Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Frankly folks...

• 844 posts
    June 21, 2018 9:34 AM PDT

Frankly Folks,

This is a small independant studio, aspiring to make one of your very difficult genre games, the MMO.

They have no large corporate game company behind them. They do not have access to hundreds of industry experts in Engineering, QA, Artwork, Design, Data-warehousing, DBE, etc.

There is a reason small studios do not make MMO's. They require a lot of bodies, a lot of skill sets, and a lot of time.

Worrying about what will happen after launch, after release is kind of putting the cart before the horse.

I am sure they are just stuggling to get a solid working game and making tons of content.

Dealing with after-launch issues like KSing, play nice, and so forth would be nice problems to have.

Just getting a product built that works and that people like is the real challenge, the rest is gravy.

• 1315 posts
    June 21, 2018 12:17 PM PDT

In my opinion VRs choice of using a premade engine rather than creating their own engine was brilliant.  One of the biggest road blocks to making a compelling MMO is actually the game engine and the support of it.  By using Unity Pro they are able to focus on content and game play with only a small amount of technology development. Long term, Unity will be supported by the Unity developers so VR will not have to worry about things like Intel driver updates breaking their game and as cool plugins are created VR can just license it and add it.

• June 21, 2018 12:53 PM PDT
    Firstly, I think those discussions illustrate the extraordinary confidence we have in the team to create a first class experience. Secondly, most discussions revolve around problems or aspects that are not easily solved, or may not have a one-size-fits-all solution. Those discussions are fun! I learn something from every single opinion and observation.
    • 1120 posts
    June 21, 2018 1:10 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Frankly Folks,

This is a small independant studio, aspiring to make one of your very difficult genre games, the MMO.

They have no large corporate game company behind them. They do not have access to hundreds of industry experts in Engineering, QA, Artwork, Design, Data-warehousing, DBE, etc.

There is a reason small studios do not make MMO's. They require a lot of bodies, a lot of skill sets, and a lot of time.

Worrying about what will happen after launch, after release is kind of putting the cart before the horse.

I am sure they are just stuggling to get a solid working game and making tons of content.

Dealing with after-launch issues like KSing, play nice, and so forth would be nice problems to have.

Just getting a product built that works and that people like is the real challenge, the rest is gravy.

I dont want this to seem like a personal attack... but as a pledger to the game with 268 posts on these forums... you're essentially telling people not to talk about certain topics because you dont know if the game will get made...

Well then why do you have 268 posts and have pledged to the game?

I'm really just curious... it's a strange post to make lol.

Again. Just asking.

• 844 posts
    June 21, 2018 2:19 PM PDT

It's a good question @Porygon, and yes I am indeed guilty of doing exactly as I say is probably over the top.

I get caught up and lose my perspective, and want to throw my opinions out there.

I am just trying to remind myself (and others) - in the grand scheme, they are just trying to get a functioning, fun to play game, cobbled together.

Arguing over "lock out timers", "fair play rules" will be a good problem to have, once you somewhat have a successful game to pin those questions to.

I worked in the game industry, I struggled with others to just get a functioning, fun game built. Worrying about those other issues was not even on our radar at that time. 

• 1120 posts
    June 21, 2018 2:28 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

It's a good question @Porygon, and yes I am indeed guilty of doing exactly as I say is probably over the top.

I get caught up and lose my perspective, and want to throw my opinions out there.

I am just trying to remind myself (and others) - in the grand scheme, they are just trying to get a functioning, fun to play game, cobbled together.

Arguing over "lock out timers", "fair play rules" will be a good problem to have, once you somewhat have a successful game to pin those questions to.

I worked in the game industry, I struggled with others to just get a functioning, fun game built. Worrying about those other issues was not even on our radar at that time. 

That makes sense.   I think in all honesty, and the reason I take part in these absurd conversations... is because it gives me a way to feel involved in the game that is obviously a ways away.

I'm not currently playing anything. So I have alot ot free time.   Coming here and talking with like minded people and debating topics that I dont agree with builds my investment into the game... making it even that much more exciting everytime a new stream comes out or a newsletter is released.

• 523 posts
    June 21, 2018 4:59 PM PDT

Trasak said:

In my opinion VRs choice of using a premade engine rather than creating their own engine was brilliant.  One of the biggest road blocks to making a compelling MMO is actually the game engine and the support of it.  By using Unity Pro they are able to focus on content and game play with only a small amount of technology development. Long term, Unity will be supported by the Unity developers so VR will not have to worry about things like Intel driver updates breaking their game and as cool plugins are created VR can just license it and add it.

This is true, but Crowfall went with Unity as well but then invested 10 milion additional into making the engine MMO capable.  Now they are licensing out that modified Unity engine to other studios to make MMOs.  Curious to see their announcement on what major studio just leased their tech.

It will be an absolute miracle if VR can even finish the continent of Kingsreach by 2020 with their current team and budget.  Everyone here is cheering for them, but they have to get a major influx of cash and talent for this to ever be a thing.  With Daybreak making a new EQ1 inspired MMO and Blizzard developing Classic WoW, the window for an old school MMO with minimal competition is closing in the next year or so.  

• 66 posts
    June 21, 2018 8:19 PM PDT

@Porygon and Zewtastic - never hurts to have an idea of what the community wants, even if the subject is over the horizon. Comes time to decide how to format raid lockout timers, and bam, threads of input already beating it to death. More information is never a problem, unless you don't have the storage to archive it. ;-) At the same time, it is a bit like being on step one of assembling an IKEA bookcase, and someone handing you the little screw covers that you won't need until you've got the thing assembled.

I can totally understand chafing at the wait too. We're all excited to play.

• 81 posts
    June 22, 2018 12:18 AM PDT

I can totally understand the original posters frustration here. I'm still grieving over EQnext! We all know things could go wrong. What we have to do though is channel those feelings positively. IF the worst happens in the future whats wrong with being part of a community in the here and now? I enjoy reading these forums and sharing a few old memories.

That said Brad and team, you are my last hope for a social, challenging, MMORPG, EQ/Vanguard style, which I've been searching for for ten years! If you screw up I WILL kick a puppy.

Blood.

• 1 posts
    June 22, 2018 4:19 PM PDT

"With Daybreak making a new EQ1 inspired MMO"  This is not a thing.

This post was edited by XKON at June 22, 2018 4:19 PM PDT
    • 190 posts
    June 22, 2018 9:44 PM PDT

Bloodfire said:

I can totally understand the original posters frustration here. I'm still grieving over EQnext! We all know things could go wrong. What we have to do though is channel those feelings positively. IF the worst happens in the future whats wrong with being part of a community in the here and now? I enjoy reading these forums and sharing a few old memories.

That said Brad and team, you are my last hope for a social, challenging, MMORPG, EQ/Vanguard style, which I've been searching for for ten years! If you screw up I WILL kick a puppy.

Blood.

But... but... what did the puppy do to deserve that?! If you have to kick something, make it something productive and leave the innocent, unconditionally loving beings out of it.  *winks*

• 81 posts
    June 23, 2018 3:09 PM PDT

I'll viciously eat a steak. I'll angrily chew it and pointedly swallow it and demonically savour the feeling as it travels down my throat like a man possessed if Brad and crew screw it up.

Regarding the silly discussions, I haven't been able to get into theorycrafting. There comes a point where I'm putting so much effort into my posts that I might as well just start making a game. So I did. :D