Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Favorite MOBs or Encounters like to see here too

• 217 posts
    June 10, 2018 2:25 PM PDT

I was thinking about some different mobs from EQ1 that are cult classic memories that many of us fondly and infamously remember.  So I thought we could make a list of NPCs from EQ1 and Vanguard as well as certain zones or encounters that we either Loved, Hated or had a Love/hate relationship with and why.

This again can give the Devs some community feedback to feel our pulse in what we love, hate or both to stimulate creativity in their character developement or zone creations. Or so they could recreate a similar mob/zone for PRotF.

"Dorn B'Dynn strikes YOU for 120 points of damage"!

God I hated that bastard! But, I also loved it.  He would leave camp randomly and roam the sand dunes as you were camping and lay the smack down on you out of the blue! And he was a serious undercon too.  As it is, to this day when I play EQ1 if Im traveling through N Ro, I kill his ass for payback!!

Others I loved were the Cyclopse brothers, Choon, Froon and i forget the others names... the random were wolf in W Karanas and that dwarf in S Qeynos, forget his name now... all fun times and memories for their existance made things shook up a bit though frustrating at low levels lol.

Zones I loved were,

Mistmoore Castle

Befallen

Unrest

Xalgoz tomb

Sol A and B for sure!

Many more but I dint wanna hig em all lol.  These I have mentioned were well designed and challenging zones many with layers of difficulty and a myriad of mob types and different tactics to use for encounters. MANY fine memories!

• 1281 posts
    June 10, 2018 4:07 PM PDT

There are a few threads like this openn here in the General Discussion area.  I figured I'd say something before somone came in being snarky about it.

• 162 posts
    June 10, 2018 4:22 PM PDT

Kalok said:

There are a few threads like this openn here in the General Discussion area.  I figured I'd say something before somone came in being snarky about it.

Well, you're probably talking about the PoH discussion, which is one zone compared to this guys many. 

And I tell you, if there are any zones i hate the most, 

#1 Is Karnor's Castle... Who the flip is Karnor anyways? My guess, is he was an engineer that designed trains.

#2 Unrest - My hate for unrest still grows to this day. Sure, the exp was amazing, but man, if there was ever a train the whole zone had to clear out unless you were camping the back end of the court yard.

#3 Kithicor at Night... When it was Kithicor at Night. We even had a guild named after it on my server, I'll give you 1 guess on the name lol. But when I played rogue and had to go get my final epic kill, we needed a full raid, now it takes like 12 people tops, on the TLP server's. They really killed this zone, now undead spawn all day long but it's less in numbers. Kinda sad they nerfed this zone.

That being said, my favorite named mobs, well... Back to PoF, the 3 nameds Dread, Fright and i don't even remember if I am close lol, I know Dread was the one i hated the most. When he called you name you were dead. Ugh... Hated that so freaking much lol. I always tried to run like a girl, it was good entertainment. 

• 1281 posts
    June 10, 2018 4:32 PM PDT

Dubah said:

Well, you're probably talking about the PoH discussion, which is one zone compared to this guys many. 

#1 Is Karnor's Castle... Who the flip is Karnor anyways? My guess, is he was an engineer that designed trains.

#2 Unrest - My hate for unrest still grows to this day. Sure, the exp was amazing, but man, if there was ever a train the whole zone had to clear out unless you were camping the back end of the court yard.

#3 Kithicor at Night... When it was Kithicor at Night. We even had a guild named after it on my server, I'll give you 1 guess on the name lol. But when I played rogue and had to go get my final epic kill, we needed a full raid, now it takes like 12 people tops, on the TLP server's. They really killed this zone, now undead spawn all day long but it's less in numbers. Kinda sad they nerfed this zone.

That being said, my favorite named mobs, well... Back to PoF, the 3 nameds Dread, Fright and i don't even remember if I am close lol, I know Dread was the one i hated the most. When he called you name you were dead. Ugh... Hated that so freaking much lol. I always tried to run like a girl, it was good entertainment. 

Actually, I'm not.  I'm talking about several threads about things just like what he is talking about.  One of shich was started by myself baack in like January.

This post was edited by Kalok at June 10, 2018 4:33 PM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    June 10, 2018 11:33 PM PDT

Dubah said:

Kalok said:

Pretty sure every of PoF golems had the summon ability and deathtouch, meaning you usually lost the puller if he wasn't far enough to avoid beeing summoned or so, and death touch had something around 1min cooldown, meaning you lost a tank every 1min. Or a rogue, I managed to snatch aggro once and save our last tank at the last % of the boss by dieing.

• 432 posts
    June 11, 2018 2:01 AM PDT

It is interesting that every thread that calls for memories of EQ, 90% + of the players tell anecdotes from Classic EQ . A very small part would mention Kunark (first expansion) and virtually nobody mentions Velious or Luclin (2nd and 3rd expansions) . As for what followed, it is like if it had never existed in the memory of the players .

I wonder why it is so and I noticed that it works in the same way for me too . 20 years later, I still remember from Classic even what would be called today the "trash mobs" like that damn place just after the Bed Room in lower Guk where there were Ice skeletons seeing invis left and Bats seeing invis against undead right and the only way to get to the deep Guk places was going between them .

Damned if you invis against undead and damned if you don't . I died there SO often because I didn't hug the left wall close enough or because a bat decided to wander too far just when I started a mad dash around the corner ...

By contrast already Luclin is for me a blur with basically only Paludal Caverns and the Bazaar but not much else to be remembered and certainly nothing that would top memories of Blackburrow, Highhold Pass, Kelethin or that horrible , horrible wandering necromancer in the Qeynos hills who showed me the wrong of my ways when I mistook his pet for an inoffensive skeleton to get XP from .

What was there so special in Classic that wasn't there later anymore and  what was so strong that almost everybody and not only me remembers it so vividly and with so many details 20 years later even if we had stopped playing at least 15 years ago ? Perhaps it was the omnipresent danger and the fear of a horrible death which btw generally did happen ? On the other hand fear and death don't make memories that one would remember fondly . I don't know , just guessing ...

• 3852 posts
    June 11, 2018 7:36 AM PDT

I will throw in an old memory that has nothing to do with EQ just for the sake of being contrary.

A huge dungeon in Dark Ages of Camelot was called Darkness Falls. On most servers it was very much a pvp dungeon (called rvr of course) with special rules relating to how and when you could enter it, and entrance points for each of the three factions. On the cooperative server, Gaheris, there was no pvp but the place was filled with mobs to fight.

One of the major bosses was the Princess. A huge female humanoid who fought without armor. Or any other clothes. A melee character that got up close and personal with her typically had his or her face very much at the level of her crotch. Quite an ...interesting view. Many were the stories told of heroes that got just a little too close and ...well let's not go into any more detail than that.

• 1120 posts
    June 11, 2018 3:19 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:]

Pretty sure every of PoF golems had the summon ability and deathtouch, meaning you usually lost the puller if he wasn't far enough to avoid beeing summoned or so, and death touch had something around 1min cooldown, meaning you lost a tank every 1min. Or a rogue, I managed to snatch aggro once and save our last tank at the last % of the boss by dieing.

Summon yes. But terror did not death touch.  Which is why he was very highly sought after later on for his ability to be soloed and drop the AoN.

And the best tactic for avoiding being DTd as a tank was to keep light aggro and walk backwards before the DT.  The mob will target someone closer and kill them, then you walk back in and resume tanking.  I was able to successfully tank Eye of Veeshan like this for a solid 6 minutes, which is like 12 of his super aggressive DTs.

• 239 posts
    June 12, 2018 10:18 AM PDT
    For the OP....
    Yes. I think everyone killed Dorn running back through for vengeance. Haha.
    I always remeber the one gaurd in CL that was not on the same faction as the rest. So you would think your good until you heard him shout and chase after you.
    Zone wise that I hated... Karanas. I do not recall a bigger wide open zone, that not matter what you did some how you would always get an add and have to zone it before you died.
    Not to mention one of the most over looked zones ( cause loot was a joke) was Paw.
    • 769 posts
    June 12, 2018 10:43 AM PDT

Sounds like a large amount of stories of things missed are of the, "Ah s*it, I forgot that he was running around this zone" type things. With mobs that would attack you when you thought you were safe. What it comes down to is, in a lot of way, faction. 

Just bring that back. 

One thing that always stands out for me is Gorenaire. Who among us didn't dam near pee ourselves the first time we crested a hill and saw that big dragon? Who among us didn't dam near pee ourselves again when we accidentally ruined that faction and learned how gigantic his aggro range was. 

It's all about the faction. It lends a fluidity to gameplay that really does breed a tension not found in any modern MMO out there. 

This post was edited by Tralyan at June 12, 2018 10:43 AM PDT
    • 1120 posts
    June 12, 2018 3:19 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

One thing that always stands out for me is Gorenaire. Who among us didn't dam near pee ourselves the first time we crested a hill and saw that big dragon? Who among us didn't dam near pee ourselves again when we accidentally ruined that faction and learned how gigantic his aggro range was. 

It was a female dragon bro.  Show her respect.

• 627 posts
    June 15, 2018 9:02 AM PDT
    For me it's the Pixies and Willow the wisp also I like the Pegasus and Griffins.

I would love to see a mole type creature, that is hidden underneath the ground. When a player steps to close it will grasp he's feet and root him and then starts fighting.
    • 287 posts
    June 15, 2018 9:54 AM PDT

Deadshade said:

What was there so special in Classic that wasn't there later anymore and  what was so strong that almost everybody and not only me remembers it so vividly and with so many details 20 years later even if we had stopped playing at least 15 years ago ? Perhaps it was the omnipresent danger and the fear of a horrible death which btw generally did happen ? On the other hand fear and death don't make memories that one would remember fondly . I don't know , just guessing ...

Classic EQ was the first MMO experience for many of us so it's natural to remember that most fondly.  For the rest whatever their first MMO experience was would be their fond memories.  By the time the next expansion or game came around the veterans of the original are looking at the game more analytically and don't build the same emotional relationship with the new content.  Generally, emotion drives those fond memories and even if the experience was bad at the time it sticks as a memory and is often something you look back on fondly due to your social connections to it. 

The people you meet and play with make the game.  This is a core tenet of MMORPGs that pretty much every developer has forgotten.

• 62 posts
    June 15, 2018 10:59 AM PDT

SKELETONS, SKELETONS and MOREEE SKELETONS!!!

Maybe also a goblin or two.

EDIT: Ohhhh!!! Someone mentioned Pixies and Willow the wisps!  YES.  Those, too, please.  OHHHHHH AND GIANTS.  Giants are awesome.... Sand Giants and rare named giants included!!!

This post was edited by Perplexing89 at June 15, 2018 11:02 AM PDT
    • 332 posts
    June 17, 2018 1:04 AM PDT

Roehn Theer x4 (HM) from Eq2

Akylios from Rift - This is my all time favorite mob out of any raid encounter to date.

• 145 posts
    June 18, 2018 2:17 PM PDT

Deadshade said:

I wonder why it is so and I noticed that it works in the same way for me too . 20 years later, I still remember from Classic even what would be called today the "trash mobs" like that damn place just after the Bed Room in lower Guk where there were Ice skeletons seeing invis left and Bats seeing invis against undead right and the only way to get to the deep Guk places was going between them .

The newness of the game. When you first stepped into Norrath you were an open book with nothing written. Sure there was some games like UO that were considered the same but they really weren't. EQ started something and nobody will ever get that newness back. They chase it trying to repeat it, or even make it better but it just can't happen. Heck I find myself starting a character on P99 server just to roam around Kelethin and Gfay and Crushbone just to relive it. It's fun, but it will never be the same as it was. After awhile those feelings fade and what you're left with is chasing gear and expansions levels and AA's.

This post was edited by Moloka at June 18, 2018 2:18 PM PDT
    • 151 posts
    June 18, 2018 6:44 PM PDT
    Dragon kin, DRAGON NECROPOLIS I loved. Giants, Giant's fortress were fun. But mostly hunting rare named mobs wandering the zone.
    • 154 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:22 PM PDT

Nektropos Castle in EQ2 was pretty amazing. Not my favorite area, it was kind of scary and hard but it was very special for sure. I remember there were some kind of mysteries to solve, and weird stuff everywhere. 

Poet's palace and Maj'dul were great. Very unique feel to it. I think my favorite were the Temple of Cazic-Thule with the lizards and the Obelisk of the Lost Soul. 

• 89 posts
    June 18, 2018 9:28 PM PDT

I like fights where different parts of the group have to do different tasks at the same time while not dragging mobs into places that will get teammates dead.  Also fights where transition timing is more important than DPS racing.

• 145 posts
    June 19, 2018 2:13 PM PDT

I liked the Vishimtar fight in EQ1. I think it was the DoN expansion, not certain though. Vishimtar had a nasty frontal so positioning was key, there was clouds and adds around all the time. Some had mana drains, some had massive amounts of damage, then there was the zonewide creeping death dot that if you didn't run up to a cloud and say something to it killed you. Every time someone died a skeleton add would pop up and have to be dealt with.

There was a lot of offtanking, positioning, heads up awareness, and adds, I think one add even gave an AE mana surge. Just a lot going on and a lot to be aware of. Learning the fight without cheating on the internet was a lot of attempts. But once we figured it out it was an easy win most of the time.

There's also the Tunat Muram or (Big Tuna) I liked that fight. Mostly because of the DPS surge aat certain phases. Another mob I really liked was the balance mob in GoD. Had 4 pillar mobs basically and they had to be damaged down in between active and inactive phases of the boss. If they didn't get balanced then the boss would gain an ability enhancement making him harder.

• 2 posts
    June 19, 2018 3:12 PM PDT

Spectre train to docks!

• 690 posts
    June 27, 2018 12:11 AM PDT

Favorite thing to fight ever was probably Artorias from Dark souls...but barring that let's get to Everquest!

I really liked how in Kurn's Tower you would kill one Burynai or a quest skeleton or two in the basement and ALL the Burynai would have you kill on sight from then on. I liked how it was almost worth it since the burynai very rarely had a coveted wizard's item that sold for quite a bit. I liked the entire closed quarters build of the Kurn's tower basement and peering in each of the rooms for threats and rare spawns. 

I really liked how a ring that dropped very rarely from a random lvl 16 rare spawn in the lake of ill omen ended up being one of the most coveted items in an enchanter's repertoire due to letting them break charm instantly. Camping it was horribly annoying though, especially with all the high levels that wanted it too. 

I enjoyed how in crushbone and at commonland orc camps there were rare spawns that were much higher level than the other stuff. Having to ask nearby high levels to take care of it for you was fun, but I do wish Lord whatever his name in commonlands dropped something high levels might kind of like. 

Getting randomly murdered by Cazel and desert madmen while waiting for a boat had its moments. Watching that guy who dared to afk for a second at the boat get murdered by Cazel had its moments too. 

plains and other high level places have all been mentioned alreadyXD

I loved how the rule was broken sometimes but in general some places/mobs were great for experience and some places/mobs bad for experience but great for loot.

I loved how less contested/valuable areas/mobs still had groups of people camping them, even if those people just wanted to avoid all the competition. 

I hated Najeena. Those stupid holes in the floor. The constant switching between invis and invis vs undead. Those horrible overleved tentacle monsters near the front. If I had $10k, I would use the pledge perk to force VR to remake Najeena. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at June 27, 2018 12:13 AM PDT
    • 1120 posts
    June 27, 2018 10:44 AM PDT

Moloka said:

I liked the Vishimtar fight in EQ1. I think it was the DoN expansion, not certain though. Vishimtar had a nasty frontal so positioning was key, there was clouds and adds around all the time. Some had mana drains, some had massive amounts of damage, then there was the zonewide creeping death dot that if you didn't run up to a cloud and say something to it killed you. Every time someone died a skeleton add would pop up and have to be dealt with.

There was a lot of offtanking, positioning, heads up awareness, and adds, I think one add even gave an AE mana surge. Just a lot going on and a lot to be aware of. Learning the fight without cheating on the internet was a lot of attempts. But once we figured it out it was an easy win most of the time.

There's also the Tunat Muram or (Big Tuna) I liked that fight. Mostly because of the DPS surge aat certain phases. Another mob I really liked was the balance mob in GoD. Had 4 pillar mobs basically and they had to be damaged down in between active and inactive phases of the boss. If they didn't get balanced then the boss would gain an ability enhancement making him harder.

I love seeing other eq"ers who appreciate the later expansions raids.   They were so amazing. 

My favorite raid zone ever,  in any game,  is Inktutua.

• 1785 posts
    June 27, 2018 11:08 AM PDT

I could name so many if I sat down and thought about it. But since I am on my phone right now, I will just name one thing from one game :)

The Coldain Ring War