Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Anyone remember Rasper?

• 27 posts
    May 30, 2018 3:19 PM PDT

eHi All!

As a longtime player of EQ I remember countless times that Rasper's Helpdesk was the source of information I needed to be successful. Alas, years ago he dropped out of th EQ numbers rat-race... and was sorely missed in game.

But, some time ago I connected with him on FB and he recently put out this post

Pantheon. The spiritual successor to the original Everquest, with it's harsh death penalty, required grouping, and classic feel. It is currently in Alpha testing and video of it on YouTube certainly feeds that vanilla Everquest nostalgia (but with better than 1999 graphics heh). They haven't announced Beta dates yet. I certainly intend to try the game when it comes out, and if possible to continue the Rasper's Repository legacy.

A friend suggested that I put out a "GoFundMe" type thing to get me a Pantheon Pledge for my birthday (June 25). $100 would get me into Beta when it comes out (along with the ability to reserve the name Rasper). So... if you want to kick a few bucks into the "Get Rasper into Pantheon for his birthday" pool, you can send in via Paypal address Mathadon@gmail.com

I got to thinking that if everyone who ever used his resources donatd even a paltry couple bucks, it would help make this amazing community resource available in Terminus. Maybe even the powers that be might grant PA Access...

This post was edited by Kytastrophe at May 30, 2018 3:20 PM PDT
    • 4 posts
    May 30, 2018 5:04 PM PDT

Benefactors came through and covered my pledge (well beyond my expectations), so Rasper is around!

• 1 posts
    May 30, 2018 6:00 PM PDT

Hello! Welcome Rasper! Glad you made it in! I also just joined, old school EQ player from Beta 1999. Hiddukel from Cazic-thule. Ex Conquest member (Later became Fires of Heaven). First 50 Rogue on Xegony (Mein Swiftstryker). Wonder if my old buddy Zelena Swiftsteele from Xegony will be joining in on this. If you are out there Zel, let me know! Haven't seem him in years. Played EQ2, DAOC, Rift, SWG and AO. Been a while since I got into a MMO because they are all watered down. Looking forward to this and getting involved again. Glad to see Rasper made it in. Trying to get some of my other old school buddies in on this too. Looking forward to the open Alpha.

• 3852 posts
    May 31, 2018 6:16 AM PDT

We only *wish* Pantheon was in alpha. Hopefully later this year. No guarantee about reserving the name either - someone else could grab it first but that won't be me. 

Welcome to Pantheon.

• 780 posts
    May 31, 2018 7:06 AM PDT

Welcome Rasper.  I'm not familiar with you, but it's always good to have another helpful chap around.  The current plan for names is that everyone will start with a first name and a surname, so there may be several Raspers on your server, but at least you can be one of them.

• 4 posts
    May 31, 2018 7:21 PM PDT

Hiya.  I was a guide maker for Everquest, generally from Dragons of Norrath until Veil of Alaris.   Really enjoyed the game until the direction for the raids went screwy.  Everything became so optimized that if you didn't have just the right number of just the right classes, all played by people that have no distractions, you couldn't see your guild make any progress.  Combine that with an overabundance of "dance" mechanics (move away, move close, jump out the window, remove your bracer, duck, turn around...) that transformed raids into a game of simon says, and I just couldn't take any more. 

But I adored finding the what, where, and how for all the loot, rares, quests, etc and putting it into a web format for easy access.  If you want to see the kind of stuff I did, check out http://www.raspersrealm.com/Everquest/

• 3852 posts
    June 1, 2018 8:01 AM PDT

I hope very strongly that this won't be a game of dance moves. I've seen that in FFXIV for regular dungeons not raids and it was awful. Memorizing what pixel to go to at what precise time and what direction to face while taking the one specific action needed to avoid a wipe isn't my idea of fun in a MMO. We improve and practice combat abilities as we develop our characters - success in a dungeon should be based on how well we use them, and how well the group or raid coordinates, not how well we dance.

This post was edited by dorotea at June 1, 2018 8:01 AM PDT
    • 62 posts
    June 1, 2018 2:23 PM PDT

Yeah Dungeon Dancing, I hated it and refused to do dungeons in WoW - but then the last iteration of it made it so that you "needed" to do dungeons to advance your crafting! yuk! I left.

I've just checked out your website Rasper - Fantastic!

This post was edited by Koala at June 1, 2018 2:23 PM PDT