Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mobile Features?

• 8 posts
    July 29, 2018 8:35 AM PDT
    Hey All,

I’m a returning player to EQ and was getting annoyed having to add the same friend to all of my toons. (That’s not the point of the post, but I’ll take any opportunity I can to promote an account based friends/guild where I can). So it got me thinking. Should pantheon adopt a mobile feature that creates an offline experience providing players accessibility to certain social and/or content tools allowing things like:

- Visibility of friends who are online
    - Ability to search and inspect players profiles (according to their settings): character lists, levels, gear, etc.
    - Guild rosters and real-time communication
    - Zone and LFG populations
    - Active event or challenge statuses

I know games like Destiny and Call of Duty/Battlefield have implemented successful apps that are pretty robust, but I’m not entirely sure to what extent MMORPGs have utilized. I personally feel that it would be a great opportunity to give players the ability to immerse themselves in the game even when they aren’t able to log in.

You get where I’m going with this. I hope this sparked your innovative minds, and I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas around this concept.
    • 3852 posts
    July 29, 2018 8:53 AM PDT

Mobile features are good for some and irrlevent for others. That makes them a net plus (those that ignore them won't be hurt if the game has some) but they definitely are a lower priority than getting the game itself to alpha, then beta, then release.

First we need to *have* a game before we can worry about what players will do when they aren't playing.

• 8 posts
    July 29, 2018 9:17 AM PDT
    Thanks for the input, but I’m not sure I understand the relevance of your point. There’s nothing that indicates I’m saying this is more critical than getting the game up and running. I’m pretty sure everyone can agree on that lol. Just trying to create a forward thinking topic so feel free to add to it or just move on to the next :)

Anyways, back to the discussion...
    • 3852 posts
    July 29, 2018 9:22 AM PDT

Then let me rephrase it. I agree with what you say but don't consider it a high priority.

• 8 posts
    July 29, 2018 10:34 AM PDT
    Fair enough haha
    • 1714 posts
    July 29, 2018 10:46 AM PDT

Would eventually be nice if perhaps some public APIs were exposed, then we could make the apps/sites ourselves. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at July 29, 2018 10:46 AM PDT
    • 363 posts
    July 29, 2018 10:58 AM PDT

My thoughts on mobile are pretty simple. Don't use it for games unless its absolutely needed. If its for tapping into game or server information the dev's have said that in order to minimize cheats, hacks, exploits, botting, etc they want to keep the client side in the dark as much as possible.

I don't see a need for an app unless its for a security sign in, and you don't need those unless you've already opened the doors elsewhere on the client.

Ultimately if a player can't bother themselves to search the internet for 5 mins to get what they need, what will an app provide? I'm sure someone will create a third party map app at some point. Just send me e my 3% royalty when you do :D

• 646 posts
    July 29, 2018 12:24 PM PDT

I like being able to "log in" and chat on a mobile app with friends/guildies. That would be appreciated!

• 8 posts
    July 29, 2018 12:36 PM PDT
    Lol Bron. I think there’s value in seeing who’s online and who’s not. It’s also easy to google but if you had a one stop shop app it’s just easier to use on mobile than a website in most cases
    • 644 posts
    July 29, 2018 3:13 PM PDT

I'd love a mobile in-game chat app.  In EQ, we had EQIM (Everquest Instant Messenger).  You could talk to your friends, guild-mates, etc.

We would run this at work and my friends from work and I would talk to each other about where and when to meet up in game.  And then we also used it to discuss big upcoming raids etc.

It's nice when you're checking if a mob is spawned or trying to coordinate 72 people raids or trying to find out if your buddy is on and going to team up with you etc.

Plus it let you feel connected to the game world while trapped outside at the office.

• 1120 posts
    July 29, 2018 4:15 PM PDT

Discord pretty much makes chat apps obsolete.

Pretty much everyone uses discord now.

• 363 posts
    July 29, 2018 5:58 PM PDT

Porygon said:

Discord pretty much makes chat apps obsolete.

Pretty much everyone uses discord now.

Yep. I use discord or teamspeak. Though a chat app is definitely not for me I could see guilds trying to coordinate for raiding, but then again there are already chat apps that could do the same thing. Skype and google hangout are two. Feels repetitive and not worth the effort or money to create one. :D

This post was edited by Willeg at July 29, 2018 6:00 PM PDT
    • 513 posts
    July 30, 2018 7:22 AM PDT

I would like a one-button push to buy a t-shirt with my character sheet on it...

• 363 posts
    July 30, 2018 7:27 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I would like a one-button push to buy a t-shirt with my character sheet on it...

There's your app lol. It'll be right next to the Pantheon Character Farting app. 

• 1120 posts
    July 30, 2018 8:46 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I would buy. 

• 2886 posts
    July 30, 2018 9:52 AM PDT

From Kilsin:

"We have done a google doc Q&A, polls, CM content and threads throughout these forums about a Pantheon App and the consensus is that the majority want something and it would be nice for them to chat to guildies, check character and the characters progression and maybe search/sort their bank, we have taken these into consideration and if able to, we would like to explore the possible avenue of an App for Pantheon but it would be a long way down the track near or after the games release."

(Source: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5074/smart-phone-support)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at July 30, 2018 9:53 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    July 30, 2018 10:04 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Mobile features are good for some and irrlevent for others. That makes them a net plus (those that ignore them won't be hurt if the game has some) but they definitely are a lower priority than getting the game itself to alpha, then beta, then release.

First we need to *have* a game before we can worry about what players will do when they aren't playing.

I sort of agree with this. However, just because I may not use a mobile feature does not mean I cannot fathom a reason why it would hurt the game. For example, I don't plan on using the 'de-leveling' feature of Pantheon because I will just use twinks. But I can think of a lot of reasons why not to put it in.

People can make the argument that the mobile version will take players away from the game. I want people logged in and playing, not just monitoring their account from a phone.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at July 30, 2018 10:05 AM PDT
    • 646 posts
    July 30, 2018 10:16 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:People can make the argument that the mobile version will take players away from the game. I want people logged in and playing, not just monitoring their account from a phone.

I'm not sure that is an argument that has any basis in reality. Mobile apps don't let you play the game - they're usually just ways to chat in-game and maybe monitor your auctions or look up your character's info. It's something people access when they can't be in the game, not something they'd use instead of the game.

• 1120 posts
    July 30, 2018 3:15 PM PDT

Naunet said:

bigdogchris said:People can make the argument that the mobile version will take players away from the game. I want people logged in and playing, not just monitoring their account from a phone.

I'm not sure that is an argument that has any basis in reality. Mobile apps don't let you play the game - they're usually just ways to chat in-game and maybe monitor your auctions or look up your character's info. It's something people access when they can't be in the game, not something they'd use instead of the game.

To be fair.  TeamViewer is free and I would regularly use it to check my WoW auctions and even complete easy dailies before the WoW app existed.

• 1281 posts
    July 30, 2018 6:48 PM PDT

Naunet said:

Sure, at first.

• 520 posts
    May 28, 2019 8:29 AM PDT

I do hope that we will get a mobile app! There are plenty of features that could be implemented and would be very needed, like:

1) Events info - with the messages about current and upcoming events - their type and rewards

2) Travelling caravan - we could travel while we are basically offline

3) Opening a shop, selling/buying, and if not at least browsing available shops in different zones (when we are getting back from work and we know that in 20 minutes we will be able to buy it or contact the merchant)

4) LFP - alarms if someone is looking for group for specific quest/zone.

5) General, guild, friend chat

6) Offline "wiki-like" feature - where we could browse information about monsters, zones, quests and more importantly where specific eq parts drop.

• May 30, 2019 4:18 AM PDT
    How do folks feel about some level of crafting via mobile app?
    • 1921 posts
    May 30, 2019 8:08 AM PDT

Don't want any actual progress possible via anything other than the full game client.

Chat? Sure.  Anything else?  Probably not a good idea.

• 2038 posts
    May 30, 2019 2:25 PM PDT

vjek said:

Don't want any actual progress possible via anything other than the full game client.

This is my sticking point. No PLAY while not in game.

Chat with friends, guild. Yes.

Checking Server status? Yes.

View your char and his equipped gear? Yes (assuming there's not an integrated 'Armory' function already in game).

View your items stored in bank? Maybe. No moving anything, just viewing.

Read ingame mail you recieve? No, that's playing.

View anything in Auction House (if we have one). NO. Viewing your items' status or even just items in general on AH is a functional part of AH Marketing. Must be in game.

• 368 posts
    October 16, 2019 8:39 AM PDT

Aaah, something like the Station Launcher that sat in perpetual beta for years before being canned. I loved it, I could cross server, cross game chat with friends. See who was online before logging into the game etc.