Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Visuals or Performance?

• 34 posts
    August 2, 2018 4:35 PM PDT

Not entirely 100% on the topic but GAMEPLAY over graphics 100% of the time. Looking back at some of the great game series that had poorer graphics in their earlier versons but were vastly better gameplay wise. Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization, Total War. Those games were great early when gameplay was the main goal, now they are fancy graphics but the gameplay is $T%$&^. The largests maps in all of them are as big as the smallest maps in the older versions.
    People playing them now and like them, like Civ 6 for example must be young and know no different. The game is shockingly terrible towards civ 2 that launched 20+ years before it. 

This post was edited by splitpawthanos at August 2, 2018 4:36 PM PDT
    • 190 posts
    August 2, 2018 4:47 PM PDT

Graphics. I upgrade my computer every 2-3 years to be able to stay on top of the newest standards.

• 109 posts
    August 2, 2018 6:32 PM PDT

I don't tend to watch my framerate that close as I'm not a professional gamer.  My rule of thumb even with a 1080 TI water cooled card is to run games with anti aliasing and and antistropic filtering turned off or at 2x as it just ends up running cards too hard and depending on the game eventually frames start dropping.  There are exceptions to this but typically I don't notice enough of an improvement versus the performance hit I take.  Visual distance on the other hand is something I always try to max in MMO's.

• 96 posts
    August 2, 2018 7:45 PM PDT

ULTRA SETTINGS! Except for shadows and AA x16. They usually don't look great anyway and eat up performance.

• 3 posts
    August 3, 2018 1:10 AM PDT

When I first log into a game, I like to crank my settings all the way up to see what the game could look like. After that I crank the settings down incrementally until I get decent FPS. That being said, in most games, I don't mind having a little lag if it means I get better graphics.

• 2756 posts
    August 3, 2018 2:34 AM PDT

wildenightwolf said:

Graphics. I upgrade my computer every 2-3 years to be able to stay on top of the newest standards.

How are you finding PCs hold up to aging these days?

I bought an i7-4770K about 4 years ago and it's still fine even for the most demanding FPSs.  I did buy a 1080Ti when they came out (at ridiculous expense!) and that, of course, helps, but do you think it's worth me upgrading motherboard, ram and CPU?

I do find occasionally I get *slight* performance issues in *some* games even when the optimised graphics settings are below what NVidia says should be fine and I wonder if it's CPU/RAM related (even though the Task Manager stats look fine).

This post was edited by disposalist at August 3, 2018 2:35 AM PDT
    • 626 posts
    August 3, 2018 9:17 PM PDT

I will turn the graphics up as high as I can as long as the performance is smooth. 

• 768 posts
    August 3, 2018 10:17 PM PDT

I designed my pc in such a way it can preform on extreme quality and still run without hesitation.

If I play a game that breaks up, I'll turn it down. But that would not be a game, I'll likely be playing a lot. 

Sadly raiding on extreme quality was a major let down so far. It nearly seems the dev's (in those other mmo's) didn't think about how things would look if people raided in that set up.

Anyway, graphics all the way! All the time if possible.

Unless playing on more then 3 accounts at the same time, since I only have one pc.

• 96 posts
    August 3, 2018 10:37 PM PDT

disposalist said:

wildenightwolf said:

I have an AMD Phenom II and a Radeon 6970 I put in about 6-7 years ago, it still holds up well. Played Doom on good settings without lag.

• 999 posts
    August 4, 2018 6:00 PM PDT

Performance all the way; although, I'd say with a major caveat that the gameplay is enjoyable.  A bad game is a bad game, a good one is a good one regardless of the visuals for me.

*Edit* @Splitpawthanos

100% agree with HOMM series - I love 1-3, but the gameplay has gone drastically downhill while the visuals have been upgraded.  I consider the visuals annoying or distracting from the gameplay most of the time.  I still play HOMM2 & 3 quite a bit.

This post was edited by Raidan at August 4, 2018 6:25 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    August 4, 2018 6:17 PM PDT

Nice, there is more of a mix than I would have thought! Love the replies, keep them coming :)

• 557 posts
    August 5, 2018 8:13 AM PDT

I'd like to see the game client stores two user-definable setting configurations.  The first I would use at near max settings for general group and world play.   The second I would like to be able to define for raiding.   Having two slots for my configs would mean quick swapping and insurance that I return to the same settings for each situation.

I just built a fairly beefy new system with a high-end card, but as my system ages, new game releases come out and others with less up-to-date video cards are playing the game, there's undoubtedly going to be a need for situational graphics settings -- assuming that we're not all content to explore Terminus at sub-optimal raid level graphics 100% of the time.

• 3237 posts
    August 5, 2018 8:15 AM PDT

Celandor said:

I'd like to see the game client stores two user-definable setting configurations.  The first I would use at near max settings for general group and world play.   The second I would like to be able to define for raiding.   Having two slots for my configs would mean quick swapping and insurance that I return to the same settings for each situation.

I just built a fairly beefy new system with a high-end card, but as my system ages, new game releases come out and others with less up-to-date video cards are playing the game, there's undoubtedly going to be a need for situational graphics settings -- assuming that we're not all content to explore Terminus at sub-optimal raid level graphics 100% of the time.

I agree with Celandor.

• 388 posts
    August 5, 2018 10:20 PM PDT

I am waiting until I get a release date to build a new PC. My current system will hold me til then. 

I want 100% of the eye candy. I want to see fog in a forest or dungeon. 

I want to see frosty breath in the cold. I want to see heat waves coming off the fire. 

The nVidia 1180 Ti or maybe even nVidia 1280 Ti will be out by the time pantheon hits, I will just get whatever is top card at time of release. 

May do MB, Proc, ram etc when the intel i9-9900K is released. I think it will handle Pantheon pretty well. I will grab card later, at release. 

This post was edited by Flapp at August 5, 2018 10:21 PM PDT
    • 190 posts
    August 6, 2018 3:18 PM PDT

disposalist said:

I bought an i7-4770K about 4 years ago and it's still fine even for the most demanding FPSs.  I did buy a 1080Ti when they came out (at ridiculous expense!) and that, of course, helps, but do you think it's worth me upgrading motherboard, ram and CPU?

I do find occasionally I get *slight* performance issues in *some* games even when the optimised graphics settings are below what NVidia says should be fine and I wonder if it's CPU/RAM related (even though the Task Manager stats look fine).

I apologize that I didn't go into specifics. We watch the newest trends and hardware releases, but rarely purchase current top of the line anything. We (not the Royal we, husband and I) research which items are still outperforming their opponents 1 - 2 years into their release. So, every 2 - 3 years, I may replace a component that is now 5 or 6 years old on the market.

Current set-up is: An LG monitor that displays 3440 x 1440, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, i7 4790-K CPU @ 4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card, 1 TB SSD with an additional 5 TB external SSD.

Right now, I've yet to find a game I can't play well on max settings. Fallout 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, EverQuest 2, Star Wars The Old Republic, Rift, Bioshock Infinity - all played on max settings. Now, I'll admit that I haven't played any recent games, but I'll be delving into Witcher 3 soon. I don't expect much, if any, framerate issues.

When Pantheon releases, we'll probably upgrade again, for good measure. I mean, the game is just so darn pretty and it's only in Pre-Alpha.

• 1019 posts
    August 6, 2018 4:14 PM PDT

I feel with graphics turned all the way up, there is too much going on.  Too much blume, too much FX too much Spell FX, too much shadows, reflectios, too much everything.  I keep graphics low to not bombard me and to run games better with out glitching.