Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Transmogrification

• 145 posts
    June 15, 2018 9:36 AM PDT
    I’m sure this has been discussed but I for one do not like transmogrification to me it makes whatever gear you’re wearing pointless if you can just change the appearance of it I like have a hodgepodge looking set sometimes you can look at me and say he’s been to such and such place and beaten this or that boss have a set is nice but I like to see what someone has experienced along the way I know you can say the same with a transmogged set but hey that’s just my thinking what do y’all think
    • 769 posts
    June 15, 2018 10:00 AM PDT

I mean, I agree, but holy moses friend ...we need to find you some punctuation. 

• 3852 posts
    June 15, 2018 10:56 AM PDT

Transmogrification is basically a form of cosmetic outfit. I would make a fairly good bet that cosmetic outfits will be in the game.

Nonetheless I do agree. And I definitely agree with Tralyan.

• 62 posts
    June 15, 2018 10:58 AM PDT

I agree... I think people should have to work hard to have fancy armor.  Being a little level and just being able to wear (appearance wise) whatever you want makes being a legit higher level feel not as cool.  Like, I'm all about the "sporting".  I want other players to look at my character and be like, "Ohhh, that's so SWEET.  Where did you get that?!"  I would, however, accept dying armor, because I don't think that's far out of realism.

• 145 posts
    June 15, 2018 11:13 AM PDT
    I’m punctual but I care not for punctuation lol
    • 2752 posts
    June 15, 2018 11:23 AM PDT

There will be an option to wear anything a player has earned in some form of cosmetic slot to appear however they wish. That said, everyone will be in control of how they see other players and can choose to see other players in their equipped adventuring gear or whatever cosmetic appearance they have set up. 

• 2756 posts
    June 15, 2018 11:39 AM PDT

The solution Iksar outlines is perfect.  If I've earned (and worn) anything then I can make my current stuff look like it.

EXCEPT if people can then choose not to see what you are wanting people to see, then the whole point of cosmetics is gone.

I won't be changing my look because of what *I* see, I'll be changing my look because of the image I want *others* to see.

If I get a breastplate of the burning sun and it's a massive improvement in stats, but I think I look like an idiot in it and it doesn't match the rest of my 'look' then I will put a cosmetic piece in place - something I earned and liked the look of before.

If people just see the Beastplate of Burning Sun I'm going around roleplaying like I'm in rusty old mail, it's ridiculous.

There's no reason for others to see exactly what I'm wearing unless maybe it's PvP and they need to 'assess' my real gear before engaging.

This post was edited by disposalist at June 15, 2018 11:40 AM PDT
    • 58 posts
    June 15, 2018 11:50 AM PDT

i would rather see equipement usage, and worned down. 

can't all be running around with shinny new armor all the times. I look at it more like battle scars if you choose to show it then so be it, i know if this option is in the game it will be on from day one. People will see my first set of cloth armor will be abused to its brink, then replaced and rince and repeat :-)

• 752 posts
    June 15, 2018 12:01 PM PDT

Not a fan of custom player made stuff or custom colors. The option of past armor "layered" over the new armor i can handle. That should be done within the realm of crafting so its a permanent change. I think the armor sets should be super creative and original so that one would want a full set of one to complete the look. Or have a hodgepodge look because that means you went adventuring everywhere.

• 1714 posts
    June 15, 2018 12:06 PM PDT

stonetothebone85 said: I’m sure this has been discussed but I for one do not like transmogrification to me it makes whatever gear you’re wearing pointless if you can just change the appearance of it I like have a hodgepodge looking set sometimes you can look at me and say he’s been to such and such place and beaten this or that boss have a set is nice but I like to see what someone has experienced along the way I know you can say the same with a transmogged set but hey that’s just my thinking what do y’all think

I agree 100%, but I think we're probably going to be in the minority. I miss the days where you could look at someone and know their story, and their status. Rubicite meant something. Ykeshas meant something, quest and planar armor meant something. It was a very important part of the fabric of the game. 

• 752 posts
    June 15, 2018 12:14 PM PDT

The problem nowadays are the streamers and others that bring large groups of players ingame and they want that branded look to show off. They want THIER colors and not the colors that pantheon has given them. That is the new normal. How many game devs out there gift special outfits to certain streamers? Or have special thematic sets based on pop culture? I don't really want to break the 4th wall and bring in outside influences. That being said, we need lambent and rubicite and ravenscale type armors. You knew what you were looking at. And i for one would like to keep some of those looks through a fusion/layering crafting aspect, but you need to make sure you want to make that change cause it should be permanent. You don't just undo melted metal breastplate fusion/layering with a solvent. 

• 151 posts
    June 15, 2018 12:58 PM PDT

disposalist said:

The solution Iksar outlines is perfect.  If I've earned (and worn) anything then I can make my current stuff look like it.

EXCEPT if people can then choose not to see what you are wanting people to see, then the whole point of cosmetics is gone.

I won't be changing my look because of what *I* see, I'll be changing my look because of the image I want *others* to see.

If I get a breastplate of the burning sun and it's a massive improvement in stats, but I think I look like an idiot in it and it doesn't match the rest of my 'look' then I will put a cosmetic piece in place - something I earned and liked the look of before.

If people just see the Beastplate of Burning Sun I'm going around roleplaying like I'm in rusty old mail, it's ridiculous.

There's no reason for others to see exactly what I'm wearing unless maybe it's PvP and they need to 'assess' my real gear before engaging.

I think the toggle is a great idea. No offense but I don't want to see players how theywould like to be seen. I want to see them as they are. If you want to look a certian way and that means wearing less than optimal gear, you can do that. I ran into this kind of issue in EQ2 long ago. One time we got a tank in our group and he was bare chested and was wielding two candy canes for weapons. Ha Ha, right? Well turns out that wasn't appearance gear. Didn't take long to figure it out. Had I had a toggle I would have known this as soon as we met him and it would have prevented us from wasting alot of time. We didn't want a super geared guy or anything but no chest armor and cosmetic weapons? Come on.

I miss seeing patchwork gear. I want that toggle and let everyone that like to play dress up do it for each other. I don't want to see it myself.

• 5 posts
    June 15, 2018 1:16 PM PDT

Your armour should reflect the mobs you have fought and the jouney you have travelled. After all your character is an extension of your real life and fills the gaps in your life that real life cant give you.  An alternative reality where your avatar does what you feel inside would do if destiny permitted it.  anything else is just lego batman

• 2001 posts
    June 15, 2018 1:41 PM PDT

Iksar said:

There will be an option to wear anything a player has earned in some form of cosmetic slot to appear however they wish. That said, everyone will be in control of how they see other players and can choose to see other players in their equipped adventuring gear or whatever cosmetic appearance they have set up. 

You state that as a fact. Can you tell me a post or stream where a Dev has said that?

• 752 posts
    June 15, 2018 1:42 PM PDT

Sabot said:

disposalist said:

I think the toggle is a great idea. No offense but I don't want to see players how theywould like to be seen. I want to see them as they are. If you want to look a certian way and that means wearing less than optimal gear, you can do that. I ran into this kind of issue in EQ2 long ago. One time we got a tank in our group and he was bare chested and was wielding two candy canes for weapons. Ha Ha, right? Well turns out that wasn't appearance gear. Didn't take long to figure it out. Had I had a toggle I would have known this as soon as we met him and it would have prevented us from wasting alot of time. We didn't want a super geared guy or anything but no chest armor and cosmetic weapons? Come on.

I miss seeing patchwork gear. I want that toggle and let everyone that like to play dress up do it for each other. I don't want to see it myself.

I think the toggle is actually not going far enough. Either don't allow it custom or make the change more permanent so that there is no illusion. There should be a risk/reward for changing the appearance of something. There will be some rediculous items in game, we all know this, but there should be some design integrity. I can see someone weilding an icicle in a frozen raid acclimation zone setting, but once you zone out it better melt and turn into some sort of dagger that was just frozen. Or every weapon looks like an icicle in this situation save heated blades/weapons. 

I just don't want silly stupid stuff put into the game period, but here is the link for those that are interested in where he got the idea that we can toggle cosmetic stuff https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5400/question-about-the-new-faq/view/page/1

This post was edited by kreed99 at June 15, 2018 2:56 PM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    June 15, 2018 4:15 PM PDT

Jothany said:

You state that as a fact. Can you tell me a post or stream where a Dev has said that?

From the FAQ:

4.8 What kind of equipment visualization can we expect to see on characters?

The game world will contain thousands if not tens of thousands of items. That said, there can never be a 1:1 ratio between what you are specifically wearing and how you appear to other players. What you’re wearing does show off what you’ve accomplished, how high level you are, and what adventures you have undertaken to inspire others. Cosmetic gear will also be available, with players selecting how they want to view your character by toggling between adventure and cosmetic.

Kilsin:

"So you can see it yourself and enjoy your character the way you like, why is there a need to force your characters looks on everyone else? You may think you have great taste but to someone else, it is immersion breaking and hurting their eyes while they try and enjoy the game their way.

Not everyone has the same tastes, so it is best if we provide an option to toggle the appearance on/off but keeping in mind we have made it very clear that cosmetic items will be earned in-game, and within our games lore and not easily available to everyone, so it is best to wait and see what we have in store before comparing it to other games and instantly thinking ours will be the same, we know it isn;t everyone's cup of tea and we won't be flooding our game with it as our normal gear will be something to be proud of and be something you will want to show off, not cover up. ;)"

And Aradune is here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5400/question-about-the-new-faq/view/page/1

• 247 posts
    June 15, 2018 6:53 PM PDT

Personally  i dont want to see a custom  look if it not the true armor  or weapons  you are really useing. If i walk up to a could people sitting  wait for a group and i can see some one with really  good gear i want to know that is the true gear they have on. So i can choose  the people i want . Or if your in my group and it looks like i have something  better in my bag  i can give you i dont want to be faked out of my hard  earned  stuff just because  you have a custom  look thst makes it look like your gears crap. I only what to see what has been truly earned. 

If that make it so u see what ever u want but the rest see what is true im ok with that. 

• 129 posts
    June 15, 2018 11:04 PM PDT

I am genuinely curious as to the purpose of this thread and also the complete lack of punctuation, even in the follow up.

It's been stated that there is a toggle for YOU to either choose to view cosmetic armor or view the default armor. Thus rendering cosmetic armor a moot point and a useless feature (I suppose unless you are one of those players who likes to change your gear for you and not how everyone views you).

Therefore, I am stumped as to why this seems to be a stomping ground on how no one wants to see cosmetic items and how your armor should look as the item that dropped...

Morticia said:

After all your character is an extension of your real life and fills the gaps in your life that real life cant give you.

It's just a game, not an extension of anything. It's all for fun.

E: Spacing here is no joke.

This post was edited by Rogue at June 15, 2018 11:07 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    June 16, 2018 12:32 PM PDT

Sabot said:

disposalist said:

The /inspect function gets what you wanted.  Also, no one is suggesting candy canes and bare chests.  I'd be fine with cosmetic look having to match the armor type you are wearing.

If people will be toggling off seeing cosmetics then bothering to use them will be largely pointless.

Thanks @Iksar for the linking, etc.  I have to say I'm thoroughly disppointed.

I don't really want what people think of as 'cosmetics'.  I want to be able to use the look of an item I've previously worn is all.  Nothing weird or fancy - mostly to *avoid* looking weird or fancy.

If cosmetics are going to be Santa hats and bikinis, then I don't want them at all.  They don't have to be that way at all.  Oh well.

This post was edited by disposalist at June 16, 2018 12:37 PM PDT
    • 411 posts
    June 16, 2018 2:12 PM PDT

disposalist said:

The /inspect function gets what you wanted.  Also, no one is suggesting candy canes and bare chests.  I'd be fine with cosmetic look having to match the armor type you are wearing.

If people will be toggling off seeing cosmetics then bothering to use them will be largely pointless.

Thanks @Iksar for the linking, etc.  I have to say I'm thoroughly disppointed.

I don't really want what people think of as 'cosmetics'.  I want to be able to use the look of an item I've previously worn is all.  Nothing weird or fancy - mostly to *avoid* looking weird or fancy.

If cosmetics are going to be Santa hats and bikinis, then I don't want them at all.  They don't have to be that way at all.  Oh well.

If cosmetics follow the reasonable rules you set forth, lacking eye sore tier costumes, then wouldn't it stand to reason that many people would be using cosmetics? I would guess at the following breakdown...

1) Very small population of those who like the "realism" of the hodgepodge mess of an adventurer scrounging gear off their foes. Aesthetic is an afterthought and that's how it should be.

2) A minority of players who like to see exactly what a player has equipped for their stats and showing off their accomplishments. Everything is by the numbers and aesthetics don't enter into the equation.

3) A majority of players who prefer all characters (but often especially their own) to look good. Tastes vary wildly from just wanting to avoid the hodgepodge mess on one end to wearing bikinis on the other.

Even if the cosmetics rules are conservative, then the limited cosmetics are still closer to a bikini than the hodgepodge mess, so all of group 3 will turn on cosmetics. If that line of thinking is accurate, then would it still bother you that a minority of players have turned cosmetics off? At what ratio of the population having cosmetics off vs. on do they become "largely pointless"?

• 68 posts
    June 16, 2018 3:33 PM PDT

I have said it on these forums a number of times and even Brad replied saying I dont know anything for sure. What I do know is games costs money, a lot of money.

This game will have a cash shop, even if its just cosmetic gear or house items. Its a good thing you can toggle this setting because the community is visciously split down the middle when it comes to cosmetic items.

I am sure all of you have heard of Fortnite. They are making hundreds of millions of dollars a month on nothing but cosmetic gear. Investors and even game makers cannot afford to turn a blind eye to this.

Having a toggle will temper the side who does not want to see cosmetic gear while still giving people who will pay an extra $30.00 dollars to look cool an outlet for thier money.

I don't say this with spite either, I will be very happy this game will have a cash shop for cosmetic items because I spend hundeds of dollars in cash shops in any game I play. Its good for me, its good for the company that made the game and the longevity of the game. Things have changed a lot since 1999 and this being a niche game it will need all the revenue streams it can get.

• 319 posts
    June 16, 2018 3:37 PM PDT

I am not sure why people complain about options that they can control themselves. If you do not want to wear cosmetic outfits then don't wear them. Why should others who would like to look "good" suffer just to apease them.

If you want to show your well earned duds then by all means show them.

If you want your helm to show then show it.

If you want to go naked, then please don't.

etc ,etc.

• 160 posts
    June 16, 2018 9:59 PM PDT
    Am I going to be the only guy rolling around with cloth armor cosmetic'd onto my good raid gear? I prefer the rags look to the riches look.
    • 67 posts
    June 16, 2018 10:08 PM PDT

I think, that people who want no toggle, wanna force others to see their cosmetics.

From my point of view, I dont wanna see any stupid candy stuff. :P

• 211 posts
    June 16, 2018 10:17 PM PDT
    I thought this game was NOT going to have a cash shop?

Also, is there anyone here who would play with the toggle on? Aside from maybe RPers, it seems everyone's saying they will have it off. Personally, I'd rather see their true gear, so I'll probably have it off too.