Forums » Pantheon Classes

Utility classes

• 27 posts
    July 31, 2018 6:47 AM PDT

When you check which of the classes so far have a utility group role, you might be surprised:

It's ALL of them.

So that distinction seems to be useless. I really doubt that any of the coming classes will lack that utility group role. So just get rid of it. It serves no purpose if everybody has it.

• 2886 posts
    July 31, 2018 7:54 AM PDT

I think it's still worth mentioning just to show that each class's main role won't be ALL that they can do. For example, a healer won't have only healing spells. They'll have some situational abilities as well. It may sound like a contradiction, but even though every class has utility, not all utility is equal. They will each be unique in the way they provide utility.

• 363 posts
    August 1, 2018 9:49 AM PDT

As Bazgrim mentions, while all classes have utilities, each will have unique utilities to their class. Example: "Length of rope" for the Rogue is extremely different from "Vinewoven Bridge" for the Druid yet similar in that they both provide utility in traversing terrain. These make both classes disireable for various situations, as it should be.

• 57 posts
    August 2, 2018 12:36 AM PDT
    On the flip side it might be nice for the real utility to have some flavour besides just slowing, mezzing, or being a mana battery.
    • 27 posts
    August 2, 2018 5:50 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I think it's still worth mentioning just to show that each class's main role won't be ALL that they can do. For example, a healer won't have only healing spells. They'll have some situational abilities as well. It may sound like a contradiction, but even though every class has utility, not all utility is equal. They will each be unique in the way they provide utility.

I am talking about the "group role" of classes, as referenced at each class page. The group role should help players decide what they actually want to play.

Utility could actually be a good indicator here to discern classes. But it isn't once you realize that all classes have it. That's my complaint.

At the moment the group role "utility" has the same value as "has hit points" in order to decide which class i actually want to play.

• 2752 posts
    August 2, 2018 1:26 PM PDT

It's just a simple "at a glance" tidbit of info, they just want people to know that each class will also have various other functions they can perform within a group and that they aren't entirely one dimensional. It's a lot easier to just say Utility and let people look within the class to see what kinds of spells/abilities they will have than to make a long list of: taunt, self healing, buffs, feign death, pulling abilities, lulls, makes bridges, lowers ropes, can do corpse runs, etc.

• 75 posts
    August 5, 2018 12:56 AM PDT

What Iksar said. There is no quick summary for all the things that utility encompasses.