Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Everquest Circa 1999 In Review

• 346 posts
    May 26, 2018 3:02 PM PDT

Having some spare time at work on a Saturday no less, I decided to go through some archival footage of magazines during 1999 when Everquest was debuted on the market. In it you get an understanding of the era and what people were given as a Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Game. In one particular review, Brad was quoted about the importance of community. It's something we've lost somewhat in the MMORPG and MMOAAG markets as of late and seemingly something Pantheon is trying to return to.

For those too young at the time or for those who want to reminisce or even gawk in the archival footage, you can also browse through the links to get a slight idea of what the era was like in gaming during the inception to Everquest from those two magazines.

Computer Games Strategy Plus: Issue 98 - Jan 1999

Following archival footage can be enlarged with the magnification icons in the upper right of screen.

Next Generation: Issue 54 - June 1999

PC Accelerator: Issue 10 - June 1999 - Review

PC Accelerator: Issue 10 - June 1999 - Player Guide

This post was edited by Janus at May 26, 2018 3:10 PM PDT
    • 346 posts
    May 26, 2018 3:29 PM PDT

Two others I came across...

Time Magazine: June 1999

Gamespot: April 1999

• 162 posts
    May 26, 2018 3:40 PM PDT

You wanna know what's really funny. Is Prima made a big book, i guess a strategy guide is what they called it when kunark came out, and i still own that... It's sad, my dad bought it, i spent some time reading it just for poops and giggles.

Sorry, i know this is not what you are talking about, just figured I'd bring it up because I to this day have this book... It's sad.

Good articles tho, I have read them before but some time ago... Probably 1999 lol.

• 200 posts
    May 26, 2018 3:48 PM PDT
    That was awesome to read, thank you! :) And I still have my original EQ game boxes Dubah despite moving many times and such, whenever I see them it brings a smile to my face.
    • 346 posts
    May 26, 2018 4:08 PM PDT

@Dubah I have that same strategy guide. I only bought it because in that era there weren't gamepedia/wikis or online strats other than the maps and patchy info via three of the key EQ sites, one of which was Allakazams.

• 162 posts
    May 26, 2018 4:22 PM PDT

Oh yeah, i have the boxes too lol. And that's all after i went into the military deployed twice and all that stuff, still i somehow kept it all.

• 201 posts
    May 26, 2018 5:01 PM PDT

Makes me misty eyed.

• 780 posts
    May 28, 2018 12:08 PM PDT

Thanks for the links.  It was nice to look back.

• 257 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:29 PM PDT

Ugh. Now I feel old.

• 2886 posts
    May 29, 2018 3:43 AM PDT

Darkintellect said:

@Dubah I have that same strategy guide. I only bought it because in that era there weren't gamepedia/wikis or online strats other than the maps and patchy info via three of the key EQ sites, one of which was Allakazams.

I also still have it. I'll never get rid of it. I'll even thumb through it every now and then. It's fun to look back at all the screenshots and lore tidbits.

• 432 posts
    May 29, 2018 9:19 AM PDT

• 769 posts
    May 29, 2018 10:47 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Darkintellect said:

I also still have it. I'll never get rid of it. I'll even thumb through it every now and then. It's fun to look back at all the screenshots and lore tidbits.

Argh! I wish I still had that strat guide. My machine was horrible way back when. Months would go by that I was unable to play, so instead I would spend hours re-reading the strategy guide and playing the little off-line tutorial thing, over and over and over and over. 

• 30 posts
    July 21, 2018 6:10 AM PDT

If anyone wants to snag a copy of the Strategy Guide, head over to Amazon and type in "Everquest strategy guide"in the search. They are obviously all used but is a great source of nostalgia to have in your hands!

On a side note, I still have all of my origional game boxes from the origional on up. I would stop playing now and then and then grab one of the special editions which had all of the expansions to that point when I felt like playing again. I decided to open my storage case which has all of my EQ games.. Man, it takes me back! The origional Everquest game box has the paper map of Norrath with the 989 Studios logo on the back and the Rise of Kunark one has the cloth map. I REALLY hope that we get theopportunity to purchase a box set of Pantheon. I was going to upload a pic of all of my EQ boxes laid out but the forum software is spazzing out and it's not working.

I spent many years playing on P99 and loved it there. I got to raid all of the high end content in my guild (stuff I mostly missed out on in the past). It's a great nostalgia tour playing there.

• 844 posts
    July 21, 2018 10:32 AM PDT

I just threw out hundreds of old games I had been keeping in storage for years. Going back to the early 90's I guess.

I did find that apparently I had bought 3 copies of Ultima Online back in the day, the version with the map and pin. But wow they were $55 back then in 97.

• 30 posts
    July 21, 2018 11:18 AM PDT

Here's a shot of my EQ game stuff. There's a LOT of great memories sitting there!