Forums » Pantheon Classes

Ability costs - mana? Special combat resource?

• 724 posts
    July 12, 2018 1:51 AM PDT

Now that we have seen a good number of class reveals, I'm wondering how the abilities of all those classes with a special combat resource will work. In the streams we have seen all classes with the good old mana bar so far. But in the cleric reveal for example, it is mentioned their abilities cost Celestial Power.

So...how will this work? Will their abilities cost both mana and Celestial Power? Or will there be some that use only mana, and some that use only Celestial Power? What does this mean for the user interface (since it looks so far like other group members will only see the mana bar)? How does this all come together with the colored mana (if that is still a thing)?

So many questions :)

• 41 posts
    July 12, 2018 1:59 AM PDT

Sarim said:

Now that we have seen a good number of class reveals, I'm wondering how the abilities of all those classes with a special combat resource will work. In the streams we have seen all classes with the good old mana bar so far. But in the cleric reveal for example, it is mentioned their abilities cost Celestial Power.

So...how will this work? Will their abilities cost both mana and Celestial Power? Or will there be some that use only mana, and some that use only Celestial Power? What does this mean for the user interface (since it looks so far like other group members will only see the mana bar)? How does this all come together with the colored mana (if that is still a thing)?

So many questions :)

"Clerics gain Celestial Power as a percentage of the effective healing they perform on themselves and their allies."

"Also, certain abilities increase a Cleric’s Celestial Power by a certain amount when used. Other abilities have a Celestial Power cost in order to be performed."

"When a Cleric has accumulated enough Celestial Power, a Celestial Bond forms. While this Celestial Bond is active, the Celestial Power cost of abilities is reduced by X%."

"

Celestial Focus

Epic Skill. When you meditate, you will generate Celestial Power in addition to Mana."

I would imagine from reading this some abilities have to only cost mana, because pre your epic meditation skill you have no way of generating Celestial Power other than to cast heals. So not everything can cost it. It also seems that there is a strong reason to keep your Celestial Power above a certain threshold in order to maintain the Celestial Bond...

So my assumption is you will mostly be using mana to cast 'bread and butter' skills then weaving in CP skills for more serious situations or at key points in the fight.

However it works though all these dual resource mechanics seem pretty interesting; the Ranger one gives IAS buff if you maintain it so again it will be about keeping a balance and knowing when to just keep it above a certain threshold and when to dump it for certain skills. 

That's my assumptions anyway.

This post was edited by Thallium at July 12, 2018 2:00 AM PDT
    • 690 posts
    July 12, 2018 7:40 AM PDT

Thallium said:

I would imagine from reading this some abilities have to only cost mana, because pre your epic meditation skill you have no way of generating Celestial Power other than to cast heals. So not everything can cost it. It also seems that there is a strong reason to keep your Celestial Power above a certain threshold in order to maintain the Celestial Bond...

It looks like cleric will get some few free heal abilities. Like how they heal themselves when they attack in melee. It'd get pretty annoying though if you couldn't even cast until you've smacked an enemy a couple of times.