Forums » The Druid

Resurrection

• 1587 posts
    July 25, 2018 2:17 PM PDT

People were mentioning the lack of an actual resurrection effect listed for druids in their current list of abilites (which we know is incomplete) on Temmi's thread about Masae's Fox (https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/8870/masae-s-fox).

Instead of derailing her thread I figured we should discuss it here instead.  I really do hope we get an actual resurrection effect.  Right now the closest thing we have is Hirode's Chrysalis, which is not an actual resurrection but is close to it.  In a way it is a 100% XP restoring resurrection, because if they take a killing blow, they instead just don't die.  But what if someone does die?  Unlike the other healers, we'd have no way of returnin that person to their corpse and they'd have to either run back to the group, or the group would have to work their way to that person.

What I would like to see is something like Hirode's Chrysalis as an actual resurrection (or be able to cast it on a corpse).  It would surround them in the protective chrysalis for a short period of time and then returns them to X% max health and mana.  I have no problem with the delayed effect as compared to the other healers, since we have an effect that can prevent a character from dieing in the first place.

• 1112 posts
    July 25, 2018 3:20 PM PDT

I honestly have no doubt druids will get a resurrection spell, becuase that is a very important ability to have for a healer especially when it comes to dungeon crawling, and things like this, plus not only does the other healers have it but so do paladins, so if paladins are getting a rez their isnt much of a reason why druids shouldn't get one, granted it can be a bit different that a normal rez like the clerics and such, but they need something is a rez effect so they arent overlooked as healers in hard dungeon crawls.

• 61 posts
    July 25, 2018 9:16 PM PDT

How awesome would it be to pop a resurrection tree? Huddle the corpses under the branches of your Verdantfire Tree out of combat, and they come back to life one-by-one over time. The downsides being mobility and that you wouldn't pick the order of who comes back, the upside being slightly less micromanagement and a freaking rez tree. Pair that with Mantle of Leaves - hooboy. That'd be one heck of an efficient group recovery toolset with the regen tree doubling as the rez tree.

Or maybe Hirode can zip off and fetch the target's soul, do a cute little pounce onto their corpse and shove it back in. Hirode's Call?

Or you plant a seed in a target's corpse that sprouts and encases them in vines - healing and reanimating them. Seed of Life.

Or maybe you plant a Seed of Life in your party members, which can be used by any living party member to bring the druid back to life. The druid will then use the seeds on the corpses of his fallen allies to revive them. Like a pre-rez/consumable hybrid rez. Relies on casting the spell/buff during buffing/rebuffing - then a slealthy/invis class to drag corpses and pop you up in a safe recovery spot.

Or maybe more of a summon corpse/group rez available at Wandering Stones? The ability to call your groupmembers' corpses to the Stones, where they'll be revived similar to the tree idea above? Not so great for recovering in a dungeon, but maybe pair it with Hirode's Rescue to set up a sweet summoning tree back inside a dungeon?

Speculation is fun.

Some of these hinge on how other spells will function as well, especially when you recognize resurrection is only one facet of the larger issue of corpse recovery. Will Hirode's Rescue work as a zone-wide or local summon? What's the recast on Verdantfire Tree? Can you cast MoL outside a dungeon and then walk into an interior zone and keep the invis? Will zones be doubled up interior to interior, so you can't rely on MoL in this manner? Will MoL be upgradable to cover magical creatures or work indoors? How common are zones populated by magical creatures? Will other classes, like the enchanter, necromancer, or bard, be able to cast/sing invis/invis vs. undead/magical on other players?

We still know so little about how all of the revealed abilities will function that speculation is going to range pretty wide.

TL;DR - We'll see!

• 569 posts
    July 25, 2018 11:21 PM PDT

DagNabbit said:

How awesome would it be to pop a resurrection tree? Huddle the corpses under the branches of your Verdantfire Tree out of combat, and they come back to life one-by-one over time. The downsides being mobility and that you wouldn't pick the order of who comes back, the upside being slightly less micromanagement and a freaking rez tree. Pair that with Mantle of Leaves - hooboy. That'd be one heck of an efficient group recovery toolset with the regen tree doubling as the rez tree.

Druid epic skill revealed! :)

• 278 posts
    July 26, 2018 12:14 AM PDT

It's stil early days to call out that druids will not get a resurrection spell or such. They are trying to find a way to differentiate the three healers so that not all healers can do the same thing. As they are doing with the tanks. So in a way it's understandable  that they are trying out a healer without a resurrection spell in this stage of game development. One must keep an open mind here, if they manage to create a druid that doesn't require a ressurection spell and still is comparable /compatable to other healers than that's a big thing. 

Currently if you use Hirode's Chrysalis on a player, and while he's immune you have heals going you can put them back at full hp. If you use Verdanfire Tree in a certain location and then Hirode's Rescue, you've take the player away from the hits and into a healing position. If it was a tank you use your offensive abilities to stun, interrupt, remove, slow down incoming attacks. That's a lot. Meanwhile you have heals going and you might reuse Hirode's Chrysalis on that same player where it previously triggered. And you're back in without deaths. And that's just you, we're not talking about any other players who might weaken the enemy or aid in the healing or recupperation of the player with low hp. A druid has so many different options to safe the day but he'll need to be much more proactive instead of just splashes. He'll need to think about positioning and healing effects. That's somewhat different that the splashhealing druids from other mmo's.

This will be a game where dieing is a real threat, not just quick ressurection click away. (at least not for now) I see a lot of fun in playing this kind of druid, just image pulling it of without deaths. 

Perhaps the druid is more about near death defense and blockage and regen. Lifesafes instead of ressurections. I do see an option later on the druid levels (sorts of speak) where the dog or other companion allows the druid to ressurect a fallen player out of combat. That's just an example here. But I'm trying to point out, the difference in style. 

It could also be that when the druid's defensive spells are worn out, and his heals are worn out, and his lifesafes are triggered, the dieing player might get summoned to the druid and he goes in a feigndeath state for example...by being covered up by roots, dirt and leaves.

One of my primary classes in any mmo is druid and indeed you see all the familiar spells coming back as if it's a template to what a druid should be able to do and how. But one must keep an open mind here when developing a game and this healer class. It's not just a "all healers must have at least ..." kind of mindset. They just might surprise you. There might be a druid ressurection spell, but it might not be so obviously present or so often useable than the Plea of the Devout from a cleric for example. It's different playstyle they are aiming for. And not giving another healer an incombat res or a res entirely is a risky loop but certainly one I'm willing to try out.

And again, everything created might change and change again throughout the development, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt and see how the beta and alpha stage go ingame? 

• 49 posts
    July 26, 2018 5:18 AM PDT

@Dagnabbit I really love the idea of the tree bringing the corpses back to life that would be so fitting with how the Druid seems to work!

I think all the healers should get a res even if it's not an XP res just for high level dungeons not to be a pain if you can't find a Cleric/Paladin. I also hope once you hit max level the xp debt / down leveling is shut off that way you can not have xp res and it's not a major issue. Also it allows for the Cleric xp res to be a much lower percent so it's nice to get one, but not mandatory (which would make leveling harder and compensate for not downleveling at max being a bit easy mode). As much as I want each healer to be really unique (they have managed it imo) only one getting a proper out of combat res would really skew the balance for raids/high level content. 

• 278 posts
    July 27, 2018 1:35 AM PDT

Thallium said:

@Dagnabbit I really love the idea of the tree bringing the corpses back to life that would be so fitting with how the Druid seems to work!

I think all the healers should get a res even if it's not an XP res just for high level dungeons not to be a pain if you can't find a Cleric/Paladin. I also hope once you hit max level the xp debt / down leveling is shut off that way you can not have xp res and it's not a major issue. Also it allows for the Cleric xp res to be a much lower percent so it's nice to get one, but not mandatory (which would make leveling harder and compensate for not downleveling at max being a bit easy mode). As much as I want each healer to be really unique (they have managed it imo) only one getting a proper out of combat res would really skew the balance for raids/high level content. 

Slightly off topic here but, in high level dungeons you might need to rely on the Vinewoven Bridge of the druid. Other healers don't have that...It's the difference that creates ups and downs amongst all classes. I'm not sure, they're going for a "you can have it all" classdesign.

This post was edited by Barin999 at July 27, 2018 1:36 AM PDT
    • 2356 posts
    July 27, 2018 11:27 AM PDT

They've said the plan is for all healers to have resurrection. 

• 32 posts
    July 30, 2018 6:09 PM PDT

Sarim said:

DagNabbit said:

Druid epic skill revealed! :)

I think this is a great idea!!!

• 1112 posts
    July 31, 2018 8:09 AM PDT
    Thank you iksar for the bit of insight, granted I understand we want all healers to be different, and let's be honest for what we have alrdy seen they are all completely different, and them getting resurrection spells won't change that, it is a core healing ability, to me a healer that can't rez would be a burden, even if they were the strongest healers, that like saying a class is a tank but get nothing to help them create aggro cept by hitting harder than the only class.......aka brawler on tera, what a poor design.