Forums » News and Announcements

Class Reveals & Game Updates Highlight the June Newsletter

• 20 posts
    June 19, 2018 6:38 AM PDT

Hubby can't decide on which tank class to be! They all seem AWESOME! He's kind of a goody-goody, though, so he'll probably be a paladin.

Wizard-paladin duo? I don't know :) Seems more viable than Warrior-Wizard, I suppose!

• 38 posts
    June 19, 2018 5:05 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I think the appropriate time to voice concerns is when you're actually in the game, testing it in real time. A lot of things are often different in practice than they are on paper. We don't even know all of the abilities yet or any of the numbers. Plus, there's a lot of other factors/mechanics that we don't know yet. I think it's awfully narrow-minded and presumptuous for one to think they know enough of the big picture to be able to definitively say "If this, then that." It is indeed absolutely important to voice concerns, and not just passively go with whatever. But imo, the best time to voice concerns is not sounding alarms right away at the first sign of danger, but once you have actually gathered enough real in-game info to be able to provide educated feedback. And in this case, that means actually being able to sit down and play a mid/high level Dire Lord in the actual game with a real group or raid. Only then will you have enough of the puzzle pieces to make an informed opinion. My guess is this would happen in Alpha, but maybe even in Pre-Alpha - who knows. Either way, that still gives us plenty of time to provide feedback and for the devs to make the necessary adjustments before launch. Not to mention the fact that things can still change after launch in a patch or expansion. But that's sometimes more difficult as there are more moving parts. So yes, giving feedback during testing phases is key, but at the same time, there is such a thing as giving too much feedback too soon. There's just no way that, no matter how loud the outcry, that the devs will change it before we even have a chance to experiment with it in in-game testing.

Completely agree with you Bazgrim,

P.S. 

Alot of people looking at this game as a EQ reboot, when in fact its a whole new game which will be different in many ways because VR is pooling stuff from every game they have played, stuff they made up looking at those games that they wanna try out and stuff that has been suggested by the players that are commenting in forums and in prealpha, to make something diffferent to it all yet familiar. Ive read many comments that are good opinions and well founded from other game experiences, But commenting as a concern and declaring it will fail are 2 very diferent things. I like to think that VR knows what they are doing and up to this moment have given every class a uniqueness that will be built to the game in their image. This is just speculation on my part but since tanks have specific advantages there will be dungeons and raids in which those advantages will be seen fully displayed meaning that for some dungeon or raid one of the specific tanks would be the best for the tanking part, this is not saying that the other 2 will not be able to do that  but it would be much harder, giving the 3 classes a spot in groups or raids. Raid wise i wouldn't put it past VR to have a raid zones with 3 different bosses which the raid would have to switch the main tank to take best strategy for it and group wise if the dungeon is harder for a specific tank you all have the ability to modify the group you want to make that tank work. 

Now on the plate or mail situation we heard alot of what crafting will affect crafted item or drop item  with the enchant the other thing i forgot the name too lol. who says with those special areas of crafting DL wont have the chance for them specifically to add mit to mail specifically reaching the others in the stat? Again this is all spaculation. we still havent seen the DL nor the Pally in streams. The prealpha testers probably just started using the classes too look for the ups and downs and report it to the devs. Plz do not declare a fail on VR's part when we have no idea how they have envisioned the classes and we still have no idea how it'll run. Im sure that if it dosen't work they will make the proper adjustments to the classes so that they are balanced with each other in their own unique way, this goes for all classes by the way.

• 24 posts
    June 20, 2018 9:22 PM PDT

The warrior's ability that links shields with another warrior in group...are all classes getting similar treatment?  If every class had an ability unlocked when another of the same class joins their group, people would no longer get denied group invites because they already have the class in that group. For instance, in EQ2 if we already had a ranger in group there was no point in adding another because the class didnt have any buffs. It was usually bad group makeup to have 2 of the same class as things didn't stack. Plus if every class had one it would build relationships with your fellow classmates; or at least you won't go "great, another ranger to compete loot with". You would be helping each other or helping each other help the group.

This post was edited by brandon at June 20, 2018 9:45 PM PDT
    • 945 posts
    June 25, 2018 9:39 AM PDT

brandon said:

The warrior's ability that links shields with another warrior in group...are all classes getting similar treatment?  If every class had an ability unlocked when another of the same class joins their group, people would no longer get denied group invites because they already have the class in that group. For instance, in EQ2 if we already had a ranger in group there was no point in adding another because the class didnt have any buffs. It was usually bad group makeup to have 2 of the same class as things didn't stack. Plus if every class had one it would build relationships with your fellow classmates; or at least you won't go "great, another ranger to compete loot with". You would be helping each other or helping each other help the group.

this would be cool and possibly something they could include in future updates.  So many options come to mind when thinking of the different classes that I would normally not want multiples of in a single group at the cost of losing other roles. 

• 11 posts
    June 29, 2018 8:10 PM PDT

Thanks for the great reveal look forward to more :)

• 945 posts
    July 24, 2018 7:21 AM PDT

Thanks to voicing our opinions at the appropriate time (before coding was completed), it would appear that they have at least acknowledged some of our concerns and actually changed some of their terminology on the reveals to reflect changes.  A bunch of minor changes like removing the Dire Lords "Heavy Mail" description to just "Mail" to large changes like removing the warriors flat 20% damage resistance to be 20% more armor proficiency skill which was similar to EQ.  Small changes like that will allow the PAL and DL to actually compete as an end game tank and increase the population of the classes at the start of the game instead of having to wait for patches/updates/expansions.  

Good job to those of you that voiced your opinions before the mechanics were actually implemented. 

• 27 posts
    August 12, 2018 10:41 AM PDT

Nanfoodle said:

MauvaisOeil said:

Scared to see a non-platemail tank but let's see how things get tuned before ! (No shield, no plate? must have tremendous bonuses...)

My Valewalker in DAoC did an awesome job tanking in cloth. Was the most fun I had playing a tank. 

I miss DAoC and my Theurgist

This post was edited by Bannik at August 12, 2018 10:42 AM PDT