Forums » The Enchanter

Enchanter reveal...

• 102 posts
    June 17, 2018 11:56 AM PDT

I have to say that after the last reveals, I'm getting very excited to see how the Enchanter class will play.  What kind of tweaks to the standard caster resources/roles does VR have in store for us?

• 52 posts
    June 17, 2018 3:02 PM PDT

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Enchanter will be able to do. I don't plan on playing one (I'm horrible at playing clothies) but they always bring a lot of good stuff to a group, and the level of CC allowed in this game is going to be more than I've become accustomed to, so chanters are more than welcome in any group I'm in!

• 64 posts
    June 17, 2018 5:41 PM PDT

I feel as though we'll see them on August 8th. July 11th is very likely the Healer reveal. This is just a guess though so we'll see, but we can at the very least be happy to know that we'll very likely find out before the end of the Summer.

• 1 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:22 PM PDT

I will definitely be an enchanter, I was one in EQ1 and loved playing that class!  can't wait until I have the opportunity again in this game :)

• 16 posts
    July 6, 2018 9:56 AM PDT

I plan on playing an enchanter but never played EQ at all. Is there a breakdown of what playing an enchanter was like in EQ?

• 64 posts
    July 6, 2018 10:49 AM PDT

LaissezFaire said:

I plan on playing an enchanter but never played EQ at all. Is there a breakdown of what playing an enchanter was like in EQ?

This sums it up pretty well.

This post was edited by Darkintellect at July 6, 2018 10:49 AM PDT
    • 42 posts
    July 6, 2018 9:03 PM PDT

LaissezFaire said:

In my opinion Enchanters in EQ were pretty overpowered. They weren't the fastest killers ever but a great enchanter could turn around fights that would have been certain death or a forced retreat for a group without an enchanter. Area effect mesmerizing and charms along with single target mezzes. Coupled with amazing buffs for haste and clarity ( a buff that helped a character regain mana faster ), I felt they were the single biggest impact class in the game. I hope they keep the feel but aren't quite powerful as in EQ because as I said, they could minimize danger quite significantly.

• 64 posts
    July 7, 2018 2:10 AM PDT

LucasBlackstone said:

LaissezFaire said:

In my opinion Enchanters in EQ were pretty overpowered. They weren't the fastest killers ever but a great enchanter could turn around fights that would have been certain death or a forced retreat for a group without an enchanter. Area effect mesmerizing and charms along with single target mezzes. Coupled with amazing buffs for haste and clarity ( a buff that helped a character regain mana faster ), I felt they were the single biggest impact class in the game. I hope they keep the feel but aren't quite powerful as in EQ because as I said, they could minimize danger quite significantly.

One of the major impacts of having a class based around passive approach is the subtle capability tends to be unexpectedly more powerful than originally thought. Having a class based on control means that class has to have a unique capability among the environment and be suited for going up against it as a singular unit. Where other classes, it's more about a group effort, the group depends the Enchanter to be the intermediary between them and the threat that faces them. Otherwise, what's the point of a CC archetype?

Crowd Control is meant to be better than the class that can tank a few adds, or the class that through Roots can CC a few adds. They are meant to be something that stand out from the generic approach in this archetype. That in lies the problem because you end up having a class that through any approach is going to be more powerful than expected when dealing within this archetype. What I see is their strength in a group will remain similar in potency and use, but their capability from those with great skill in a solo environment may be dwindled from what we remember in EQ1.

I used to be able to solo faster than a group and because of years of training and skill, I was able to do so without any real risk. That pet being dual weilding and hasted is going to tear through everything. That aspect may not be seen in pantheon as the Enchanter is the one class in EQ that has a very low and very high ceiling. You'll either be the worst person on the server and outright kill everyone or you'll be a walking God. It's all dependent entirely on skill and the abilities in the class allow for such a wide range due to the sheer range of control and features it has.

This post was edited by Darkintellect at July 7, 2018 4:47 PM PDT
    • 42 posts
    July 7, 2018 8:52 AM PDT

My experience with enchanters was only up through Kunark. I didn't recall them being solo monsters also, I just knew they could solo. That makes them even more op then I had realized. I hope even more now then before that Pantheon steers away from that type of Enchanter.

• 64 posts
    July 7, 2018 1:56 PM PDT

I don't know about neutering them for some arbitrary goal or value. It's an understanding of how the CC archetype works. They're going to be inherantly powerful in the hands of a skilled player or relatively sub-par in the hands of the unskilled, otherwise the CC archetype is unable to properly manage the content they'll have to deal with.

This post was edited by Darkintellect at July 7, 2018 4:43 PM PDT
    • 64 posts
    July 7, 2018 4:11 PM PDT

LaissezFaire said:

I felt a return to this question was warranted since my earlier response was more in jest but reflective of a broader answer. To play an Enchanter means two things. You were either going to accomplish great things most notably within a group or you were going to crash and burn and fear the humiliation causing you to play another class instead.

Let's take a standard group compliment, six people, a Tank, a Healer, You (as the CC) and 3x DPS classes. Your role is chiefly aligned with the Tank in that you must be vigilant of any adds, respawn or surprises around corners. Tank and CC are one of the closest role partnerships in the group makeup above that of Tank and Healer since you and the Tank will be dealing more communicatively for the dynamic encounters. If you're pushing through a dungeon this means dealing with adds either by pull or linked aggro. Before a fight you must have communication with the Tank as to what by standard should be focused on first as there should be an order preset. This allows the Tank to focus on a target and you can mez any adds without having to wait to see if the health is dropping.

One of the major caveats to the Enchanter is resists, mez breaks and the aggro you inherently play with during an encounter. If you mez a target which is then immediately broken, it's most notably going to come after you. This is why proper communication and proper assist by the DPS is in order. DPS act as the unstable energy through the Tank which acts as a channel for that energy through /assist, the Tank is the selective focal point for that DPS and you as the CC is to mitigate any outside interference. Mez spells are effectively stuns and have the same aggro rating as such. They each have a slight mem blur component but the chance isn't high enough to be especially helpful. This is why sometimes a mez break won't cause the mob to steamroll for you as the Enchanter.

Once you mez or lockdown each target, you must memorize the order in which you did so. I'll repeat as this is vital; you MUST remember the order and through a conscious effort remember the duration on a mez and know how to tell time based on a mental 'feel'. Others set up an actual timer for the initial mez and use that as the cyclical remez point so you manage mana efficiently. It can complicate things though as by hitting the timer, you can mess up how quickly you can lock down targets as that single second can be life or death for some. If you're good, you can count down the timer mentally through 'feel' of time. This is done through consistent play with the class. It's like an internal clock where you know just when a mez will break. This is part of the skill of the class and is what makes a great Enchanter. That and anticipation of rebuffs but I'll get to that later. You also have TAE (Targeted Area Effect) mezes as your disposal but those are for emergency as they can mez YOU if you're too close and can mean one or two resists in a group meaning you're now tanking one or a few mobs instead of the Tank or the puller.

Once you're at a camp, you now have to deal with not just adds during a pull, but also repops if you're in a camp that possibly has them. This means a constant vigilance since a sitting Healer getting aggro from a respawn can spell certain doom for a group, especially if the tank is the puller. For this, it can be facilitated by quickly mezzing or utilizing your PBAE (Point-Blank Area Effect) stuns. This is one of the few times I'm constantly in unattached camera 3rd person view which allows me to spin around maintaining watch for adds. Another way this can be done is when a respawn occurs, set a timer. When that same mob respawns, set the timer. This is ultimately your job as the CC although some others will sometimes pick up the role. Find the time interval and set the timer for that time minus 30 seconds or however long you think the group needs before notified of a room respawn.

A trick to note is when casting a spell if being attacked, you have a much higher chance of not being interrupted when you spin in place while casting. This is especially helpful in the instance of having to mez a target that's on you due to a resist or mez break.

Now that we're passed mezzing, we'll move onto your second role, that of Debuff/Prepper. When you have multiple targets mezzed you should immediately Tash and Slow the mob your Tank is on. This mitigates a lot of damage and actually provides more mana replenishment through preventative measures than Clarity or any other Mana Regeneration buff does for your Healer's mana. The issue here is dependent on how well your Tank holds aggro. In Everquest, Warriors were usually an issue in group encounters due to not having snares or stuns in which those abilities themselves keep the mob on that Tank more easily either by denial of movement or the massive aggro from a stun.

If your tank is light on the aggro, it's important to ask if any snare classes are in the group and if so, if they can snare the target the tank is on before the next mez break. If not or they can't be bothered, learn to root and notify the tank and Melee DPS you will be rooting. The other option is mem blur but that has a chance of working and can be detrimental if used too late in an encounter as it also removes all aggro done up to that point by everyone to include a Tank. If cast just before a Caster nukes and mem blur succeeds, that caster now has some serious aggro.

As that mob is being focused by the group and is Tashed, Slowed and Prepped you move onto the mezzed targets. This may mean you need to recycle mez as the timer is ticking down. Whether or not you have to, the job is to communicate to the Tank which target should be next. During the Kunark expansion and on, Enchanters tended to leave Caster mobs as a final target because of a spell called 'Theft of Thought' that effectively turned that mob into a mana battery for themselves which facilitated far better efficiency in mezzing, prepping and rebuffing. The goal is to tash and mez the next target and to either Root or mem blur and pray. This could also be managed using a Rune or Berserker Strength line on yourself which negates damage to the player for the health of the damage shield. Although this can cost mana and even reagents (money) in the case of the 'Rune line'. Typically a snare or you yourself rooting the target works. Just make sure the group knows so DPS distance themselves further than the tank from the target.

If done properly you can reduce everything to singular mitigated fights in an otherwise cataclysmic encounter. Next is your focus on buffs, you must make sure groups have their hastes and mana regeneration buffs among others. Your job is to do your job while managing your mana. It's far more precarious than that of a Healer's mana because an encounter is random and constantly changing. With a Healer, if you're doing your job properly, that Healer's mana use should be at a constant and even if degrading, the rate should be a constant degradation allowing for foresight into the next pull and what to expect. If you're doing your job extremely well you may even get to the point where that Healer may lob stuns and nukes. If you see a healer doing this and they aren't generally stupid, it means you're doing your job as you look back at your mana and remember that you're likely still struggling. As for buffs, the best way to remember buffs is to either use a timer or if skilled, you can through mental repetition 'feel' for when it's about to drop. I typically get down to the final 1-2 minutes of a buff this way. It took a while to do so and means being extremely comfortable with the class, much like when driving a manual transmission in a car. In the end you're effortlessly using all four of your extremities to control a vehicle and after a while you feel more as one with the vehicle, as though it's part of you.

There are other tools at your disposal as an Enchanter to include the most potent form of dispel in the game, Illusions to include a massive Melee buff Illusion you may bestow on other players, massive melee debuffs in the form of Incapacitate, Weakness and your Asphyxiate line. These combined can massively reduce a targets strength, dexterity, agility and AC. It in turn gives the target far more failing checks on a Tank's AC reducing chance for higher damage attacks and against other players in melee combat with the lowered AC. There's also your pacify line of spells which reduce the range in which a mob will aggro a player or link aggro to another of their allies if and when pulling. As I mentioned above, your PBAE Stun line is also important as you can quickly interrupt a casting mob, more importantly one that is casting 'Gate' which can mean a massive train your way if it succeeds in warping to it's spawn and immediately running back to your group. The PBAE stun can also be used with another Enchanter to create a stun web which is used in a different group format called an 'AE Group' which comprises of 2-3 Enchanters, 2-3 Wizards/Mages and a Cleric. Enchanters can even animate a pet in the form of weapons which acts as a pet although uncontrollable.

The Enchanter can also quickly refill a players Stamina bar, buff the group's Magic Resist, drain a mob entirely of their mana, get a group into areas they otherwise wouldn't be able to using Gravity Flux (using duel format), Fear a target with two different fear lines, one of which utilizes Charisma check (Chase the Moon) the other line shared with Necros and Clerics, buff armor class (AC), invis the group not just to normal mobs but to undead as well, give them ultravision, see invisibility, levitate, enduring breath to breath underwater, charisma buffs, and can even see in the eyes of their target (Bind Sight line).

Then you have one of the more pivotal spells of the class, Charm. With this the Enchanter can turn a mob against its own allies and use it as a pet. This requires extreme skill as it can be extremely risky. On the initial cast, it checks your level disparity to its own, its own magic resistance and the innate resist check of the spell. Once charmed, it is given a resist check every six seconds. During this resist check it checks your level disparity to its own, magic resist, innate resist check of the spell and your Charisma. If utilizing Charm, it can be optimized in a variety of ways. Before you do so however, make sure you have your Charisma buff up and you've Tashan'd your target prior to charming.

Method A - Group Setting: Keep your Rune and/or Berserker Strength line on yourself at all times. Make sure to have Color Shift or any stun that has a duration matched with that of the cast time of the charm spell. On a charm break, stun and recharm. Remember to spin cast the stun and the charm to decrease your chances at being interrupted.

Method B - Situational Setting: Have a Druid or Ranger use the Ensnare spell which snares the target for upwards of 13 minutes. On a Charm break make sure they are aware by you using a hotkey for when you're notified the spell has worn off and they'll refresh the Ensnare as you recharm. This combo allows for the less seasoned Enchanters to have a pet dual wield and hasted without much if any risk. You effectively deal as much damage if not more than an entire group this way.

Method C - Solo Setting: Use the lowest level mesmerize spell (level 4) which has the lowest duration. Always keep a distance from your pet in the off chance it breaks and make sure the target it's attacking is rooted if you're using the spell. This allows you to only deal with the pet in the chance it breaks. Another method is to have the two fight, keep the target your pet is on rooted then keep a distance from your pet far enough so that you can recharm before it closes in on you. This means keeping your pet on target and the charm button ready. If the target your pet is on breaks root, simply retarget and reroot.

Ultimately, you as an Enchanter have a wide ranging toolset from which to offer players, groups, a raid and even yourself. In their sole purpose of a group format the role of the Enchanter is to create ease for the group while you take the brunt of the stress, uncertainty and pain. To put it frankly, you are the filter of a dangerous world from which they can play around and frolic.

This post was edited by Darkintellect at July 7, 2018 4:52 PM PDT
    • 352 posts
    July 12, 2018 11:12 AM PDT

Yes the above says in great detail and correctly what was indeed an Enchanter's life in EQ .

The only thing that it didn't say is that the defining feature of an enchanter was mental exhaustion . Not of the Enchanter but of the player .This feature farther increased with time because in "modern" EQ (aka TLP) every group demands that you have a charmed pet . 19 years ago this was a (rarely) taken option at the Enchanter's discretion . The result is that the Enchanter is the only class which is doing something potentially deadly every single second and cannot afford to relax,  go afk or go in auto-mode during the whole time the group is active . That means that after 3-4 hours you are so exhausted that your only desire is to go home and and avoid anything that would get your adrenaline and stress level too high . A not exhausted enchanter was generally a dead enchanter with a wiped out group .

Excitement is good but not for a very long time :)