Forums » The Dire Lord

"fear" and "hatred"

• 15 posts
    July 18, 2018 7:30 PM PDT

The more I hear about the Dire Lord the more I am interested in it as a uniquely flavored tank. Does anyone know if abilities such as Provoking Phantoms and Nightmare Blood translate directly to aggro or if there is some kind of additional hate/fear mechanic to the game? I could see "bonus Hate" being equal to aggro, but then what is "deepening fear" and other references to the power of fear.. just flavor text for the class? I guess I just need to have more patience, I want to know everything about how the class plays now lol

• 240 posts
    July 18, 2018 8:43 PM PDT

Hehe, I have the same questions. I think Nightmare Blood is probably just bonus aggro. I'm not sure about Provoking Phantoms, but my thought was that it might be similar to the Dreadknight ability in Vanguard -- something that gives you greater combat bonuses the longer you stay on one enemy. Or it could just be more aggro too. :P

• 49 posts
    July 19, 2018 9:32 AM PDT

Nightmare Blood
    The damage you deal afflicts your enemy with palpable horror, converting X% of your damage into bonus Hate.

Hate is another word for Aggro/Threat so yes bonus Aggro if you use this stance --

Provoking Phantoms

The longer you stay focused on the same enemy in combat, the more terrifying you will become to them, deepening their fear and hatred of you exponentially over time.

This I imagine is a similar deal; the longer you keep attacking the same target the more "Hate" each attack generates? So sorta an expontial hate generating move; this doesn't seem to be a passive so I guess it's the sort of thing you would put on a boss mob to ensure you keep it on you the entire time.

As for the other language they use in the descriptions it's not completely clear if it's just flavour - they talk about the mob being fearful of you, how you're 'terrifying' normally in these sorts of games fear causes the mobs to run away or be crowd controlled on the spot. That seems counter productive to trying to generate hate/tank so I'm guessing it is nothing more than flavour but who knows how the Dire Lords fear mechanics will work if they even get any. 

• 1718 posts
    July 19, 2018 12:05 PM PDT

Those two abilities of the DireLord will be so benefial to groups with multiple casters.  DL, CLR, SHM, WIZ, WIZ, WIZ groups could prove to be ubelievably powerful if the DL's capability to hold onto aggro is unmatched.  Casters have always had problems with tanks keeping aggro, always having to wait till the mob is quite damaged before unloading.  This could alleviate that, allowing casters to burn down mobs quickly with little fear of pulling aggro.

• 15 posts
    July 19, 2018 12:27 PM PDT

It would be cool if terrified (or whatever term they use) was some kind of debuff that could be taken advantage of in combat. Then abilities such as Splatter could spread it to other mobs. I don't imagine it would be EQ style invoke fear but maybe something original. I just have this feeling that there's going to be more to the class's mechanics than we know. Time will tell. Someone hinted that they haven't announced the dire lord's main method of mitigation yet (ie they might have more than armor, regen and magic resist to keep them on their feet) and we know that the abilities on the class pages are just a partial sample of what they can do so I'll just have to endure until more details are released :)