Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Spell Check Option

• 22 posts
    June 19, 2018 3:02 PM PDT

To start this off I just want to say I am a horrific speller, but I am also an avid MMO gamer.

I have been an MMO gamer since UO and every single MMO I have played, I have wanted the option to have a spell checker. 

I just wanted to see if this is something VR has thought about at all or would consider.

• 769 posts
    June 19, 2018 3:05 PM PDT

Disscord said:

To start this off I just want to say I am a horrific speller, but I am also an avid MMO gamer.

I have been an MMO gamer since UO and every single MMO I have played, I have wanted the option to have a spell checker. 

I just wanted to see if this is something VR has thought about at all or would consider.

I'd be ok with that, as long as it didn't also have predictive spelling - or at least be able to toggle it on and off. 

Can you imagine trying to use all the MMO lingo there is, and having something like an auto-correct constantly trying to change Aggro to Argyle and Tanknspank to Thanksgiving?

• 793 posts
    June 19, 2018 3:37 PM PDT

I would think spell check in a MMO chat box would be a massive PITA. So many abbreviations, acronyms, and downright sloppy typing do to trying to fight and type.

If the thing is going to pop up every word it questions before I can send my chat, I will never get anything accomplished. :P

• 769 posts
    June 19, 2018 3:40 PM PDT

Fulton said:

I would think spell check in a MMO chat box would be a massive PITA. So many abbreviations, acronyms, and downright sloppy typing do to trying to fight and type.

If the thing is going to pop up every word it questions before I can send my chat, I will never get anything accomplished. :P

I can imagine if they made it more like a Word document than an e-mail, it wouldn't be too bad. Just a red squiggly line below the word in question that you can right click for alternate spelling options, and not a big pop-up that says "This might be misspelled. Are you sure you want to send this group text?"

But again, like most things, it needs a toggle. 

This post was edited by Tralyan at June 19, 2018 3:40 PM PDT
    • 752 posts
    June 19, 2018 3:42 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

I can imagine if they made it more like a Word document than an e-mail, it wouldn't be too bad. Just a red squiggly line below the word in question that you can right click for alternate spelling options, and not a big pop-up that says "This might be misspelled. Are you sure you want to send this group text?"

Can we get this in the forums also? lol

• 769 posts
    June 19, 2018 4:25 PM PDT

kreed99 said:

Tralyan said:

Can we get this in the forums also? lol

No joke. This might be the only forum since 1999 that doesn't have some kind of spell checker. 

THERE IS NO HAND HOLDING IN PANTHEON (forums)!! 

This post was edited by Tralyan at June 19, 2018 4:26 PM PDT
    • 752 posts
    June 19, 2018 5:14 PM PDT

I'm usually not one to complain, but i have strange typing habits. I type wierd weird. And need those habits corrected. 

• 2138 posts
    June 19, 2018 6:28 PM PDT

have you seen that site "God d**n you autocorrect!" it's funny!

However with all fantasy naming elements in Pantheon it could make things confusing. funny! but confusing. Probably more surreal.

I mean to say " take this bandersnatch staff of the archon and subdue the ratkin"

*real autocorrect- choosing the first full word* "Take this sanders staff of the architect and subdivision the Ratliff.* kinda goes from the fantastic ot the urban(e).

I mean, thats my quest? to go plan a democratic suburban development? who do you think I am, Ayn Rand?

This post was edited by Manouk at June 19, 2018 6:30 PM PDT
    • 55 posts
    June 20, 2018 3:24 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

I'd be ok with that, as long as it didn't also have predictive spelling - or at least be able to toggle it on and off. 

Can you imagine trying to use all the MMO lingo there is, and having something like an auto-correct constantly trying to change Aggro to Argyle and Tanknspank to Thanksgiving?

This is spot on, spell check yes, predictive spelling Heck NO, something as annoying and horrible as predictive spelling could ruin the entire game for me in a game that is supposed to focus on social interaction, communication is key and predictive spelling hinders instead of helping.

As far as spell checking in the forum I recommend you get Grammarly, I think it's an app. It seems to work decently without being too annoying.

Hope this helps.

Tal

• 1019 posts
    June 20, 2018 2:24 PM PDT

Yeah, even the cheapest phones available have a basic spell check with them.  Something I wouldn't be agains.

• 999 posts
    June 20, 2018 2:31 PM PDT

I wouldn't be aganist it, but I would definitely would want this toggleable for me - too many unknown acronyms, spellings, names, etc.

Annnd, as far as the forums go, I've usually copy/pasted my thread into a Word Document if it was a novel of a post that I cared about haha.

• June 26, 2018 5:43 PM PDT

Just going to jump in and ask if anyone else is enamoured by the various flavours of language and various spellings that folks you meet in game inadvertently introduce you to. I actually think misspellings are sometimes enchanting and give the writer a bit of character that otherwise would be missing from homogenized language. That being said, I understand most people would want to avoid mistakes with help of a spell check.

That being said, my keyboard is broke and can't spell right anyway. I've returned it twice now, but it keeps happening. My picture is on the wall at the shop now. I still think it is a coincidence.

-FTSS

• 22 posts
    June 29, 2018 10:13 AM PDT

VR Could totally own this for MMO Gaming, They could build the spell check engine with a modified libaray that could include some of the Gaming lingo we all use. I will be honest and say i don't know the level of effort on VR side it would take to build something like this. but it would be very cool and defenitly make support the Horrable spells that love MMO gaming. :)

• 1120 posts
    June 29, 2018 10:16 PM PDT

As long as the way you spell the word makes me know what word you're typing I could care less how it's spelled.  Most of the time I assume people are just being lazy and using abbreviations