, but unfortunately they only show up during editing, the bullets poof on publish.

I noticed that too....hehehe  Welcome to yet another forum bug.

• 607 posts
    September 21, 2018 1:36 PM PDT

One of the forum posts that talked about reputation being account wide prompted me to ask a question here.

One feature I was going to add for a guild, is the ability to require their membership to make all their characters visible to the guild. Some guilds require this generally.

Essentially it would give the guild visibility to any other characters members had created for their account.

Whats the feelings on this?

Also here are some more pics of things. Remember, very early development still. Sort of like Pantheon. :)

• 90 posts
    September 21, 2018 7:14 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

One of the forum posts that talked about reputation being account wide prompted me to ask a question here. One feature I was going to add for a guild, is the ability to require their membership to make all their characters visible to the guild. Some guilds require this generally. Essentially it would give the guild visibility to any other characters members had created for their account.

Whats the feelings on this? 

If Pantheon is anything like EQ then people will want the option to remain anonymous when logged into an alt (for a number of reasons). Forcing these sorts of idealogies through a 3rd party site will steer people away from it. I would suggest allowing the guilds to create those rules on their own terms and not have it be a built-in functionality. Pantheon will be a hugely group-based game so allowing to play on an alt without being disturbed is something that people have expressed passionately.

Great job on the site (it needs some art direction love but you said it's early) and like previous posts have stated, I'm curious to see what VR is bringing to the table with their own functionality. =) But who knows, we don't even know if we'll be visible just by logging into the game, regardless of what character you choose. I just hope choice is given to the player rather than big brother. 

This post was edited by Avaen at September 21, 2018 7:15 PM PDT
    • 607 posts
    September 21, 2018 8:20 PM PDT

I'm not talking about an automatic feature. It would be a requirement a guild could set for members joining their guild site. Meaning a user would know they were letting the guild see the characters on their account.

The user has to allow it, to join any guild that requires it.

When I played Vanguard, my guild did not allow members to have alts in other guilds. Although pretty hard to actually check that. There was no mechanism.

This post was edited by zewtastic at September 21, 2018 9:08 PM PDT
    • 28 posts
    October 7, 2018 2:44 AM PDT

I did not see it on the guild biography page, which is where I would expect to see it, so apologies if I missed it, but I think it needs a timezones for play, specifically raiding. I work off hours on the EST timezone, so normally I can't play 'til 2100 - 2230 or so, so normally I play with somewhat lenient PST guilds, this would aid me in expediently sorting out guilds rather than reading paragraphs just to find out the time is not going to work.

Ofcourse, I am not entirely sure how well setting a time for raids will work with Pantheon (I will almost cetainly miss raids not being instanced, I liked that aspect of EQ2 much more than EQ), but a lot of guilds still seem to do it. All I can say is that I can't play before the time I listed, but I can play all night afterwards.

• 607 posts
    October 7, 2018 4:30 PM PDT

I do have time zones built in to the entire system.

You set your time zone in a setting specific to your account.

If your guild is based in a different TZ than you and they post raid and event times in that other TZ, it adjusts the time displayed for your TZ.

Any time anyone posts for anything is adjusted for you automatically.

I am still in heavy development so not available to users yet. This is a very large and complex site. Lots to do still.

This post was edited by zewtastic at October 7, 2018 4:32 PM PDT
    • 607 posts
    January 4, 2019 6:54 PM PST

Since there hasn't been much news lately I thought I'd throw out an update.

Custom profiles are coming along. Here's a pic of the Adventurer search/display functionality. Yes with hoverable item display.

• 58 posts
    January 4, 2019 7:57 PM PST

Hey man, just spotted this 

I've dabbled in some HTML & CSS stuff myself in the past but nothing on this scale, this is incredible - hope all is going well. 

Not entirely sure if i'll be of any use to you but i'm happy to test stuff and provide feedback if you need it still, i'm fully commited to this game and all fan-sites that surroud it. 

It's unfortunate, I see some that were in the making years ago have grinded to a hault in production but I understand why I guess. 

Stay safe man. 

• 607 posts
    January 4, 2019 9:31 PM PST

@jimmyecho

I built my first fan site for EQ1 in 2000, then again for Vanguard in 2007, and now for Pantheon.

The code behind this site is massive and designed to be highly functional. Mostly PHP, JS, Jquery, etc.

The DB is already over 100 tables.

• 607 posts
    January 8, 2019 2:04 PM PST

Added a timeline feature for characters and guilds.

Record events that occur in-game for your toons, guild.

• 144 posts
    January 8, 2019 8:20 PM PST

Looks nice!