Forums » The Paladin

What's got you going about the reveal?

• 761 posts
    June 13, 2018 10:31 AM PDT

Oh man, I'm so excited. I mean, I've BEEN excited, but as someone who has wanted to main a Paladin, this newsletter has got me all jacked up. Let's get down to business. 

Sense Undead: I mean, this is a staple of clerics and paladins both. Nothing too new here. But the fact that they've made it a passive thing with little flames of celestial lights that flicker around us? That's pretty friggin' cool. It's like Sting from The Hobbit. We're a walking Gondolin forged sword. Nice twist, VR. I like it. 

Brillian Aegis: I am so excited about darkness playing a part in this game. That's such a huge turn on for me, so every time they reveal skills with the sole purpose of giving a "brief light source in Atmospheres of supernatural darkness", I get all kinds of riled up. 

Healing and aggro: This is when I get the most thrilled. My favorite class to play in any game, ever, in any genre, has been the Warden from Lord of the Rings On-line. They're what made me fall in love with tanking. I love their approach to the gambit system when it came to skills, and I loved their approach to aggro generation mixed with their passive heals done through melee gambits. What has me so ridiculously excited is that it looks like Paladins here in Pantheon will have aggro leeches and passive Heal over times all their own in the form of Wrathful Aegis (aggro leech done over time), Hymn of Devotion (adding a HoT component to direct heals), Arcing light (chain heal. just a neat concept) and Glory and Honor (applies all external heals to you as well). I so very much hope they keep thinking of innovative ways to approach aggro and self sustainability (healing) for the Paladin as the game progresses. So friggin' excited. 

Pocket Off-tank: Miraculous shimmer and glorified self both leave and/or direct a copy of yourself to tank an enemy. HOW COOL IS THAT? I mean, I don't know exactly how useful that'll be, but man I'm excited to find out. 

Now, my one question/worry...

Paladin weapon choices are set to 1 and 2 hand edged weapons, and 1 and 2 hand blunt weapons. Where the heck are the spears, guys? Where is the piercing damage? Are we really going to be another MMO/game out there that ignores the spear and the polearm? 

Even checking some other classes, like warrior, rogue, and ranger, it doesn't specify or say ANYTHING about piercing weapons or spears. 

That makes me sad. Am I the only one?

This post was edited by Tralyan at June 13, 2018 2:38 PM PDT
    • 22 posts
    June 13, 2018 2:20 PM PDT
    For starters, Yes I am sad at the non mention of spears/lances/polearms. Lance of the Flameknight was my weapon of choice for the longest time in EQ. Notice the weapon choices doesn't specify shields? Maybe Lances were over looked also.
    The abilities that I really got excited for were Glory and Honor, Knights Persuasion and Atone. I really enjoy the playstyle where paladins heal their group from fighting. I'm glad to see Glory and Honor partially scratch this itch. I remember getting the PoTb Lightbringer which proc'd a 125hp group heal recourse effect, so no added aggro, but just helped pulse heal the whole group as often as it proc'd.
    Also the Knights Persuasion ability seems like an interesting ability, I'm imagining situations for quest turn ins with humanoid factions you might normally be KoS to. I was always envious of bards and chanters getting all the fun toy quests.
    Last but not least is that Atone ability, that's such a deep nomenclature for a pally rez. I always feel responsible for my group mates dying if I can't keep aggro or I missed a LoH opportunity. Atone seems very fitting to sacrifice my hp for them in a way of asking for their forgiveness because I failed my duty as a Knight.
    I dont know if I will main a paladin again, but I dont think I will regret it if I did.
    • 672 posts
    June 13, 2018 2:30 PM PDT

Man, what a reveal.  All the tanks are incredibly compelling.  I am in no way a Paladin, but what a cool take on a classic trope.  I won't opine too much because I'm hardly qualified (and ultimately, I won't be playing a Paladin) but I find myself extremely excited for just how unique and intriguing the classes are looking.  I think we all benefit when the classes are strong, fun and unique, even if we don't plan to play certain ones.

The spear/thrusting/piercing thing is something I would like to see, though I'm not sure the lack of it for the Paladin concerns me.  Spear doesn't immediately strike me as a must for the Paladin (perhaps lance or polearm), but I'm all for the shaking up the status quo!  And I would certainly like to see some of the other classes have access to spears (the Shaman comes to mind, if not slightly predictable).

I hope this reveal puts at ease those who are concerned about the Paladin's place in Pantheon.  On the surface, it seems to check a lot of boxes (again, from an outsider's perspective).

• 277 posts
    June 13, 2018 2:39 PM PDT

I am stoked to play a Paladin again after reading this. It seems like a well rounded class to me from this snapshot, but the proof will be in the pudding. I have fond memories of playing a Paladin in EQ despite being very inexperienced and not terribly useful.

The only thing that really struck me as odd was Atone. Several abilities can only be used out of combat, but this isn't listed that way. Also, health and the ability to heal are both resources that are most valued in combat. Does this mean that Atone is an in-combat rez? Are all rezzes in-combat? Rhetorical questions of course, but it has me wondering.

• 761 posts
    June 13, 2018 2:42 PM PDT

Nikademis said:

The spear/thrusting/piercing thing is something I would like to see, though I'm not sure the lack of it for the Paladin concerns me.  Spear doesn't immediately strike me as a must for the Paladin (perhaps lance or polearm), but I'm all for the shaking up the status quo!  And I would certainly like to see some of the other classes have access to spears (the Shaman comes to mind, if not slightly predictable).

I suppose you're right in that a spear isn't really a Paladin centric weapon, and really I'm ok with that. I just want them to be represented. Spears played such an integral part in the history of warfare and it boggles my mind how often it's ignored in games. 

This does beg the question; why are shamans always seen as the de facto spear wielders? That's a genuine question. Is there a historical precedence with that? Where does that idea originate? When I think of spears, I think of a phalanx. I think of hunters, old celtic warriors, and spartans. But shamans? That one always confused me. 

• 672 posts
    June 13, 2018 3:44 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

This does beg the question; why are shamans always seen as the de facto spear wielders? That's a genuine question. Is there a historical precedence with that? Where does that idea originate? When I think of spears, I think of a phalanx. I think of hunters, old celtic warriors, and spartans. But shamans? That one always confused me. 

That's a great question, and one I don't have a good answer for.  I would guess that the "tribal" nature of the Shaman is the easiest bridge to prehistory when our ancestors where using primitive tools and weaponry, while the other classes might largely be associated with being at the forefront of modern technoloy, wielding the finest weapons and learning the most powerful magics.  This is purely conjecture on my part, and not even necessarily something I agree with if confirmed.

Edit: Quotes are still a mess.

This post was edited by Nikademis at June 13, 2018 3:46 PM PDT
    • 15 posts
    June 13, 2018 7:24 PM PDT

Totally stoked on the Paladin reveal. The paladin class has always been my personal class flavor favorite. I love everything about the concept of paladins, and I play them in every game. That said, my least favorite archetype is tanking... I prefer Heals > CC/Support > DPS > tank.

Even though paladins play the role of the tanking archetype, with the ability to Heal/Stun/CC/Res/"shinning image" ourselves all well dishing out damage has me hopeful. I was planning on maining a paladin, even if they played out a strict tank archetype. The playstyle sounds interesting and engaging with the Heal/DPS threat managment and the dual targeting system. Knowing ahead of time that the class was a tanking class, I am very pleased to see the vision of how the paladins will be tanking. I'm hopeful. 

And who doesn't like being OP against undead targets. Undead zones are my favorite and I want to faceroll. 

This post was edited by Korashi at June 13, 2018 7:26 PM PDT
    • 2289 posts
    June 13, 2018 8:00 PM PDT

Spears will be in the game.  The warrior picture is seen wielding a 2H poleaxe.

• 10 posts
    June 13, 2018 8:21 PM PDT

Atmospheres of supernatural darkness - This piqued my interest.  They've mentioned the Darkness Climate, but this is different than the others. I imagine a simple torch won't be enough but seeing at least one spell to counteract it is cool.

• 51 posts
    June 13, 2018 8:59 PM PDT

Sato said: ...Notice the weapon choices doesn't specify shields? Maybe Lances were over looked also....

I wouldn't give up hope for shields just yet. This is the description of one of the melee abilities:

Lightguard

"You Imbue your shield with celestial light, increasing your chance to Block for a short time. If using a two-handed weapon, this ability will..."

• 446 posts
    June 13, 2018 11:43 PM PDT

Paladin has been on my list of "might play as main" classes for a while, but with this reveal it got a huge push upwards. The class sounds very fun and rewarding to play. What I like most thematically is the "light" and "aegis" abilities. Also I think it fits that in contrast to other classes who gain their "points" through dealing damage, paladings gain theirs through taking damage. Perfect for a tanking class!

• 63 posts
    June 14, 2018 12:47 AM PDT

I posted my thoughts and stuff in another post, great to see some ppl speak up and having some great hype and concerns for some of the same things I have. 

• 100 posts
    June 14, 2018 3:52 AM PDT
    I thought the Paladin reveal was great! They got a lot of cool skills going for them, as main tank and as off tank / grp support.

I did not expect them to get so many healing abilities witch triggers me a bit, I want to play the paladin at some point now :)

But I don't like the human or the dwarf races much, I will have to wait and see for the radials if it's worth a try for me. But as others state we have only seen a handful of selected skills.
    • 101 posts
    June 14, 2018 7:40 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

[blockquote]Nikademis said:

I suppose you're right in that a spear isn't really a Paladin centric weapon, and really I'm ok with that. I just want them to be represented. Spears played such an integral part in the history of warfare and it boggles my mind how often it's ignored in games. 

[/blockquote]

I think the Shaman / spear connection is from EQ1. The original epic for shaman was a spear. Looked cool, had cool effects. Spear of Fate I think it was called. At least for me thats why I always have a spear when I play a shaman in any game that allows it.

• 232 posts
    June 14, 2018 12:09 PM PDT

I liked the song/hymn idea as strange as it sounds b/c i never played a bard. I liked the heavy against undead focus. I loved the pocket tank mez idea. And the positioning Edicts, those sounded cool. 

This reveal made me think about testing out a pally.

• 3 posts
    June 14, 2018 8:01 PM PDT

Sense undeath is implemented in such a neat way.

Lightful Avenger passive.

Evensong modifying abilities.

Miraculous Shimmer and Glorified Self for off-tanking / peeling abilities, saving healers and DPS.

I hope we can use the same shields, or if restricted to Kite shields, get a bonus.

This post was edited by Ezrael at June 14, 2018 8:03 PM PDT
    • 189 posts
    June 14, 2018 8:46 PM PDT

The sheer amount of utility of the class.  I'm not sure I've seen a tank with this amount of support and CC ability.  I feel like if you can master the complexities of this class, it's really going to be something to see.  

I think out of the six classes we've had a hard reveal on so far, the Paladin appeals to me the most.  And if the Bard doesn't make it in before launch, and maybe even if it does, I now have a class to look forward to.  

• 3 posts
    June 18, 2018 5:17 AM PDT

Based upon the reveal and some of the ability descriptions, can we assume that this video features a Paladin?

Looks like abilities like Wrathful Aegis and maybe Living Light.

Also looks cool to wield a Torch as a main hand weapon, be interesting to see if it stays as a 1H Blunt option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZ0Fxe-uKY

This post was edited by Ezrael at June 18, 2018 5:59 AM PDT
    • 73 posts
    June 18, 2018 9:59 AM PDT

Paladin may be the "CC/Tank" class I've always wanted to play in an MMO. 

If balanced properly, it might be an extremely fun class, despite not being able to MT in raid content.