Forums » The Warrior

Warrior class reveal

• 45 posts
    July 3, 2018 7:34 AM PDT

Have they confirmed shields are not available for a DL?  It's not mentioned that they can use them, and they have no shield based abilities revealed, but I'm not positive it's not an option to use one solely for block/mitigation.

• 3687 posts
    July 3, 2018 7:45 AM PDT

xilith said:

Have they confirmed shields are not available for a DL?  It's not mentioned that they can use them, and they have no shield based abilities revealed, but I'm not positive it's not an option to use one solely for block/mitigation.

That's a fair question. My gut says they can't, but then I think of some spiked shields or shields with razor sharp edges that they should use because they can still draw blood while bashing.

• 295 posts
    July 7, 2018 7:08 PM PDT

Thanks Joppa for the clarification.  Now I have a stick that I can hit someone over the head with to get their attention for a brief second while the Paladin will be able to generate MASSIVE hate becasue of AOE heals/buffs and the Dire Lords are able to incte Fear/Hatred in their opponent.  Right now I see the warrior class as something akin to Rafiki from the Lion King with the stick of wisdom and the Pallys/Dire Lords as being true tanks while having major benefits to the group as a whole.   While the banners are a good idea the problem is that this game is suppose to have more aware/intelligent enemies so why would an enemy engage in the area of effect of a banner?  Just stand back and use their distance attack to whittle down the group/tank.  Great the warrior can close the distance to an enemy but so what if their banner is already planted somewhere else?  Does the banner move with the warrior?  If the baner moves does the AOE move ?  If the AOE of the banner moves away from the group what is the point of using a banner for the group?

It may not be a "button rotation" like tanking in some MMOs as much as you may think. Maybe more of "use this ability before this one to maximize its effectiveness" but not necessary.

Is this not the standard definition of a button rotation?  To use this ultimate skill  you must first use this basic one then this basic one then this advanced one then you can use your ultimate skill.  I assume there is a lot of work to be done on the game but I have noticed that there is a tendency to neglect the warrior because not many enjoy the class and the warriors have taunt which makes the need for other aggro/hate generation pointless.

I will have to see how the class specifics work in game if/when I get into Alpha or Beta.  Until then it is all discussion and theory anyways.

• 64 posts
    July 13, 2018 7:40 AM PDT

The Warrior actually looked far better than any other Warrior's I've seen...or rather, more interesting.  Banners will likely have a big range or move with the Warrior - as they are the equivalent of 'stances'.  Also, people like Rangers being able to move enemies around, classes having silences etc. would all help control the enemy and keep them nearby.  Alternatively the Warrior can move and replace the banner - I expect minimal cooldown on the banners as it is clear they are supposed to be ever changing as the battle goes on

The Warrior currently looks pretty superior to the other tanks in terms of mitigation and likely single target aggro, making them a prime candidate for main tank.  It looks like AOE will be the Paladins forte

• 295 posts
    July 21, 2018 7:31 AM PDT

Good points asteldian so basically a warrior will be a MT but the ST will always be a Pally/DL regardless of how the classes are setup.  IN a raid situation that is not good but I guess we will adapt to the situation once in game.  Banners help give some utility to warriors but not help us generate aggro/hate.  IT seems like the ONLY skill/ability we have to generate hate/aggro is taunt which means we will be spamming that button.

• 62 posts
    July 21, 2018 10:20 AM PDT

Sogotp said:

Good points asteldian so basically a warrior will be a MT but the ST will always be a Pally/DL regardless of how the classes are setup.  IN a raid situation that is not good but I guess we will adapt to the situation once in game.  Banners help give some utility to warriors but not help us generate aggro/hate.  IT seems like the ONLY skill/ability we have to generate hate/aggro is taunt which means we will be spamming that button.

Don't forget about:

Rageful Shout
    You unleash a rage-filled shout, allowing you to use Taunt without cooldown for a short time. (Uses 1 Battle Point)

Angering Blow

Strike your enemy in a provoking manner, making them angry. While angry, your attacks will generate additional Hate. (Grants 1 Battle Point)

War Horn

You sound an ominous war horn, either inflicting fear in your enemies or inciting them to face you in battle.

Banners that increase our damage will increase hate genereation.

• 45 posts
    July 25, 2018 12:32 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Flawed design if 4 raid groups are expected to go with two warriors and only one of each other tanks.

Basically It's quite the opposite of class diversity to favor class stacking, even if it's in pairs. Not sure of the design of this skill is much more than a "I want a 300-like visual" .

With the expected max of 12 classes it would likely mean 2 of every class could become the norm for a raid set up.  

• 48 posts
    July 25, 2018 7:25 AM PDT

For those who played WoW around TBC time; so many of the skills match that of the protection warrior. They have mocking blow / intercept / Shield Block / Shield Slam two movement skills one out of combat and one in combat. I loved that class it was fantastic and I'm glad to see they did something similar.

I also love the banners and the fact they're on a seperate hotbar so you have a little something extra other than just the 12 skills you select. Also the reactive shouts and formations will hopefully add some interesting flavour.

The resource system sounds great too - this class definitely seems my sorta thing... I just hope it plays well with a nice flow to it. Can't wait to test it out during Alpha.

It definitely looks to be the sort of class where you can tell a good one from a bad one with lots of different situational skills to utilize.