Forums » The Ranger

Ranger Class Reveal

• 28 posts
    May 22, 2018 4:09 AM PDT

I think one of the advantages of a limited skillbar is that they can in fact get away with restricted skills - with limitless hotbar space you have the issue of 'half my skills don't work when I am in a dungeon and so I suck compared to others' whereas in a game where swapping skills out is common place, it means there is plenty of opportunity to have skill limitations because when in a dungeon you simply use a hotbar full of skills you can use rather than be stuck with a bunch you cannot, so you are always on 'equal footing' because you have the same number of skills fully available as anyone else. 

Regarding animals speficially, there may be animal spells that work in a dungeon and some that work outdoors

• 254 posts
    May 22, 2018 2:22 PM PDT

xaices said:

[blockquote]Flossie said:

I just want to thank Joppa for the amazing design of the ranger class. It was very relieving to see that the ranger will indeed not be a pet class, and has a lot of ranged ability (slightly more than melee it seems, based on the abilities). So again, thank you Joppa for making this class feel unique!

Rangers rejoice, we can breathe again. :)

According to a video interview IIRC the Ranger is primarily melee based and the range portion is nothing more than Disengage/Reengage high burst low sustain. The meat and potatoes of Ranger gameplay is Melee based with intermittent ranged attacks for burst damage.   If I understand correctly the Ranger is going to be constantly transitioning from melee (majority) to ranged (minority) and back again to maximize dps. Also according to the Interview, the Ranger is a pet class, the pet is somewhat pivotal to Ranger combat.  "Animal Affinity side... also how they do their damage and how they control things and manuever." -Perkins

Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vebn1AN6KY&feature=youtu.be Time Stamp 30:31

[/blockquote]

I'm basing my statement off what is available in the class reveal, there seems to be more ranged abilities than there are melee abilities, and the ranger is definitely not a pet class like the summoner or WoW hunter. They have some dumbfire pets, and some animal based utility, but no permanent pet.

This post was edited by Flossie at May 22, 2018 2:25 PM PDT
    • 86 posts
    May 22, 2018 6:02 PM PDT

Defeneitly not a pet class, the pet's are just fancy animations for utility. I'm excited to see where this goes but I hope it's a great mix of both ranged and melee abilities!

• 101 posts
    May 29, 2018 9:58 AM PDT

I'm stoked. 'nuff said =)

• 595 posts
    May 30, 2018 11:46 PM PDT

Guys, I realize it's not a standart "pet class". However having my action triggered by animal companions for numerous ones, even if they are just animations, is simply not how I enjoyed the idea of a ranger.

I was more about an ambivalent melee fighter, using martial prowess as much as nature (or elemental) magic. Here the deal include a lot of animal handling, making the character less self sufficient in lore, but dependant of animal help.

That's fine for who like or love it, I'm just not that in it !

• 44 posts
    May 31, 2018 1:43 AM PDT

I pretty much agree. There's bit much animal handling for my tastes; I like the ferret and such but would drastically prefer to be able to do my own melee attacks, or at least most of them - the resulting feeling is very different. And yeah, nature magic is sorely missed! 

• 81 posts
    June 10, 2018 2:56 PM PDT

I'm usually a rogue player, but if the ranger has both the traps, a scouting ferret (!), and special alarm arrows, i might actually consider playing it, based on the class reveals. Looks pretty fun.

This post was edited by Gideon at June 10, 2018 2:57 PM PDT