Forums » The Wizard

Will Wizzies have Teleports/Translocates?

• 6 posts
    June 26, 2018 6:08 AM PDT

Hi Guys, ran a little search and couldn't find much information on plans about teleportation etc for the game. Does anyone know if they intend to give wizzies or possibly others classes a teleport ability?

One thing I don't want to see is the anything remotely close to Planes of Power books slapped all over the place. I think if they had stopped with just the Nexus in Everquest that would of been fine. But as soon as they dropped books at pretty much half the zones in the game, it seriously destroyed the social/travel aspect of being a wizzy. Gone were the days of constantly getting harrassed for teleports. It actually gave you a massive source of income in the early days of Everquest before POP. I'm sure many a wizzies can remember having your macro setup for your teleportation services!

Even if they are extremely limited in options for teleports as the game starts and slowly add more as more content/land/quests would be fantastic.

Does anyone know how to setup or do polls? Sorry i'm a bit of a forum newbie! Would love a poll with 3 options 

1 - No Teleports available for any class

2 - Teleports available to a select 1/2 classes with 0 NPC ports available (e.g. Nexus Spires/POP Books)

3 - Teleports Available to a select 1/2 classes with NPC ports readily availble.

Any light anyone can shed on this is greatly appreciated.

• 30 posts
    June 26, 2018 7:20 AM PDT

I believe that only VR people can do polls. As a future wizard, I've been paying attention to this as well. I believe that wizards and druids will both have teleports. When the game launches, I do not think there will be any NPC teleportation.

I assume that, like in EQ, teleports will not be available until higher levels. If you check out the wiki, noobie wizards get a "gate" like spell that has a high failure rate.

• 3823 posts
    June 26, 2018 7:44 AM PDT

Keeping the world big is very important in Pantheon. Teleporting will be the exception rather than the norm. There will be some teleport abilities, but they will be very limited. Apart from only a select few classes having them (perhaps at high levels and/or high mana cost), you will probably have to already have visited the destination before being able to teleport there.

From the FAQ:

"19.0 What can you tell me about travel in Pantheon? Will there be teleportation? Will there be any limits or restrictions?

Pantheon will have meaningful travel -- players will need to travel to new areas and face the dangers that come with such a journey. That said, there will be spells like 'Call of the Hero', which summons an ally to your side if they are grouped with you. There will also be a caravan-like system, where a player can log out whilst in a group and then log back in and still be with the group, even if that group has moved. There will also be additional ways to help groups come together and stay together. But it's also important to note that this doesn't mean people will be able to travel as they please, to anywhere in the world, at a whim; especially if they haven't travelled there by foot or horse at least once (e.g. players will need to unlock certain regions by travelling there first). More details to come as we get closer to beta and launch."

Also see: 00:53:45 Traveling in Pantheon: portals and boats

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 26, 2018 7:45 AM PDT
    • 133 posts
    August 2, 2018 9:31 PM PDT

I just hope there won't be nexus/pok teleports. Those, along with the bazaar, were the first steps that took everquest down.

Players need to rely on each other and socialize, to make a great community. DIY is baaad... for mmorpgs at least.

• 1074 posts
    August 3, 2018 10:55 PM PDT
    There will be a portal that will take players from one continent to the other. From my understanding it will only be one per continent and not connected to starting cities.
    • 325 posts
    August 4, 2018 3:13 AM PDT
    Grrr...
    • 701 posts
    September 2, 2018 1:01 PM PDT

Yes, there will be gating and teleporting in Pantheon.

But, I think there will be a (craftable) cost/reagents for Wizard portals and group teleportation. Making it rather costly, based on region or environment. With many fizzles and shortcomings..

This post was edited by Hieromonk at September 2, 2018 1:02 PM PDT
    • 421 posts
    September 4, 2018 7:58 PM PDT

Just posted this in a different thread, but thought it was worth pointing out here:

In the Druid class reveal: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/classes/druid/

Wandering Stones

Explorers have noted the presence of ancient, iridescent stones that stand within shrines hidden amid the groves and wilds of Terminus. These stones have come to be known as “Wandering Stones” and are seething with Druidic magic. Because of this, it is rumored that Druids are somehow able to attune to these Wandering Stones and travel between them. And perhaps there is even more to these stones than most realize...

As for Wizards... In their class reveal: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/classes/wizard/

Order of the Gatewalkers

Epic Skill. Wizards have the opportunity to prove themselves worthy of joining the Order of the Gatewalkers, consisting of Wizards who have mastered the power to travel through the Gateways that exist on Terminus. This prestigious order of Wizards has maintained a steady watch over these Gateways for ages, guarding their secrets and protecting them from destruction. The worthy Wizards who join this Order are expected to do the same.

Gateways and Stones are spoken of differently and as such might work differently. It's also likely they will be in different locations. There is no other explaination of exactly how these will work.

We don't know if Wizards and Druids will be able to port their entire groups from Anywhere to one of these locations, or if you must be AT one of the locations in order to go to another one.

It's also not clear if non-druids or non-wizards will be able to use these to travel individually. It's possible that it might be a combination of these... where the druid can port you from anywhere to a stone, but anyone who is physically AT a stone could use it to travel to another stone without any druid needed. Obviously the same could apply to Gateways, a wizard could port you TO a gateway from anywhere, but in order to use it without the wizard you would need to make your way to the gateway on foot and then use it to access a different Gateway.

Since these will likely be in different locations from one other... it may become common for you to use a stone to stone travel to get to a zone and then need to run to another area in that zone in order to use a Gateway that will get you to another gateway that is in yet another zone to get close to where you want to be.

• 741 posts
    September 21, 2018 9:43 AM PDT

philo said: There will be a portal that will take players from one continent to the other. From my understanding it will only be one per continent and not connected to starting cities.

So they only plan on cutting the world size in half!?

• 3823 posts
    September 21, 2018 3:17 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

philo said: There will be a portal that will take players from one continent to the other. From my understanding it will only be one per continent and not connected to starting cities.

I actually don't remember ever hearing this. Philo, can you quote your source for this?

• 171 posts
    September 28, 2018 1:45 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Zorkon said:

I actually don't remember ever hearing this. Philo, can you quote your source for this?

I think that's old info, an idea they had a while back but got rid of it.

• 1074 posts
    September 28, 2018 3:58 PM PDT

Its fairly recent.  In the past year or so.  I'm not going to dig it up.  I'm sure others can if they are so inclined.

This post was edited by philo at September 28, 2018 3:58 PM PDT
    • 2060 posts
    September 28, 2018 5:02 PM PDT

I don't recall anything like that either.

• 1074 posts
    September 29, 2018 8:25 PM PDT

Ok I had  some time off work so I decided to take the time to look it up.  The interview below is at least one place where it has been mentioned.  I believe Brad mentioned it in an early stream as well but this is the most recent one (and the one i dug up first).

This info is only from May.  Kils says "there was talk awhile ago, going back quite awhile" but then he follows up with "so far that's the plan".   Followed by:

"We don't want it to take 4 hours to catch up to your guild to go on a raid...You would be able to jump in a portal, take a fair chunk of the distance out and then still have to, you know, leave early to make sure you get there on time"

https://youtu.be/9EyoahxPeT8?t=4757

Note that he specifically refers to it as a portal and not as getting a teleport.  Also, the question after that is answered about wizard teleports has a different answer from the portals that are referred to in the previous question.

Edit:

There is a thread discussing the interview I linked above where Kils clarified what he said in the interview.

Kilsin said:  We have said for years that we ware looking at putting a portal on each continent to allow travel between them, along with boats etc. but we want travel to be meaningful and still a challenge and something you should prepare for with long journeys.

It doesn't get much more clear than that ^.

This post was edited by philo at September 30, 2018 11:48 AM PDT
    • 1074 posts
    October 1, 2018 12:08 PM PDT

So then that leads me to question the usefulness of player teleports (wizard/druid) if there will be portals. 

Depending on your exact location of course a teleport from a player may be quicker but it seems like having a teleport spell definitely won't be as useful as some of us remember from early EQ.  I'm thinking it will be closer to Luclin usefulness...though the world will be much smaller.

It's still nice to have for the wizard/druid.  Teleports just won't be as sought after by other players if there are portals available.  I expect the standard bind location to be as close to a portal as possible.

• 317 posts
    October 15, 2018 12:18 PM PDT

I think that a translocate would be a great offensive type of CC spell... have its typical long cast time of like 10 seconds or whatever but then *POOF* your target returns to its bind location with its memory erased... or better yet, have a specific epic type of translocate that has a long CD that basically banishes an NPC under a certain threshold into a volcano or other detrimental area (you get no loot, but that NPC is effectively "disintegrated").