Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Time for a head count!

• 1428 posts
    March 6, 2019 11:11 AM PST

@dorotea  the way pvp works in bdo is that by default no one can attack another player.  you can flag and kill whoever you want, but you lose karma.  once you go negative karma you can't go into towns are cities without being attack (these places are safe zones so they can't just slaughter people or npcs inside)  pvp isn't mandatory, but outside of pvp there isn't much since the end game is pvp.  well progression is a different beast in bdo.  i guess you can say pve is making money in bdo.

• 3852 posts
    March 6, 2019 1:11 PM PST

Thank you.

If I read you correctly my memory was correct. Anytime I am out there questing or harvesting someone can take it into their head to kill me. Remaining unflagged does *not* give me any protection it merely makes it more expensive for the murderer. I concede that is better than without the karma system - much better. BDO remains on my list of "far worse than Pantheon but may be worth some investment" games.

• 1428 posts
    March 6, 2019 1:21 PM PST

yea it doesn't protect you at all, however, you can channel swap or just let him kill you until he can't go into town.  it basically comes down to a point where who wants to waste whos time more.   very and i mean VERY few people kill without reason.  oddly enough, the grievers in this game are 'karma bombers' lol.

• 31 posts
    March 6, 2019 2:20 PM PST

stellarmind said:

black desert is FFA open world (currently playing until pantheon) and the way pvp is handled is pretty good.  i'll be extremely content if the pvp is similar.

Good to hear. I've quite often heard good things bout it. I'll take a closer look.

• 7 posts
    March 6, 2019 6:25 PM PST

Really like to Pvp but dont want that to be my sole focus when i log in.

• 74 posts
    March 6, 2019 6:34 PM PST

BamBam said: I hope to see world pvp, I'm 50/50 in my enjoyment of pvp and pve. As long as I'm not mezzed for 5 min straight I'm fine :) If VR goes with the pvp servers, i rly want to play on the "good" vs "evil" servers. That seems like a lot of fun to me, and you will have natural allies and enemies. My concern is that some zones could be controlled be a faction, here I hope it won't be to such a degree that quests, equipment, bosses won't be available at all due to the zone "camping".

+1, would love to see good vs evil pvp server. Having to do certain key events/ pvp to gain control of a map for a certain amount of time to make it less hostile for your side would be a good way to allow questing to continue in contested places.

• 287 posts
    March 7, 2019 10:36 AM PST

borgy95 said:

stellarmind said:

black desert is FFA open world (currently playing until pantheon) and the way pvp is handled is pretty good.  i'll be extremely content if the pvp is similar.

Good to hear. I've quite often heard good things bout it. I'll take a closer look.

The problem with BDO is there's an item you can only get in the cash shop that is crucial to PvP.  It costs like $30 -- the ghillie suit.  If you like open world FFA PvP but expect to be able to go about your business most of the time you are mistaken.  You either buy the ghillie suit and spend a good portion of your time ambushing others or you spend most of your time getting ambushed by people with the suit.

As the vast majority of players are solo the pickings are ripe for the griefers. 

• 1428 posts
    March 7, 2019 10:44 AM PST

the cost to grief in bdo is really high unless you decide to be a perma red player.  you don't kill weak players unless 3 mins of killing the undergeared is worth u grinding out 3 to 4 hours.

• 752 posts
    March 7, 2019 8:03 PM PST

Classic example of a question with limited answers being derailed by answers not on the spectrum. PVE, RP, and/or PVP. Quite simple. You can choose all 3 - That is ok.

• 62 posts
    March 10, 2019 1:03 PM PDT

I do enjoy PvP from time to time. But my experience is that "balancing" classes in an mmo never works. And sometimes the challenge of balancing will get stuff nerfed which impact PvE.

This game i really want to play for PvE and RP. (I did Vanguard PvP and it was fun, but sometimes did ruin your day of crafting)

• 35 posts
    March 10, 2019 2:31 PM PDT

PvP fan here. Nothing like a good old survival of the fittest.

• 4 posts
    March 10, 2019 3:32 PM PDT

PvE & RP here

This post was edited by Quiver at March 10, 2019 3:34 PM PDT
    • 127 posts
    March 11, 2019 11:15 AM PDT

PvP and RP both, for me.

But in Pantheon if I'd have to choose one or the other, I'd probably choose RP (because the game isn't being set up as a PvP centric game). I would eventually try out a faction war server with territory control if that sees the light of day.

• 223 posts
    March 11, 2019 1:44 PM PDT

PVE & RP ,  I only enjoy PVP on shooter style games.

• 70 posts
    March 11, 2019 4:40 PM PDT

PVE definatly, but I do Love how eq had an arena in every hometown for open pvp and maybe individual duels... though i think it would be pretty awsome to have a neutral area with an arena so that all faction can participate in an A$$ whoopin

• 42 posts
    March 12, 2019 10:19 AM PDT

PvP  however I do enjoy the PvE stuff and due to that toss in RP with it, while not always in character, My character is always in me

• 42 posts
    March 12, 2019 10:23 AM PDT

stellarmind said:

yea it doesn't protect you at all, however, you can channel swap or just let him kill you until he can't go into town.  it basically comes down to a point where who wants to waste whos time more.   very and i mean VERY few people kill without reason.  oddly enough, the grievers in this game are 'karma bombers' lol.

I have found if you engage the person you are pvping in chat after the fight and are not an upset snowflake about getting ganked then they will more times than not be honourable back and move on.  It's only the times I got whiny and crabby about it that I got camped.

• 52 posts
    March 12, 2019 10:28 AM PDT

PvE

• 37 posts
    March 13, 2019 2:34 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

While Pantheon is primarily a PvE game we will have separate PvP servers - so let's do a quick head count - How many PvP and RP fans do we have within our awesome community? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

pure PVE fans here  from the golden age of Everquest 

My love of EQ stems from a confluence of factors - the game itself, the world design , the state of the internet and gaming more broadly, my age that, when combined with a liberal sprinkling of nostalgia, make the experience one of a kind.

• 9 posts
    March 13, 2019 4:13 AM PDT

Hi - just signed up today - getting excited for the future!

For me I want both PvE and a PvP option - preferably race based like the old EQ Zek servers VZ & SZ. I had such a blast on those and whilst all PvP can be abused to a degree, the most entertaining moments I've had in EQ were probably there. There is a real mindset in current MMO's to max out and grind end game. It's hard to do that when you have to contemplate being ambushed in a zone, and I personally find that refreshing.

• 3 posts
    June 13, 2019 5:17 PM PDT

Definitely down for FFA!

• 125 posts
    June 13, 2019 5:36 PM PDT

I enjoy hardcore PVP if it’s somewhat balanced. Like RZ. I played all the Zek servers but RZ was My fav-Reputation matters. 

• 17 posts
    June 13, 2019 5:49 PM PDT
    PvE and RP for sure. I like PvP at times but like it has been stated before it's not my goal in an MMO. If I want to kill other players I would do so in an FPS format. I like MMO's for the community building they require, PVP creates division whether it be faction based or team based. There are plenty of other games for that type of game play.
    • 5 posts
    June 14, 2019 3:11 PM PDT

PvP.

I dont think I could handle a MMO without it. Nothing better then fighting over mobs. Without PvP, I might as well be playing a single player game with a co-op option.

• 521 posts
    June 15, 2019 2:58 PM PDT

I do like PVP to break up the pace, but id probably not roll a separate character on a PVP specific server due to time-sink. I would enjoy some type of optional PVP such as a Dueling arena of sort where spectators could even place bets ect..