Forums » The Skar

Gear appearances...

    • 15 posts
    May 8, 2018 3:28 PM PDT

    I like the look of the Skar, but wonder with all the bony spikes and stuff, how they will appear in armor, if at all.

    • 15 posts
    May 26, 2018 11:25 AM PDT

    I just finished posting in the Ranger forums about how I'd like there to be more races for rangers... Looking at the Skar again I feel this goes right into the folder of dumbest looking races ever made in games. Imagine if you had holes all over your cheaks where you eat... and drink... Now imagine you had spikes going strait up out your shoulders, your head and other areas of your body... Hope you never kill yourself looking quickly to the left or right...

    Last is the fingernails. Put a gove on with 6 inch nailes and try and do, well try and do anything. 

     

    So yeah, the next question would be do they even wear armor, and if so... How?

    • 272 posts
    May 26, 2018 7:01 PM PDT

    Good thoughts and questions, both of you. Wish I'd seen the OP sooner.

    So the initial Skar design has all the problems you've noted -- and then some more. I posted on another thread recently that we had to scratch the backwards knees because that one anatomical feature by itself would've been a gear creation nightmare, requiring the Skar to have their own line of clothing AND design for every single pant and boot in the game. Add the spikes and claws to that mess as you've pointed out, and you've got a troubling design on your hands that honestly wasn't a proper treatment of the lore either. 

    So how did it happen and what have we done to address it?

    First: The How. When it came time to launch this current version of the website, along with the first official lore and art reveals, we gave ourselves some pretty stritct deadlines. For the most part we nailed them time-wise, but with varying degrees of success in regards to execution. The Skar would be one of those variances, and for me personally the most unsuccessful part of the launch. The bones there are solid (the metaphorical bones, not the ones coming through the skin), but there's a good amount of detail work that fell short of the full vision. You can see in the Shaman art a modest attempt to recalibrate the Skar, albeit with the problematic knees still present. At that time we were using an outside art studio -- who did a great job overall -- but we knew the Skar simply needed more time across the board to be correctly realized.

    Second: The Now. As you might have noticed all of the races have had new artwork done for them, with several undergoing varying degrees of redesign. The Skar have been the most fully revamped, and I am absolutely giddy with how they've taken shape. Forrest Imel is a tremendous artist and we are so fortunate to have him working on our project. The new Skar are right on point with the lore and I think will become the perfect counterpoint to the Archai as Pantheon-exclusive races. They have arrived, artistically speaking, while being a much more workable design technically.

    We always value your honesty, even if we don't ultimately make decisions you agree with, and here you guys accurately sussed out a problem. Kudos.

    • 15 posts
    May 26, 2018 11:12 PM PDT
    Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
    • 1075 posts
    May 27, 2018 4:12 AM PDT

    Now we just want to see more right now.... Great job Istuulamae !

    • 272 posts
    May 27, 2018 8:29 AM PDT

    Thank you all. I’ve done nothing, haha. 

    • 255 posts
    May 28, 2018 6:43 PM PDT

    Just curious - As mentioned before you guys have artwork designed in a way to identify relationships (races, regions, etc.). Does that artwork apply to the game's timeline? Will we (if we recognize it) be able to identify building designs or pieces of armor from a much earlier time?

    Edit: typo


    This post was edited by Retsof at May 28, 2018 6:45 PM PDT
    • 272 posts
    May 30, 2018 8:03 PM PDT

    Retsof said:

    Just curious - As mentioned before you guys have artwork designed in a way to identify relationships (races, regions, etc.). Does that artwork apply to the game's timeline? Will we (if we recognize it) be able to identify building designs or pieces of armor from a much earlier time?

    Edit: typo

    Building and environmental designs, yes. Armor pieces I think would be more difficult to identify due to their usage usually being divorced from the context of their age. Take a temple underneath a mountain for instance. Surrounded by water and overgrown with vines, guarded by cracked stone sentries -- looks abandoned, and possibly, ancient. It's probably one of the first conclusions you draw upon discovering it.

    Armor that is from an earlier age likely won't have the same tells. Rust, wear and so forth usually suggests low-level gear, not old age. But that isn't to say we won't have gear from earlier time periods of the planet, just that it likely won't be as obvious unless someone or something tells you it is. Until you learn the visual language that is.

    Great question!


    This post was edited by Istuulamae at May 30, 2018 8:03 PM PDT
    • 255 posts
    May 31, 2018 1:05 PM PDT

    Istuulamae said:

    Retsof said:

    Just curious - As mentioned before you guys have artwork designed in a way to identify relationships (races, regions, etc.). Does that artwork apply to the game's timeline? Will we (if we recognize it) be able to identify building designs or pieces of armor from a much earlier time?

    Edit: typo

    Building and environmental designs, yes. Armor pieces I think would be more difficult to identify due to their usage usually being divorced from the context of their age. Take a temple underneath a mountain for instance. Surrounded by water and overgrown with vines, guarded by cracked stone sentries -- looks abandoned, and possibly, ancient. It's probably one of the first conclusions you draw upon discovering it.

    Armor that is from an earlier age likely won't have the same tells. Rust, wear and so forth usually suggests low-level gear, not old age. But that isn't to say we won't have gear from earlier time periods of the planet, just that it likely won't be as obvious unless someone or something tells you it is. Until you learn the visual language that is.

    Great question!

    Ok, I'll admit I'm kinda excited about this. Looking forward to see this applied to expansions.

    • 177 posts
    July 13, 2018 3:39 PM PDT

    Istuulamae said:

    Good thoughts and questions, both of you. Wish I'd seen the OP sooner.

    So the initial Skar design has all the problems you've noted -- and then some more. I posted on another thread recently that we had to scratch the backwards knees because that one anatomical feature by itself would've been a gear creation nightmare, requiring the Skar to have their own line of clothing AND design for every single pant and boot in the game. Add the spikes and claws to that mess as you've pointed out, and you've got a troubling design on your hands that honestly wasn't a proper treatment of the lore either. 

    So how did it happen and what have we done to address it?

    First: The How. When it came time to launch this current version of the website, along with the first official lore and art reveals, we gave ourselves some pretty stritct deadlines. For the most part we nailed them time-wise, but with varying degrees of success in regards to execution. The Skar would be one of those variances, and for me personally the most unsuccessful part of the launch. The bones there are solid (the metaphorical bones, not the ones coming through the skin), but there's a good amount of detail work that fell short of the full vision. You can see in the Shaman art a modest attempt to recalibrate the Skar, albeit with the problematic knees still present. At that time we were using an outside art studio -- who did a great job overall -- but we knew the Skar simply needed more time across the board to be correctly realized.

    Second: The Now. As you might have noticed all of the races have had new artwork done for them, with several undergoing varying degrees of redesign. The Skar have been the most fully revamped, and I am absolutely giddy with how they've taken shape. Forrest Imel is a tremendous artist and we are so fortunate to have him working on our project. The new Skar are right on point with the lore and I think will become the perfect counterpoint to the Archai as Pantheon-exclusive races. They have arrived, artistically speaking, while being a much more workable design technically.

    We always value your honesty, even if we don't ultimately make decisions you agree with, and here you guys accurately sussed out a problem. Kudos.

     

    Awesome post. Thank you for sharing with us! 

    • 62 posts
    July 18, 2018 1:40 AM PDT

    Awe man, I really liked the legs and bone spikes =/. I would have settled for walking around in a tasset. I hope they're not just ugly coal-colored Humans.

    • 229 posts
    August 5, 2018 4:44 PM PDT
    Very much looking forward to seeing the New Skar.
    • 691 posts
    August 6, 2018 2:58 PM PDT

    Istuulamae said:

    You can see in the Shaman art a modest attempt to recalibrate the Skar, albeit with the problematic knees still present. At that time we were using an outside art studio -- who did a great job overall -- but we knew the Skar simply needed more time across the board to be correctly realized.

     

    Can you elaborate what you mean by the "Shaman art"?  The shaman class section features an Archai so I'm not sure where I should be looking.

     

    Istuulamae said:

    As you might have noticed all of the races have had new artwork done for them, with several undergoing varying degrees of redesign.

     

    Again, where might we see this?  Are you referring to the recent class reveals which each feature a portrait? 

    Thanks!

    • 229 posts
    August 6, 2018 8:15 PM PDT

    Apparently they're* "coming soon (TM)". I asked Aradune about it on FB

     

    * Atleast Skar since that's what I asked about due to this post.   I'm personally figuring there will be a string of race reveals in the upcoming newsletters since classes will be finished this Wednesday.


    This post was edited by Xilshale at August 6, 2018 8:17 PM PDT
    • 62 posts
    August 6, 2018 11:56 PM PDT

    Nikademis said:

    Again, where might we see this?  Are you referring to the recent class reveals which each feature a portrait? 

    Thanks!

    It's found here http://www.pantheonmmo.com/images/shaman_sm.jpg, Or also the thread titled Skar shaman, in The Skar topic.

    • 3728 posts
    August 7, 2018 3:29 AM PDT

    SilkyWhip said:

    Nikademis said:

    Again, where might we see this?  Are you referring to the recent class reveals which each feature a portrait? 

    Thanks!

    It's found here http://www.pantheonmmo.com/images/shaman_sm.jpg, Or also the thread titled Skar shaman, in The Skar topic.

    Even that is actually pretty outdated at this point. The new artwork is in fact being shown in the class reveals. But we still haven't seen the Gnome or the Skar yet. Although I suspect that they are already done internally and it's just a matter of time till we see. If I had to guess, we'll see at least one Gnome in the caster reveals and then the Skar will be their own reveal since they've had the most significant makeover.

    • 691 posts
    August 7, 2018 10:21 AM PDT

    Bazgrim said:

    SilkyWhip said:

    Nikademis said:

    Again, where might we see this?  Are you referring to the recent class reveals which each feature a portrait? 

    Thanks!

    It's found here http://www.pantheonmmo.com/images/shaman_sm.jpg, Or also the thread titled Skar shaman, in The Skar topic.

    Even that is actually pretty outdated at this point. The new artwork is in fact being shown in the class reveals. But we still haven't seen the Gnome or the Skar yet. Although I suspect that they are already done internally and it's just a matter of time till we see. If I had to guess, we'll see at least one Gnome in the caster reveals and then the Skar will be their own reveal since they've had the most significant makeover.

    Yea, I had hoped the cited image is not what Justin was referring to as it's from the first Shaman class reveal over two years ago.  Nevertheless, I'm sure we will see something soon - though, unless I'm mistaken, Skar cannot play any of the remaining unrevealed caster classes (save Necromancer) so perhaps we won't actually see the Skar in this round of reveals?  I guess we'll see.

    • 3728 posts
    August 7, 2018 10:57 AM PDT

    Nikademis said:

    Bazgrim said:

    SilkyWhip said:

    Nikademis said:

    Again, where might we see this?  Are you referring to the recent class reveals which each feature a portrait? 

    Thanks!

    It's found here http://www.pantheonmmo.com/images/shaman_sm.jpg, Or also the thread titled Skar shaman, in The Skar topic.

    Even that is actually pretty outdated at this point. The new artwork is in fact being shown in the class reveals. But we still haven't seen the Gnome or the Skar yet. Although I suspect that they are already done internally and it's just a matter of time till we see. If I had to guess, we'll see at least one Gnome in the caster reveals and then the Skar will be their own reveal since they've had the most significant makeover.

    Yea, I had hoped the cited image is not what Justin was referring to as it's from the first Shaman class reveal over two years ago.  Nevertheless, I'm sure we will see something soon - though, unless I'm mistaken, Skar cannot play any of the remaining unrevealed caster classes (save Necromancer) so perhaps we won't actually see the Skar in this round of reveals?  I guess we'll see.

    That's correct. That's why I suspect that in one of these upcoming newsletters, we'll see a whole section dedicated to revealing the Skar makeover, totally separate from the class reveals.


    This post was edited by Bazgrim at August 7, 2018 10:57 AM PDT
    • 1078 posts
    August 8, 2018 11:11 AM PDT

    The Skar have really grown on me in the last couple of months, mostly because my plan is to run both a Shaman and a Direlord as a 2-box duo and only the Human, Ogre and Skar have both options.  Clearly the Human is out because, well, Humans are boring.  I'm growing concerned about the size of the Ogre after watching the various Twitch streams so the Skar is quickly taking over my #1 spot for choice of race.  In the end it will come down to stats though, oh, and if we ever find out of Shrink is a spell Shaman get.

    • 62 posts
    August 8, 2018 6:45 PM PDT

    Vandraad said:

    The Skar have really grown on me in the last couple of months, mostly because my plan is to run both a Shaman and a Direlord as a 2-box duo and only the Human, Ogre and Skar have both options.  Clearly the Human is out because, well, Humans are boring.  I'm growing concerned about the size of the Ogre after watching the various Twitch streams so the Skar is quickly taking over my #1 spot for choice of race.  In the end it will come down to stats though, oh, and if we ever find out of Shrink is a spell Shaman get.

    Me too man, Humans suck and not really a fan of ogre. I'm gonna test out how the warrior / direlord feels in alpha and pick a favorite, while testing how viable boxing is.

    • 5 posts
    August 20, 2018 5:09 PM PDT

    Maybe a fix is to scratch the idea of the scar with clothing or armor?   Being that they are the most primal of the races or animalistic they have the ability to adapt.   perhaps based on class and level their bodies would change.  as a tank they will get bigger spikes or more plating naturally.  As a caster maybe they can be a little softer or still have spikes but in certain locations to still look awesome without being feminine. Perhaps they can have the ability to pick changes to give bonuses thus changing the look or color since they dont get to pick certain gear.  Or the gear doesnt show up on the body but makes a change to their structure. or gear still gives stats but with the natural changes based on class and level.  Just a thought.  

    Same could go for spikes on hands and feet. they could change if they are a melle attacker or caster.

    • 1078 posts
    August 23, 2018 10:19 AM PDT

    Napalmangel said:

    Maybe a fix is to scratch the idea of the scar with clothing or armor?   Being that they are the most primal of the races or animalistic they have the ability to adapt.   perhaps based on class and level their bodies would change.  as a tank they will get bigger spikes or more plating naturally.  As a caster maybe they can be a little softer or still have spikes but in certain locations to still look awesome without being feminine. Perhaps they can have the ability to pick changes to give bonuses thus changing the look or color since they dont get to pick certain gear.  Or the gear doesnt show up on the body but makes a change to their structure. or gear still gives stats but with the natural changes based on class and level.  Just a thought.  

    Same could go for spikes on hands and feet. they could change if they are a melle attacker or caster.

    One ancillary benefit to gear being visible is that it is a means by which to keep other players interested in the game.  Seeing wearing armor and wielding weapons which you've never seen before creates incentives to go out and earn those things yourself.

    I'd just prefer they have the model reworked so that gear is visible but has a more 'Skar culture' look to it.  Such a look might be a more spikey and primitive look of sharp creases, hard angles and maybe runic carvings or the incorporation of animal bones/skulls.

    • 93 posts
    August 24, 2018 7:16 PM PDT
    I have been thinking about the Skar a lot recently, and the dogleg / backward knees messing with gear models.

    I really am looking forward to seeing what you guys ended up doing with the Skar. I love the lore, but the character models are going to make or break for me.

    Gimme. Gimme. Gimme.
    • 315 posts
    September 2, 2018 4:15 AM PDT
    Could a mod please go ahead and change this thread's title to "Aggearances"?