Forums » The Rogue

Positioning abilties

• 264 posts
    July 13, 2018 5:50 PM PDT

In EQ2, rogues classes (Brigand, Assassin, Swashbuckler) needed to perform their abilities on a certain area of the target. Some attacks were only initiated from behind the target, or on a side. The gameplay would change from a rogue class to another. For example, the assassin's best abiltiies would only be used behind the target and while invisible, whereas the brigand and swashbuckler had to move around more, place quick attacks that would disable the target for a short period of time, to allow them to quickly move to a side and manage their use other abilties that would exclusiblely be used on the side of the target.

How important positioning will be for the rogue in Pantheon? What do you guys think of the EQ2 design?

• 156 posts
    July 13, 2018 9:48 PM PDT

I don't mind position based abilities as long as it isn't a huge hassle. I don't want to play a Dance Dance Revolution simulator with 8 linked ability chains or anything like that.

• 1164 posts
    July 15, 2018 4:32 PM PDT

LucasBlackstone said:

I don't mind position based abilities as long as it isn't a huge hassle. I don't want to play a Dance Dance Revolution simulator with 8 linked ability chains or anything like that.

So things like BACKstab, you don't want to have to be behind them to, you know, stab them in the back?

• 156 posts
    July 15, 2018 10:12 PM PDT

Kalok said:

LucasBlackstone said:

So things like BACKstab, you don't want to have to be behind them to, you know, stab them in the back?

I'm not sure what you mean. The first half of the post was " I don't mind position based abilities as long as it isn't a huge hassle. " That seemed clear to me that I had indicated I didn't mind position based abilities. I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I added in disliking 8 move combo chains because I felt that was an example of what was a hassle. Backstab isn't a chain of linked moves, it's be behind enemy. Stab them. Again, I am not sure where the confusion came in.

• 35 posts
    July 29, 2018 12:38 AM PDT

I can't think of many situations in combat when playing a Rogue I wouldn't be behind the mob. In early/mid cycle EQ if this situation arose you'd "kill yourself" in a single round of Ripostes.

This post was edited by rocketmagnet at July 29, 2018 12:39 AM PDT
    • 264 posts
    July 29, 2018 1:31 AM PDT

That's good to know! Did you get a damage boost for being behind the target?

• 1727 posts
    July 29, 2018 3:02 AM PDT

Ithaca said:

That's good to know! Did you get a damage boost for being behind the target?

In EQ1 you would reduce to zero every avoidance the ennemy has by beeing in his back (Parry, Riposte and if I remember right dodge). Backstab as well would only deal his normal damage if used from back, you could use it from the front or side, but it would only deal a standart melee attack damage, which would by around 4 or more times lower than a true backstab.

While the rogue was the only class concerned by backstab, every melee class was hindered by avoidance, and a melee beeing riposted could my killed in one single blow, so beeing in the back was the only way to be.

• 204 posts
    August 25, 2018 6:17 AM PDT

I like having to position my characters to get optimal damage (rogue) or to get the enemy to face away from the rest of the party (tank).

Watching some Vanguard clips, and I hope the Pantheon Rogue gets an ability like that of the Dread Knights Shadowstep. Great skill for going from safely nestled in the middle of your party to suddenly being at the back of your enemy.