Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Gathering idea

• 627 posts
    May 15, 2018 1:14 PM PDT
    So what if anyone at anytime could harvest any ore or pick any herb they stumble upon.

It has always been a pain of mine in an mmo, when I find a material inside I dungeon or untop of a mountain, but I don't have high enough skill lvl to gather it.

For me it would seem obvious that you would be able to gather these materials, atleast some part of it. If I bring the right tool.

You might ruin the herb or only get part of the minerals in the ore, but you will be able to gather some part of it still. When gathering your skill lvl will increase so next attempt, might yield a better result.

What would you all think of a system like this?
    Where gathering lvl only increase your chance to give better yield, and rare materiale, but anyone with the proper tool could harvest the resource.

For me this will be a good way to open up crafting and gathering to sooth the less hardcore crafters also.
    • 8 posts
    May 15, 2018 1:52 PM PDT

What we have been told so far is that anyone with the proper tool could harvest the resource. I don't know how I feel about being able to harvest anything and just get larger yields for having the proper lvl. I'm not a fan of making the filthy casual happy so I'm biased about that.

Maybe they could let you do that but then you would only harvest junk that would only sell for 1 copper to a vendor, did not stack, weighed a lot, and if you dropped it on the ground there could be a littering fine were an npc would come out of nowhere and force you to pay it or die.

• 17 posts
    May 15, 2018 9:06 PM PDT

hahahah littering fine !!  love it :)

• 1785 posts
    May 16, 2018 7:30 AM PDT

Given what's been said about node placement and scarcity, I think it would be ok to allow every player to learn every gathering skill.

They would still need to carry tools (and/or gear) for the gathering skills they wished to use.  Presumably, there would be a a progression in terms of difficulty.  That rusty iron pickaxe is not going to do anything on that adamantite node in front of you.

There would also likely be a skill progression.  Even if you have an adamantite pickaxe, if you don't know how to swing it properly, you're not going to get very much useful ore out of a node.

• 2886 posts
    May 16, 2018 7:56 AM PDT

Nephele said:

Given what's been said about node placement and scarcity, I think it would be ok to allow every player to learn every gathering skill.

They would still need to carry tools (and/or gear) for the gathering skills they wished to use.  Presumably, there would be a a progression in terms of difficulty.  That rusty iron pickaxe is not going to do anything on that adamantite node in front of you.

There would also likely be a skill progression.  Even if you have an adamantite pickaxe, if you don't know how to swing it properly, you're not going to get very much useful ore out of a node.

The plan is already to allow every player to use all harvesting skills: "Our line of thinking in terms of access to harvesting is that all players will be able utilize all of the available skills as they wish, provided they have an appropriate harvesting tool. All material types will already be coming from Salvaging and looting materials directly from NPCs, so limiting players’ access to individual skills felt arbitrary." (Source: http://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/crafting_and_harvesting/ ;)

The OP is suggesting that all nodes be harvestable regardless of skill level. One on hand, it kind of makes sense because in my interview with him, Ceythos mentioned wanting to avoid situations where you stumble upon a node, but are unable to harvest it, thus allowing players to use all harvesting skills.

On the other hand, progression and having something to work toward is an important part of any MMORPG. A decent compromise might be to make it so that your ability to harvest a particular node is gated only by the quality of your tools. As you mentioned a rusty iron pickaxe may not be able to even make a dent in adamantite. Then perhaps as the OP suggested, your skill level determines the amount of materials it yields, or I might even add the speed at which you harvest the node. There are many different ways to handle it. We will see!

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 16, 2018 8:00 AM PDT
    • 76 posts
    May 19, 2018 11:02 AM PDT

I for one would be interested in seeing everything being able to be “farmed” by anyone but only with the proper skill or tool. at the very least if your tool sucks you can get a lower quality of Said resource. As for the non-tool aspect perhaps forging items or the such could result in a higher probability of failure or a lower quality item. (Or both)

But IMHO I don’t see the problem with coming back later to the same resource If the requirements are not met.

You don’t want to make crafting so easy to the point where anyone can do everything with ease, would result in a pretty broken trade market. Or just make the majority Of the crafting of lower level items worthless