Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Underwater dungeons

• 81 posts
    June 10, 2018 10:24 AM PDT

EQ1 and some other games had whole areas devoted to underwater play. I think I'm right in saying the EQ1 underwater area was a required spot for the wizard elite weapon quest???

[Edit; Kedge Keep, not sure if it had elite weapon part drops, was sooo long ago.]

In any case I liked them. In EQ's case it threw a 'curve ball' into the game at a time when you thought you just about had things worked out.

Would you like to see underwater areas?

Blood.

This post was edited by Bloodfire at June 10, 2018 10:26 AM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    June 10, 2018 11:12 AM PDT

With dark myrs as they were advertised, I do hope to see some underwater dungeons.

Kedge keep was also a required step or mq for the rogue epic, even if the epic quest was quite scrapped somehow, making it fairly easy.

• 287 posts
    June 10, 2018 11:44 AM PDT
    Ahhh kedge keep. Great memories there and a nice experience bonus. Wizards, bards, and magicians all needed the boss of kedge keep for their epic weapons.
    • 217 posts
    June 10, 2018 1:52 PM PDT

Good news for you is one race is a water dwelling race and underwater areas as well as dungeons are a certainty.

• 780 posts
    June 10, 2018 8:03 PM PDT

It will be interesting to see how Syronai‘s Rest turns out, and whether one has to swim throughout the entirety of it.

• 844 posts
    June 10, 2018 10:47 PM PDT

Technically with atmospheres anything is possible.

Areas without oxygen, no gravity, where actions are backwards, ice skating, massive gravity, utter darkness, monochrome, bas-relief, distortion and on and on.

• 2886 posts
    June 11, 2018 3:57 AM PDT

There will most certainly be underwater areas. And you should expect to have to acclimate yourself to Anaerobic and Pressure climates before adventuring deeply in them.

• 3852 posts
    June 11, 2018 7:28 AM PDT

The one thing I do NOT want is *constant* risk of dying from lack of oxygen. That gets very frustrating fast. There should be some mechanism allowing you to go more than a minute or two without coming up to breathe or finding an air vent.

This post was edited by dorotea at June 11, 2018 7:29 AM PDT
    • 191 posts
    June 11, 2018 1:41 PM PDT

I'm super excited to see some underwater areas, dungeons included.  Underwater gameplay and level design is hard to get right and many games execute poorly, so I hope it's approached with appropriate consideration.

• 2886 posts
    June 12, 2018 7:01 AM PDT

dorotea said:

The one thing I do NOT want is *constant* risk of dying from lack of oxygen. That gets very frustrating fast. There should be some mechanism allowing you to go more than a minute or two without coming up to breathe or finding an air vent.

That's just a natural risk of swimming. But there will be spells, items, etc. that have effects similar to Enduring Breath in EQ. I'd expect them to not be too common, but that will give them good market value and give you something to work toward. Maybe even the Dark Myr will be able to hold their breath for longer or be able to breathe underwater.

• 3852 posts
    June 12, 2018 7:13 AM PDT

As long as there is a reasonable way to actually stay below water and enjoy the scenery without always needing to gulp in enough air to keep you going for another 60 seconds.

Whether it is a spell, mechanical, pieces of gear or the like doesn't matter. Nor does it need to last for hours. But I never enjoyed underwater exploration/combat without some way to take my eye off the breath meter (or equivilent) for a while and actually look around and relax a bit.

This post was edited by dorotea at June 12, 2018 7:13 AM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    June 12, 2018 8:08 AM PDT

dorotea said:

As long as there is a reasonable way to actually stay below water and enjoy the scenery without always needing to gulp in enough air to keep you going for another 60 seconds.

Whether it is a spell, mechanical, pieces of gear or the like doesn't matter. Nor does it need to last for hours. But I never enjoyed underwater exploration/combat without some way to take my eye off the breath meter (or equivilent) for a while and actually look around and relax a bit.

I'm not really favoring some "pocket of air" solution. To me, if you are adventuring in an underwater dungeon you should have planned ahead : Bring a class with enduring breath, bring an item with enduring breath, or explore at your own risk of drowning.

• 3852 posts
    June 12, 2018 12:20 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

dorotea said:

I'm not really favoring some "pocket of air" solution. To me, if you are adventuring in an underwater dungeon you should have planned ahead : Bring a class with enduring breath, bring an item with enduring breath, or explore at your own risk of drowning.

I agree. As long as such things exist I will go and get them before diving in.

• 643 posts
    June 18, 2018 6:45 AM PDT

dorotea said:

I think a minute or two is too long.  I want it to feel *REAL* and imersive.  I want the constant danger and fear of figuring out how to fight/travel;/explore differently.

I want breath issues just like EQ.

This post was edited by fazool at June 18, 2018 6:45 AM PDT
    • 259 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:06 AM PDT

I'm hoping for a large underwater world. Relating to the history of the Myr would be outstanding.

• 3852 posts
    June 18, 2018 7:06 AM PDT

>I want breath issues just like EQ.<

Good. If too many people agree with me I get nervous and start wondering if I missed something. Thanks.

• 1281 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:19 PM PDT

I avoided underwater combat in EQ because the underwater controls sucked. If they can fix that I wouldn't mind having to require special things like breathing equipment or spells to fight underwater.

It might also help if there were areas that you had to swim and fight underwater but also have places to emerge underwater and fight on land, like in water caverns or something.

• 2752 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:23 PM PDT

I don't think Myr have a water form or can breathe underwater...

• 62 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:25 PM PDT

I'm hoping the Dark Myr are able to have a racial ability that allows them to turn back into their mer-forms.  Lol.  MERMAIDS FTW

• 409 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:27 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I avoided underwater combat in EQ because the underwater controls sucked. If they can fix that I wouldn't mind having to require special things like breathing equipment or spells to fight underwater.

It might also help if there were areas that you had to swim and fight underwater but also have places to emerge underwater and fight on land, like in water caverns or something.

Underwater combat should be harder, more of a pain, clunky, etc. Chances are good if any of us tried to do any of a number of normal, every da tasks underwater, we'd find them all to be much more difficult. That makes sense. So why should a game make underwater play smoother and easier, when by definition, slower and clunkier would make far more sense?

Put me down as +1 for underwater environments, with all the underwater issues of old EQ1, minus maybe the infinite distance z-axis issues. Breathing, increased food consumption, harder spell casting, swimming skill, slower melee...all of it....please have Pantheon's tribute to Kedge Keep and Siren's Grotto. Please!!!

• 191 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:32 PM PDT

Iksar said:

I don't think Myr have a water form or can breathe underwater...

Mouse over the image on this page: http://www.pantheonmmo.com/races/dark_myr/

• 1399 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:38 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I found that EQ1 underwater controls did suck in third person view... but go to first person with mouse steer and it was very fluid and easy to control. My wife likened traveling through Kedge to ballet.

+1 for EQ1 Style.... I would have to go back and try it again to find anything I would want changed.

• 191 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:40 PM PDT

Venjenz said:

So why should a game make underwater play smoother and easier, when by definition, slower and clunkier would make far more sense?

Because it's a game, not a simulation.  It shouldn't be designed for realism, but for type 1, type 2, or type 3 fun.

• 2752 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:44 PM PDT

Shai said:

Mouse over the image on this page: http://www.pantheonmmo.com/races/dark_myr/

Yeah but I think that is a relic of ancient Pantheon, or just concept artwork showing how they looked before they were changed. The lore suggests they were permanently changed to be land-based creatures. 

This post was edited by Iksar at June 18, 2018 1:44 PM PDT
    • 191 posts
    June 18, 2018 1:44 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

+1 for EQ1 Style...

Man, I dunno.  Very few of the things that EQ did right were technical.  I'd take a good long think before I emulated its character or camera controls.  I think WoW was the gold standard in that regard.  Swimming wasn't bad in that game IIRC.

This post was edited by Shai at June 18, 2018 1:45 PM PDT