Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

New Old Style MMO to amuse yourself with

• 844 posts
    June 23, 2018 3:11 PM PDT

Here is something from a small Indy group. Now on Steam for $10.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/595110/Gran_Skrea_Online/

• 81 posts
    June 23, 2018 3:13 PM PDT

That looks pretty cool. Like Runescape with an updated updated engine.

• 470 posts
    June 23, 2018 9:16 PM PDT

I'll be honest. It looked interesting right up to the full looting PvP. So I'll sadly have to take a pass and remain in MMO limbo a bit. But anyone else looking for what looks like a classical style MMO while waiting that doesn't mind that should give it a peek to see if it's good to kill some time.

This post was edited by Kratuk at June 23, 2018 9:17 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    June 24, 2018 8:26 AM PDT

I couldn't tell from the description. 

Is this a game with mandatory pvp (no way to go around unflagged and do quests without harassment) or is this a game where there is only pvp if you flag or enter a pvp zone (so the full looting is irrelevent unless you choose to pvp)?

• 844 posts
    June 24, 2018 10:49 AM PDT

And full loot I understand can be anything in your inventory might get looted, not everything. It's random apparently. Also some of your money is looted.

But - I guess if you have items you want to protect you can buy insurance to protect it from looting. It's a one-time use, so you would need to buy it again upon a death i guess.

• 363 posts
    June 30, 2018 10:57 AM PDT

Looks interesting for a small early access title, but the looting pvp is a tad frightening to be honest. The UO memories are still real :D

This post was edited by Willeg at July 4, 2018 6:45 AM PDT
    • 844 posts
    June 30, 2018 2:37 PM PDT

I was watching some streams, apparently there is some bug atm and pvp is off, or at least looting is. I actually did not see any pvp either. Seems to be a smallish number playing currently.

• 844 posts
    July 1, 2018 9:19 PM PDT

So they turned on PVP, but did not turn on looting yet.

I have been watching some streams and they do have a lot of anti-griefing mechanics in place.

• - when you commit a crime or PK someone you become a criminal/murderer, more than 2 people - serial murderer.
    • - when you die as a criminal you are sent to prison, and have to mine nodes to get out. The amount you have to mine depends on the extent of your crimes.
    • - You have to keep switching ore nodes as they become exhausted. No AFK mining.
    • - Typically kill 5-6 people = ~30min mining. (I'm sure this will change)
    • - Your victims can put a bounty on you for any amount. Which puts a flag over your head.
    • - When you die with a bounty you get the same prison time and also get a humiliation effect. Your killer gets the bounty.
    • - Humiliation Debuff: +25% in dmg taken, -25% decrease in loot and XP. This is an anti-griefing mechanic.
    • - Bounties decay over time, latest is 1 silver/min.

This post was edited by zewtastic at July 1, 2018 9:20 PM PDT
    • 844 posts
    July 1, 2018 10:09 PM PDT

Wow just watched this guy, he PKd a bunch of people, got put in jail to mine 2300 ore. each ore takes 1.5sec currently, not counting switching nodes. He had spent more than 45 min. and still was grinding ore. I am sure they will patch that down at some point. It is brutal.

• 303 posts
    July 2, 2018 6:04 AM PDT

@zewtastic

I'm not gonna lie, loot pvp scares me a little bit. I've been spoiled by previous games where loot I gain is mine. Do you know if they've said anything regarding offering pve or "softcore" pvp servers? Or maybe that would break the game economy?

• 844 posts
    July 2, 2018 10:10 AM PDT

Spluffen said:

@zewtastic

I'm not gonna lie, loot pvp scares me a little bit. I've been spoiled by previous games where loot I gain is mine. Do you know if they've said anything regarding offering pve or "softcore" pvp servers? Or maybe that would break the game economy?

I am also a pve player generally just due to the nature of pvp being code for griefing.

I do not know if you read above, but currently looting is off due to tuning of pvp.

And, it is not a FULL loot, something like a random item, some random silver.

Also, you can insure(with silver) items like uber weapons and armor against being looted as well.

So all in all, a pretty soft version of a pvp loot system.

• 844 posts
    July 5, 2018 9:37 AM PDT

So the more I have watched, the game seems to be more about pvp and less about anything pve related. Meaning pve content seems to be just around as a function to raise skills, nothing else. There appears to be no challenge in actually playing the game, it's all about simply dealing with or being a PKer.

Granted they are doing interesting things to make it a challenge for a player to be a PKer, but if you are not going to be a PKer, the alternate is to be a anti-Pker. As there seems to be no real pve challenege.

But the game is still in some kind of early pre-alpha test where they seem to be trying different things, so who knows where it will go.