Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

a book to kill the time (while waiting for PRF)

• 644 posts
    June 25, 2018 6:14 AM PDT

OK, 1) this is "old news" for many of you and 2) it won't really kill enough time but it might be a pleasant distraction (read "why" below).

I saw the movie Ready Player One when it came out and I loved the movie.  I especially loved the way they explained what it's like to live in a virtual world.  

A co-worker urged me to read the book and even handed me his copy.  We were going on a road trip so I had a lot of time to read this weekend.  By page 4 I was totally completely hooked and devouired the book.  I haven't b een that immerssed in a book in years - I devoured the story - and fought to stay awake so I could read more.  

I was that 80's era video game fanatic.  I don't want to give any spoilers, but if you were a teen in the 70's or 80's and you liked the fantasy genre and video games you will totally connect with this book.

The movie and the book took two very different paths for the same story.  I actually liked the movie's path better but the book was so incredibly immersive and the constant (very detailed) references to those old video games, the fantasy and Sci-Fi genres and the 80's music was pretty incredible.

(no spoilers but there is a direct reference to our favorite topic, too!)

If you are the type of person on the PRF forums, then you are like me:  an immersive fantasy-genre MMORPG lover with apenchance for video games.  So there is a very strong liklihood you will love this book, if you haven't read it.

This post was edited by fazool at June 25, 2018 6:14 AM PDT
    • 66 posts
    June 25, 2018 11:15 AM PDT

Haven't seen the film, but LOVED the book. I wasn't a teen by the 80s yet either (born in '88, missed a lot of rad early games). I made my mom read it when I was done, and without being interested in the genre or topics, she enjoyed it immensely too.

There are definitely a few honorable mentions of some favorite games/series.

If the Oasis really existed, they'd have to pry the headset off of me - just SO COOL. Also, aren't scavenger hunts super fun?