Forums » The Druid

Druid Teleports

• 23 posts
    July 11, 2018 8:44 PM PDT

It looks like we have the answer to if Druids will get teleports. I am also glad it soulds like you have to go to the wandering stones to attune to them before you can teleport to them.

• 272 posts
    July 11, 2018 9:31 PM PDT
    Seem to recall having to do that in eq2 back in the day too.
    • 1592 posts
    July 12, 2018 3:06 AM PDT

It kinda sounds like in order to travel to one, you also need to be at another.  It could just be a wierd choice of wording, but they didn't say druids could "travel to them", but instead said druids could "travel between them."

• Wig
    • 180 posts
    July 12, 2018 5:07 AM PDT
    I’m happy druid get ports...time to make some monaaay
    • 23 posts
    July 12, 2018 8:16 AM PDT

Xilshale said: Seem to recall having to do that in eq2 back in the day too.

No, you just had to buy the spell.

• 23 posts
    July 12, 2018 8:17 AM PDT

kelenin said:

It kinda sounds like in order to travel to one, you also need to be at another.  It could just be a wierd choice of wording, but they didn't say druids could "travel to them", but instead said druids could "travel between them."

Yeah, sound that way, might even have a distance limit as far as we know.

• 272 posts
    July 12, 2018 8:24 AM PDT
    "Because of this, it is rumored that Druids are somehow able to attune to these Wandering Stones and travel between them. And perhaps there is even more to these stones than most realize..."

Sounds to me like it's not teleport from anywhere but an open a gateway at the site of a wandering stone to travel to a different one...so subway not taxi service. Perhaps the "something more" will be an epic ability that allows on the spot teleports or evac to nearest stone?
    • 255 posts
    July 15, 2018 10:36 AM PDT

drakebrimstone said:

Nope. In the early days of EQ2, you actually had to physically travel to each druid portal (or spire for a wizard) once to attune to the location before you could travel to it. It was that way at least until Kingdom of Sky expansion came out. Later, you just went to your trainer and bought the scroll ability and *poof* you knew them all.

• 260 posts
    July 15, 2018 10:58 AM PDT

I wonder if they will limit the number of stones we can attune to and increase that limit as we level. I'd welcome that restriction.
    Also, how many wandering stones do you think there will be? I hope they are fairly infrequent so we are inclined to travel by foot too.

• 228 posts
    July 15, 2018 12:00 PM PDT

This brings up the question of what normal fast travel for all races will look like in the game. I would imagine there would have to be some form of limited fast travel for all classes. If Wandering Stones form a travel network that only Druids can access, will there be a similar but separate travel network for all classes? Or will regular fast travel work differently? Or will Wandering Stones be a port rather than a travel network? Hopefully the two systems will be different enough that Wandering Stones bring something substantial and new to the table.

This post was edited by Gyldervane at July 15, 2018 12:01 PM PDT
    • 2365 posts
    July 16, 2018 11:09 AM PDT

I don't imagine there will be any kind of "normal" fast travel for all races/classes. In order to keep travel generally meaningful I'd bet on teleports being limited to a couple classes at most. 

• 272 posts
    July 16, 2018 5:50 PM PDT

The most I can see for an all classes thing is a continent to continent jump gate of sorts that you travel to to get to the next landmass.

• 260 posts
    July 16, 2018 9:11 PM PDT

Xilshale said:

The most I can see for an all classes thing is a continent to continent jump gate of sorts that you travel to to get to the next landmass.

Hopefully we get boat travel instead. I loved the downtime waiting at the docks (nostalgia warning).

• 228 posts
    July 17, 2018 1:09 AM PDT

Xilshale said:

That would be interesting. I've been assuming there would be some limited fast travel for all classes, but if there isn't it would make Druids very valuable. :)

• 4252 posts
    July 17, 2018 9:53 AM PDT

Gyldervane said:

Xilshale said:

That would be interesting. I've been assuming there would be some limited fast travel for all classes, but if there isn't it would make Druids very valuable. :)

I wouldn't assume there'd be fast travel for all classes. They've always been designing classes to have a unique identity, with each having abilities that make them desirable. Having to depend on others is a big part of promoting social interaction. And in this case, very limited fast travel is also part of their longtime philosophy of making the world feel big.

From the FAQ:

19.0 What can you tell me about travel in Pantheon? Will there be teleportation? Will there be any limits or restrictions?

Pantheon will have meaningful travel -- players will need to travel to new areas and face the dangers that come with such a journey. That said, there will be spells like 'Call of the Hero', which summons an ally to your side if they are grouped with you. There will also be a caravan-like system, where a player can log out whilst in a group and then log back in and still be with the group, even if that group has moved. There will also be additional ways to help groups come together and stay together. But it's also important to note that this doesn't mean people will be able to travel as they please, to anywhere in the world, at a whim; especially if they haven't travelled there by foot or horse at least once (e.g. players will need to unlock certain regions by travelling there first). More details to come as we get closer to beta and launch.

19.3 Will there be any form of sea travel to get across large bodies of water? Will swimming be an option?

We've not finalized how sea travel will work at launch, but eventually you'll be able to sail ships around the world (definitely post-launch). Before all of that is implemented, however, and by launch, some limited class abilities like those that teleport you over land would likely teleport you over water as well.

As for Swimming, it is not only an option but a very important skill with one of our player races being aquatic. Spells and items that give your character underwater breathing can also be obtained.

• 1592 posts
    July 17, 2018 10:10 AM PDT

Of course, we're all assuming that it is teleports.  The actual text is:

Because of this, it is rumored that Druids are somehow able to attune to these Wandering Stones and travel between them.

Note that a druid being able to walk from one of the Wandering Stones to another is technically travelling between them....

• 260 posts
    July 17, 2018 1:01 PM PDT

kelenin said:

Note that a druid being able to walk from one of the Wandering Stones to another is technically travelling between them....

Lol, I doubt the team is trolly enough to stick us with semantics. You aren't wrong though! :D

• 23 posts
    July 19, 2018 8:58 AM PDT

wildenightwolf said:

drakebrimstone said:

Nope. In the early days of EQ2, you actually had to physically travel to each druid portal (or spire for a wizard) once to attune to the location before you could travel to it. It was that way at least until Kingdom of Sky expansion came out. Later, you just went to your trainer and bought the scroll ability and *poof* you knew them all.

I'm talking EQ1

• 71 posts
    July 24, 2018 7:43 AM PDT

drakebrimstone said:

wildenightwolf said:

drakebrimstone said:

I'm talking EQ1

Well, the post you quoted and replied to was talking about EQ2.

Please read more carefully.

• 14 posts
    August 10, 2018 3:37 PM PDT

Syntro said:

Xilshale said:

Hopefully we get boat travel instead. I loved the downtime waiting at the docks (nostalgia warning).

^This, please. I hate how newer games have moved away from this. So much social interaction occured while waiting on a boat to arrive. Nowadays we have click here, boom you are here now and never have to see a soul. Just like flying mounts ruining games because instead of seeing people doing things on the streets, you are just above the tree line going in a straight line.

• 142 posts
    May 30, 2019 7:54 PM PDT

Having such QoL abilities as ports makes it very difficult for me to choose another class to play.