Forums » The Ranger

Silent Arrow

• 60 posts
    May 17, 2018 5:02 AM PDT

I just read the new Ranger class posting, and fell in love with Silent Arrow. Manual Aiming! My mind is rushing now at possible use in pulling, or just being an assassin to low level mobs. 

Am I the only one excited by this concept of an fps-type element?

• 211 posts
    May 17, 2018 5:37 AM PDT
    It's very cool indeed, and the can fly also apparently :)
    • 204 posts
    May 17, 2018 6:21 AM PDT

Glad you like it!

I have loved working on the design of the Ranger class :)

• 465 posts
    May 17, 2018 6:44 AM PDT

Joppa, and everyone else.... thank you. The Ranger sounds completely bad ass. I just absolutely cannot wait now. 

Reading the description of the abilities I can just envision the class in combat.

I liken this type of Ranger to R.A. Salvatore's writings of Drizzt. How the momentum resource flows in battle sounds amazing. I can already see some tactics coming into play.

My god.... so much excitement.

• 565 posts
    May 17, 2018 6:48 AM PDT

Frankly I found myself shocked at the abilities I read. Reinvigorated my interest mightily. Only now I expect to see servers over-flowing with Rangers. :)

• 136 posts
    May 17, 2018 9:45 AM PDT

Before I read the ranger write up that was just released I was only interested in playnig a shaman. The variety of abilities and utility that I saw in the rnager has me second guessing myself. I was not expecting to get that much detail from the reveal. It makes me excited to see what you guys have in store for the other classes. I am thinking I will have a ranger in this game. The classes are all seeming very different from each other. I know they said that was what they were going to do. It's just nice to see details of what they are trying to accomplish. I hope they get there.

• 3773 posts
    May 17, 2018 10:43 AM PDT

I agree that before I figured I probably wouldn't play the Ranger much, but now I am totally rethinking that. The Ranger sounds like a lot of fun - definitely a nice departure from the traditional warrior/druid hybrid that dies a lot lol. I hope to see more abilities that merge action combat & tab-targeting. That could be pretty revolutionary.

• 122 posts
    May 17, 2018 10:50 AM PDT
    This ability piqued my interest and I have a couple thoughts on it..

Will it be a skill shot type of ability in terms of needing to lead targets on the move? Or as long as you released the ability on the model it's a hit.

Should there be "bullet drop" meaning the arrow loses velocity over distance and you'll have to aim higher for far tagets? I imagine this wouldn't be a thing and there's just a set range we can use it at.

Since you manually aim will Rangers have an ability to determine "weak spots" on a target for more damage?

What do you guys and gals think?
    • 204 posts
    May 17, 2018 11:01 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I agree that before I figured I probably wouldn't play the Ranger much, but now I am totally rethinking that. The Ranger sounds like a lot of fun - definitely a nice departure from the traditional warrior/druid hybrid that dies a lot lol. I hope to see more abilities that merge action combat & tab-targeting. That could be pretty revolutionary.

Silent Shot is a risk I really wanted to take. It's going to come down to quality of implementation in the end, but carefully capturing certain Action elements within a TAB-target framework, where appropriate, is something I've wanted to try as a way of evolving this genre.

• 211 posts
    May 17, 2018 11:26 AM PDT
    @Joppa wice choice my friend, can't wait to try it out! My only concern is, how long will the ranger need to wait, to not pull agro on pull when using Silent shot and dealing a massive amount of damage. Maybe cause it's a silent shot, some agro should or could be removed from it also? So the ranger actually can start fighting ;) just my 2 cents <3
    • 3 posts
    May 17, 2018 11:41 AM PDT

The thing I am curious about for Silent Arrow is how the description says it will auto crit if the target is caught in a trap, but at the end of the description it says it is only usable while out of combat. So I am guessing using traps does not initiate or put you into combat?

No idea why that posted 3 times. Sorry about that. Was on Mobile.

This post was edited by Kronick at May 17, 2018 11:45 AM PDT
    • 204 posts
    May 17, 2018 11:49 AM PDT

Kronick said:

The thing I am curious about for Silent Arrow is how the description says it will auto crit if the target is caught in a trap, but at the end of the description it says it is only usable while out of combat. So I am guessing using traps does not initiate or put you into combat?

No idea why that posted 3 times. Sorry about that. Was on Mobile.

Great question! One of the benefits of the "Hidden" trap line is that these traps, like Hidden Snare, will not cause you to enter combat until the effect of the trap ends.

• 3 posts
    May 17, 2018 11:54 AM PDT
    Thank you for the reply Joppa! I love what you have shown us with all three of these class reveals! To me it shows how carefully you are planning out each class to feel unique and special in their own ways! I can foresee me making one of every class in this game and playing them for years to come!
    • 19 posts
    May 17, 2018 2:52 PM PDT

I am definitly bringing my ranger out of retirement for this game. Was leaning towards playing a tank but I think my wife's cleric will just have to heal the ranger again. I love the sound of this and cant wait to make this ranger my own. Thank you Joppa.

• 465 posts
    May 17, 2018 3:20 PM PDT

With each post Joppa makes, and each little tidbit we get, I get more excited.

This is just everything I wanted in a Ranger.

• 64 posts
    May 18, 2018 3:03 AM PDT

BamBam said: @Joppa wice choice my friend, can't wait to try it out! My only concern is, how long will the ranger need to wait, to not pull agro on pull when using Silent shot and dealing a massive amount of damage. Maybe cause it's a silent shot, some agro should or could be removed from it also? So the ranger actually can start fighting ;) just my 2 cents <3

How about the shot causes the aggro caused to immediately be placed on first visible target/first target in aggro range (aggro kind of goes 'on the stack'as it were) - mob walks on trap, Ranger Silent shots it, tank goes charging in, mob sees tank and assumes he/she is the one that caused its hurt, as a result the aggro caused from the shot is now 'in play' and attributed to the tank.  Would be great way to help tank get an initial hold on aggro as well as a good way of preventing Ranger from starting off with crazy amount of aggro that tank struggles to recover. 

There would have to be some sort of short duration 'debuff' on the mob or something so that it isn't abused - shooting then leaving, then an unsuspecting pair of adventurers walk past 10 minutes later and for some reason that poor Wizard cannot lose aggro to his more melee orientated friend!  I would imagine the shot would attribute a small portion of aggro to the Ranger to initiate combat. 

On another note, my full compliments to Joppa for the design of the Ranger...and Rogue for that matter.  Both are classes I don't usually bother with because DPS classes are boring to me - I like to be able to influence combat in more meaningful ways than just more damage.  The utility added to these classes makes them far more appealing with real ways to influence a situation that starts turning bad! 

This post was edited by asteldian at May 18, 2018 3:04 AM PDT
    • 735 posts
    August 30, 2018 8:43 PM PDT

Was Silent Arrow available in any of the streams? I would live to see it In action.

I really like this idea and would like to see all classes wit some form of aimed ability.

If each class had one critical to battle it would help alleviate the Botting problem wouldn't it?

• 3773 posts
    October 16, 2018 5:09 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Was Silent Arrow available in any of the streams? I would live to see it In action.

I really like this idea and would like to see all classes wit some form of aimed ability.

If each class had one critical to battle it would help alleviate the Botting problem wouldn't it?

Silent Arrow itself is technically in the game, but the skillshot aiming mechanic is not in yet. Currently its placeholder is just a longer casting time, but will eventually be replaced with the skillshot once they get it working. Can't wait to try it out myself and see how it feels! As much as my roots are in tab targeting combat, I also love a hint of action combat for those clutch moments, and I think this will be the perfect balance.

• 2036 posts
    October 17, 2018 11:40 AM PDT

I'd love to see something similar for some wizard "bolt" type spells, maybe their highest DPS one(s). 

• 1157 posts
    October 17, 2018 12:58 PM PDT

I hope that doesn't break the flow, or limited to "out of combat abilities".

If it breaks the combat flow, by making your PoV suddently change, I feat it might be more clunky and create camera dizzyness than anything else. The change should be "smooth" but fast enough not to make you feel like you "loose" your possibility of attacking with other skills.

If it's restrained to be an out of combat ability, for engage, it will be commonly used in short fights, soloing or pelt farming, but completely forgotten for long fights or group pulls.

I'm still curious to see their intent here, but I like to point risks in making it so.

• 12 posts
    October 27, 2018 12:03 AM PDT

I am surprised that so many people like this skill. I personally agree much more with MauvisOeil. In fact I actually listed quite a few things I could think of off the top of my head in the wizard reveal thread.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9070/pantheon-mmo-all-star-stream-august-2018-wizard-perspective

(someone misjudged what I disliked about the Ranger, so I listed my reasons).

Anyways. just regarding this skill I wrote the following.

Silent Arrow, if it stays as is, is supposed to be an opening attack, that is manually aimed. Probably great for /RPers but I view that as an efficiency decrease, others are firing and forgetting, but that is supposed to be manual. Additionally, attacks only used during the initial combat opening are just simply bad. Why would I want to open an encounter with my absolute strongest attack? This also means during a long encounter or multi encounter, you will only use the skill once. Also, let's not forget the extra damage outdoors which I read as nerfed when playing in the majority of worthwhile content.

I would genuinely like to know why people think this skill, or even class really, is actually good. I will at least agree that the class does seem fun, but the EQ 1 and 2 Rangers were also fun imo, but that did not help the class or its perception.

edit - board did not like my hyperlink try.

This post was edited by Merkades at October 27, 2018 12:05 AM PDT