Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Time for a head count!

• 1 posts
    November 23, 2018 5:17 PM PST

PvE only, RP is fine too.

• 145 posts
    November 25, 2018 1:18 AM PST

I personally enjoy playing on a pve server, so i can choose world pvp if i feel like i,t same thing with battlegrounds. to me its an afterthought but i still enjoy it sometimes id just rather have pve thats done well first

This post was edited by stonetothebone85 at November 25, 2018 1:19 AM PST
    • 37 posts
    November 25, 2018 2:48 AM PST

i'm full pve and RP, i hate pvp.

glad you'll made separate pvp servers, just like in everquest 1.

please focus on pve, pvp should only be a bonus mode coming when all the pve stuff is done.

• 13 posts
    November 25, 2018 10:09 AM PST

PVE all day

• 137 posts
    November 25, 2018 10:26 AM PST
    I personally like PvE and PvP with a splash of RP.

Really I would like Pantheon to focus in PvE and offer PvP as a side activity. I really enjoyed duking it out in arenas and dueling in EQ1. Love world PvP of DAoC, PvP was actually good in early WoW, but I really don't need it to be 100% PvP.

If you were to offer PvP servers, I would most likely try them. But what I would really love to see is a PvE game with contested PvP zones, not just arenas(yes, I still want arenas). I think it would be a lot of fun to have zones that had certain resources in them, whether it be crafting or even mobs, that when you step foot inside you are flagged. Now, none of these resources should be anything that is exclusive to that zone, forcing players that don't want to PvP to partake, but more of an alternative content.

Most importantly, don't ever balance classes for PvP, it ruins PvE.
    • 11 posts
    November 25, 2018 10:57 AM PST

PVE only. RP only if there are other server specific rulesets that I find attractive.

• 159 posts
    November 25, 2018 11:04 PM PST

To put it simply, I want to PvE in an open PvP environment. I don't care about PvP ladders or arena style instances at all.

I want to be at risk of a player ruining my day or having the option to do the same. It would need some sort of caveat; potentially with safe zones in specfici areas or cities, or at least with NPC guards that will back up the innocent.

• 2 posts
    November 25, 2018 11:16 PM PST

PVE only, but open to PVP if you can come up with some clever instanced group vs group system... but no open world PVP.

• 67 posts
    November 26, 2018 9:29 PM PST

PVP is life!!!!!! Rallos Zek server!! First to kill Sleeper!! And It was always awesome when they had the server merge PVP battles....Rallos always showed up....to win!! :) I hope the DEVs have some kind of server merge PvP events! Those that may not like PVP...always wanted to really test themselves in the arena and see if they had what it takes....

• 7 posts
    November 27, 2018 7:02 AM PST

All of the above. I've been a part of some great PvP communities that really came together in times of need and it felt like because of the need to support each other it helped us form some pretty tight bonds. 

I do have some very fond memories of my brother and I RPing a couple dwarves years back....giving a group of elves a pretty hard time for not having facial hair.

• 2 posts
    November 27, 2018 7:08 PM PST

Free for all PVP

• 23 posts
    November 27, 2018 8:41 PM PST

I really enjoy PvP (despite the fact I tend to suck at it), but only in games that was built first and formost with PvP in mind (DAoC, Shadowbane, EvE, Darkfall, Mortal Online, AA, and recently BDO). I've always found games where PvP was brought in later it was never really done well, and could never be properly balanced. So honestly for pantheon I will probalby never touch a PvP server, and so for my PvP fix I'll probalby check out one of the others coming out like Ashes of Creation or Camelot Unchained.

As for RP I have never bothered with it; just not my scene, but I do hope Pantheon has an extremely well done RP ruleset for those that do.

• 129 posts
    November 28, 2018 7:59 AM PST

I'll be on a PVE server because of the guild. That said, if PVP it has to be free pvp. Shadowbane was good at this, yes griefing sucks sometimes but thats how you get a community and drama that fights it.

• 287 posts
    November 28, 2018 11:32 AM PST

eldrun said:

disposalist said:

I would prefer no PvP, but if it's absolutely segregated and takes minimal development effort away from the PvE, then I suppose it's fine.

It is segregated. I mean you asking for something you don’t like to not be implemented is like me asking for there to be no rp servers. Doesn’t affect me so I shouldn’t care.

That isn't entirely true. An MMO that has PvP servers tends to spend an exceedlingly large part of their resources trying to balance classes, gear and abilities for PvP thus damaging the PvE experience.  A game that is pure PvE doesn't worry about it so much and can spend more time building the world and less time nerfing players.

• 34 posts
    November 28, 2018 12:07 PM PST

PVE/RP - I am totally fine with there being a PVP server. Let them have at one another and all that, OVER THERE :)

• 18 posts
    November 29, 2018 3:57 AM PST

Firstly:  The only time I think having PvP in a game along side PvE content is fun and enjoyable is when your PvE gear/level/progression contributes to your performance in the PvP spectrum.

The minute you introduce PvP only abilities, modifiers, gear, etc - it's a broken game element and should be discarded.

Secondly: Two major ways for me to 'flex' my raid progress and experience are:

1. Stand in a popular area and show of my rare shiny gear

2. Run ham over the weaker opponents in PvP because my organized dps assist train is dominating their healers' capability to keep people alive (and vice versa).  Superior gear makes us that much more dominant.

The segregation of PvP activities to separate servers is unfortunate, as I believe the open world PvP element is a great way to deal with things like competition for rare spawns and dungeon access.  The power you obtain in your PvE struggle should be wieldable against your competitors!  As for those who don't want to compete and instead would rather 'stand in line' for their turn at a spawn, well, perhaps an instanced dungeon game would be more appropriate for them.  And after they see how well humans 'stand in line' when left without someone policing every player action, they may even be begging for a chance to contest the theft of a spawn.  Here's a wild idea - make freshly looted (15m or so) stuff available on players' corpses!  Imagine the glorious back-stabbing and savagery!   

Without number 2 above, I fear a major component of the human psyche is left out, and a major component of the reward for adventure and competition, at least for me anyway, just isn't there.  

• 5 posts
    November 29, 2018 4:38 PM PST
    Pvper here, Zek p99 red!
    • 5 posts
    November 29, 2018 4:55 PM PST
    Hard earned gear should have an advantage over those with out. Although it should not be as big of a divide as in archeage, were one guy can tank an army of plebs and one shot them.

Twinks were an element to EQ that was both aggrivateing and gave you something to work for. When you worked hard for that one item that had soooo much value, simply due to the ability to, pass it to an alt, friend or sell. Made the desire to work for gear INCREADLY satisfying. Questing for gear that you would out level in 5-10 levels diluted gear and makes a chore grindfest. Which kills the value of all items except endgame.

Level restrictions for pvp makes sense for obvious reasons. Also finding balance in pvp classes should not be the goal, but finding roles as in pve should. This of course may lead to a flood of wizard and sk types, but In the end would be dominated by a well organized group against the random solo griefer.

Higher arch of power: Group>Skill/Class>Gear>Level.

Most pvp I have played, this has been the best formula. It will also play into the community aspect as two people should always be more powerful than one.
    • 36 posts
    November 29, 2018 7:26 PM PST

PVE/Raiding. I like group work as well, but raiding is my meat and potatoes. Don't care much for soloing. Might as well watch a movie at that point.

• 74 posts
    November 29, 2018 8:16 PM PST

I like PvP and PvE.

I like the choice to do things solo and in a group. My biggest fear is that Pantheon will put TOO MUCH on character progression derived through gear acquired via group Dungeon's. I don't want Pantheon to be a rinse and repeat PvE cycle.

I want communicty but give the game more diversity. Give the game rare random spawn's for rare quests or extremely rare loot. Keep the heart of Dungeons & Dragons alive by making treasure rare and very hard to acquire. 

Success derived through great effort is more often the sweetest reward.  

This does not mean Gear Progression.. or even power.. but development of character through interaction with the world and world immersion.

Long Live the Glorious Day

~ CaffeineInjected ~

This post was edited by Caffeineinjected at November 29, 2018 8:17 PM PST
    • 79 posts
    November 29, 2018 9:19 PM PST

PvE or RP for me

I do like PvP and in a open world setting it can lead to some unique experiences battling people your level out of nowhere which is a lot of fun. But unfortunatly those experiences are very rare and real open world PvP is mostly trying to make a fight as unfair as possible because no one likes to die/lose. So be it griefing low level people, fighting a group of people with a raid, or just plain finding the cheapest possible way to exploit kill people that is what open world PvP mostly is.

This is probably one of the few areas where I prefer the modern MMO PvP scenario games more than the old school style with open world PvP. But to each there own if you have a group of people to PvP with it can be a lot of fun to ruin peoples gaming lives especially if people don't partake in the A holery that is corpse camping.

• 12 posts
    December 3, 2018 1:50 PM PST

PvE player reporting in! I'm also an RPer IRL, but a game needs a lot of feature to support roleplaying before I will venture into it in the game. (Look at Neverwinter Nights rp for what I'm looking for. Lots of good work by the community to make features that support rp between players in that game).

• 3 posts
    December 3, 2018 2:10 PM PST

PvE all the way!

• 1 posts
    December 4, 2018 8:28 AM PST

Glad I'm not too late!  Definitely want RP and PvE. In all honesty, if I really have a PvP scratch to itch, I'd much prefer a game like Overwatch. But thats just me, and I think they'll do a great job trying to accomodate everyone the best way they can!  I can't wait!!!!

This post was edited by Melody at December 4, 2018 8:28 AM PST
    • 61 posts
    December 4, 2018 8:36 AM PST

(Punching)Monitors are too expensive for me to do PvP anymore, so I stick with PvE nowadays.