Forums » The Druid

Harness Trait

• 264 posts
    July 12, 2018 5:54 PM PDT

What do you guys think about having only 1 trait available on a target at a time? 

Initially I was surprised by it. Perhaps Druids will get group buffs as well but it looks like it is not going to be the case. 

Will the number of the trait be much higher than a Shaman buff for example? to compensate not being shared to the whole group?

I like the idea to pick the right buff for the right party member and right role. 

Any thoughts? 

• 1592 posts
    July 12, 2018 6:37 PM PDT

It's entirely possible at higher levels we may get the ability to put multiple traits on them.  Plus we may also get buffs and such that aren't traits but can be put on people (such as Verdanfire Vines).

• 264 posts
    July 12, 2018 7:16 PM PDT

kelenin said:

It's entirely possible at higher levels we may get the ability to put multiple traits on them.

I thought about it. Perhaps it would be a Duid epic ability and it would let them use multiple traits on the same target. 

• 564 posts
    July 13, 2018 6:49 AM PDT

Ithaca said:

What do you guys think about having only 1 trait available on a target at a time? 

Initially I was surprised by it. Perhaps Druids will get group buffs as well but it looks like it is not going to be the case. 

Will the number of the trait be much higher than a Shaman buff for example? to compensate not being shared to the whole group?

I like the idea to pick the right buff for the right party member and right role. 

Any thoughts? 

I don't think a group version would really fit.  It sounds like there will be several traits, I imagine there might be "best in slot" traits for pretty much every situation/class, so group casts probably wouldn't be very useful outside of raids with one class in each group.

Unless of course you harness the trait from something around you and then immediately cast the trait on someone, rather than storing the trait permanently. In that case a group version would be immensely useful. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at July 13, 2018 6:51 AM PDT
    • 720 posts
    July 13, 2018 8:59 AM PDT

Some of these traits are amazing. I can see one that is used for SoW basically, but also a trait that can make people nearly immuned to stun and increase armor and stamina. However, if you can only have one at a time, or one per person in group, then they better be good lol.

• 156 posts
    July 13, 2018 9:34 AM PDT

It kind of feels like bard songs from EQ1 to me. While yes, you have a ton to choose from, you have to pick the right ones for the right time.

• 264 posts
    July 13, 2018 3:27 PM PDT

Addtional questions I had:

Should all buffs by default be cast on both grouped target and not grouped target?

Should VR design different type of buffs? Some buffs would not be able to be casted on a non grouped target while others will only be working on grouped target? 

• 1592 posts
    July 13, 2018 3:39 PM PDT

Ithaca said:

Addtional questions I had:

Should all buffs by default be cast on both grouped target and not grouped target?

Should VR design different type of buffs? Some buffs would not be able to be casted on a non grouped target while others will only be working on grouped target? 

In Everquest, most buffs were single target (with a couple of exceptions).  Most classes didn't gain group buffs until Kunark came out.  Up until then, having single target buffs was not a problem, because they generally lasted for 29 minutes or longer.  You buff your group members, not always having to do them all, and then spend a half hour doing stuff before you rebuff.  When group buffs came out, it made you feel like you accomplished something.  You just got a group version of the buffs you've been having to single cast all along.

As long as the single target versions aren't annoying (recasting every 5 minutes), then I would like to see getting group versions of buffs being an accomplishment.

• 264 posts
    July 13, 2018 4:47 PM PDT

kelenin said:

In Everquest, most buffs were single target (with a couple of exceptions).  Most classes didn't gain group buffs until Kunark came out.  Up until then, having single target buffs was not a problem, because they generally lasted for 29 minutes or longer.  You buff your group members, not always having to do them all, and then spend a half hour doing stuff before you rebuff.  When group buffs came out, it made you feel like you accomplished something.  You just got a group version of the buffs you've been having to single cast all along.

As long as the single target versions aren't annoying (recasting every 5 minutes), then I would like to see getting group versions of buffs being an accomplishment.

In Everquest 2 most buffs were group buffs but some exceptions tied to hate generation. I am wondering if VR will change thing up, and not allowed a target not grouped with the buffer to be able to be buffed. I do not know why they would do that but perhaps it makes sense for very strong buff to be only working if the buffer and buffed are in the same group. If the buffed target would leave the group, the buff would be removed. 

I do not know if we could consider Dire Mark (dire Lord ability) to be a buff, but it does work like that. If the marked target leaves the group, Dire Mark is no longer active. 

Would it be a big issue if buffs would only be active if the buffer and buffed target belong to the same group?

• 260 posts
    July 14, 2018 7:06 PM PDT

I love the idea of Traits. It's a novel and fresh mechanic, at least in my MMO experiences. Each ally only allowed to have one Trait requires us Druids to plan a bit more rather than spamming the whole buff list to everyone.

• 1571 posts
    July 15, 2018 11:56 AM PDT

Reminds me of Wow's paladin's Blessings, when you had to "choose" what blessing for which member, based on their needs.

I like the idea of having to get them throught the world, even if for some they are "lame EQ1 buffs with longer names", what would have make them different anyway, they are buffs and cover areas of needs.

• 228 posts
    July 15, 2018 12:05 PM PDT

I like the trait idea in general. Hopefully the bonuses will be high enough to offset the fact that each character can only have one trait active at a time. Plus, some, like the bear and panthras traits, actually do raise multiple stats.

• 272 posts
    July 15, 2018 12:58 PM PDT

Reminds me of organ implants from the Blood mage in vanguard.  Harvest organs from foes and convert them into consumable buffs, limit of one per person at a time, each type conferring different buffs and bonus for I think it was an hour.

• 264 posts
    July 15, 2018 6:17 PM PDT

Xilshale said:

Reminds me of organ implants from the Blood mage in vanguard.  Harvest organs from foes and convert them into consumable buffs, limit of one per person at a time, each type conferring different buffs and bonus for I think it was an hour.

Interesting concept! Don't know how it will work out. I can see druids gathering oak branches for the oak buff. But killing wolf or panther do not feel correct. 

• 398 posts
    July 24, 2018 12:44 PM PDT

The harness trait passive ability is so vague at the moment. To my imagination it sounds amazing, but in actuality it could be anything

I would love it to be something like touching trees or rocks you harness their toughness and gain skin like bark or stone for defensive skills or buffs and touching leaves gives you camouflage. That sort of thing. Maybe its how you learn your spell to imbue the traits?  Imbue Trait: Oaken Regeneration , or Mantle of Leaves....who knows

This post was edited by Bronsun at July 24, 2018 12:55 PM PDT
    • 228 posts
    July 24, 2018 1:18 PM PDT

Bronsun said:

The harness trait passive ability is so vague at the moment. To my imagination it sounds amazing, but in actuality it could be anything

I would love it to be something like touching trees or rocks you harness their toughness and gain skin like bark or stone for defensive skills or buffs and touching leaves gives you camouflage. That sort of thing. Maybe its how you learn your spell to imbue the traits?  Imbue Trait: Oaken Regeneration , or Mantle of Leaves....who knows

My take on it is that Harness Trait is the name for the Druid's ability to essentially "collect" buffs from things in the environment. For example, fighting (or maybe even just walking near) a grizzly bear would allow the Druid to harness the Grizzly buff, making it a permanent addition to their repertoire of spells. They could then cast (imbue) it on friendly targets forever after. As the Druid gains experience, they would be able to harness more powerful versions of the buffs, like Thunderpaw as an upgrade to Grizzly.

Just my thoughts, but that was how it sounded to me when I read it.

This post was edited by Gyldervane at July 24, 2018 7:59 PM PDT
    • 398 posts
    July 24, 2018 6:58 PM PDT

Gyldervane said:

My take on it is that Harness Trait is the name for the Druid's ability to essentially "collect" buffs from things in the environment. For example, fighting (or maybe even just walking near) a panthras would allow the Druid to harness the Grizzly buff, making it a permanent addition to their repertoire of spells. They could then cast (imbue) it on friendly targets forever after. As the Druid gains experience, they would be able to harness more powerful versions of the buffs, like Thunderpaw as an upgrade to Grizzly.

Just my thoughts, but that was how it sounded to me when I read it.

Exactly. I would really love to see Druids ( or any class that has a similar mechanic ) interact with the environment much like you would if you were mining ore for instance in some other game. As the Druid though, you would approach something in the world, a tree, rock, animal , something nature oriented and interact with it directly to harness the energy from it. Show some cool animation as it occurs. This would be so interesting to me and  nothing like I have ever seen in a game before.

This post was edited by Bronsun at July 24, 2018 6:59 PM PDT
    • 264 posts
    July 24, 2018 7:28 PM PDT

Bronsun said:

Exactly. I would really love to see Druids ( or any class that has a similar mechanic ) interact with the environment much like you would if you were mining ore for instance in some other game. As the Druid though, you would approach something in the world, a tree, rock, animal , something nature oriented and interact with it directly to harness the energy from it. Show some cool animation as it occurs. This would be so interesting to me and  nothing like I have ever seen in a game before.

It is highly possible that it is going to work like that. Remember they have a passive that let them approach animals and not take aggro. Perhaps for that reason... so druids can harvest energy from animals without hurting them and craft buff from it for their team mates. 

• 1592 posts
    July 25, 2018 2:44 AM PDT

I'm not entirely sure I like that idea.  I'd hate to tell my group, you mind if we swing by area X so I can buff Bob?  Then go by area Y so I can buff Steve and George.  Then go by area Z so I can buff myself and Tina?

Honestly, if they require that kind of work, they'd have to be powerful enough to make it worth it.  Then if it is worth it, you know you're going to want to do it, so you'll be wasting 20+ minutes every time you join a group just to buff them.

• 228 posts
    July 25, 2018 11:28 AM PDT

kelenin said:

I'm not entirely sure I like that idea.  I'd hate to tell my group, you mind if we swing by area X so I can buff Bob?  Then go by area Y so I can buff Steve and George.  Then go by area Z so I can buff myself and Tina?

Honestly, if they require that kind of work, they'd have to be powerful enough to make it worth it.  Then if it is worth it, you know you're going to want to do it, so you'll be wasting 20+ minutes every time you join a group just to buff them.

Oh no, I'm sure it wouldn't work like that. I agree that would be horrible. I'm imagining that you only have to make contact with a certain animal, etc. one time, and then you'll always have the ability to cast that buff anytime after that. All you'd need to do is commune with more powerful creatures as you level, and you'll always have the buffs ready to go when you join a group. In essence, it's just like acquiring a spell by visiting a trainer, except your "trainers" are roaming out in the wilderness.

• 264 posts
    July 25, 2018 12:10 PM PDT

kelenin said:

I meant it at a one time thing. You would not need to go back every time. But it could be cool to explore and meet incredible beast, trees, and places to collect their energies and have access to new buffs.

• 264 posts
    July 25, 2018 12:11 PM PDT

Gyldervane said:

Oh no, I'm sure it wouldn't work like that. I agree that would be horrible. I'm imagining that you only have to make contact with a certain animal, etc. one time, and then you'll always have the ability to cast that buff anytime after that. All you'd need to do is commune with more powerful creatures as you level, and you'll always have the buffs ready to go when you join a group. In essence, it's just like acquiring a spell by visiting a trainer, except your "trainers" are roaming out in the wilderness.

My thought too. 

• Wig
    • 180 posts
    July 25, 2018 12:40 PM PDT

I’m pretty sure they are already doing something similar to this. Not all spells will be bought from a trainer, some spells will have to be discovered out in the world.