Forums » The Humans

Subcultures

• 69 posts
    June 3, 2018 3:48 PM PDT

As someone who is yet undecided on which race/class I will playing, Humans are in the strong running. However, something that was briefly touched upon in the "Are Humans Boring?" thread has gotten me wondering for quite some time. Will there be subcultures? For instance, Guild Wars 2 has the Krytans, Ascalonians, Cantha and the Elonians. All humans but each with their own distinctive cultural flavor. And if you want to get technical, EQ has its own human subculture as well (according to lore), granted most were player races which include the Erudites and Barbarians. EQ2 had the Dervish. Those are just some that come to mind.

Would subcultures even fit anywhere in the Pantheon Lore? Perhaps the human race became so homogenized due to their near extinction after the Deicide War? I would like to hope not. 

Just some thoughts. 

• 61 posts
    June 3, 2018 5:04 PM PDT

In Vanguard, each continent had a different human racial variation at character creation as well.

In Pantheon, I'm guessing there will just be one human race for character creation purposes, with subcultures being roleplaying or lore-based. Since all of the races were essentially ripped from their reality/universe/planet and deposited into Terminus relatively recently, it would be unlikely that too many divergent evolutionary paths might have cropped up. Anything is possible within the lore at this point though, and some races have diversity (subcultures) through factions and appearance mentioned already. As for humans specifically, they'd still racially be humans, might just hail from different areas or have different levels of melanin, just like real life! Each of the races seems like they're a little more geographically centered as well, meaning you wouldn't likely have (PC) humans born in every corner of every continent developing their own cultures. Who knows what they brought over from their previous home worlds though. We'll see more lore as we get closer to launch.

This post was edited by DagNabbit at June 3, 2018 5:09 PM PDT
    • 1179 posts
    June 4, 2018 5:14 PM PDT

I think Thronefast will probably be it for the humans, but to me it would make more sense for Druids, Rangers, and maybe Shamans to not live in the city.  Two starting cities like Qeynos and Freeport would be pretty cool.