Forums » The Humans

Various Human Starting Cities for Various Human Cultures

• 29 posts
    April 30, 2018 6:42 AM PDT

Multi-ethnicity and race (as a general concept) comes from more than bio-physical racial phenotypes (though that is explicitly important too). 

One of the great things about Vanguard, and indeed EverQuest 1 (and 2), was the cultural and geographic distribution of human kind.

I loved, loved, loved having more than one human city in EQ. Having Freeport, Qeynos, Erudin, and Halas to choose from was amazing, and really made the various human factions feel real. Yes, I know Erudites and Barbarians were mechanically different "races", but they were still of the same species and from a multi-cultural point of view it made the game feel so much more real and alive. What underscored this was the different cultural regions and their associated cultural aesthetics; by this I mean more than the physical racial dynamics of a character model. In EQ and Vanguard humans had different cultures, with different art, music, religion, politics and bio-geographic adaption in general. This level of specific nuance, was paramount in bringing the world to life. 

I hope Pantheon can find a way to have several distinct human cultures, in several different distinct geographic locations

The memory of running (un-assisted) from Qeynos to Freeport is in my top 5 gaming memories. 

Freeport to Qeynos:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFQndSFNGY

Qeynos to Freeport:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SVBSAGgy4Q

- POST EDIT - I just noted on the map, a number of what look like human settlements, so my hopes are high! 

This post was edited by Finbar at April 30, 2018 11:52 AM PDT
    • 1069 posts
    April 30, 2018 12:30 PM PDT

Agreeing, I loved this concept of multiple starting areas, half elves had good choices too due to their hybrid nature. However it doesn't seem to be the case on Terminus, and humans that are not directly tied to thronefast realm seems to be outcasts at most. Nobles fed with boreness who plunged into dark arts for a hobby, turned into wraith. Rogues to the justice that fled the city to invest an old hold in the wilds. Nothing seems to favor a "second human city", especially as the original thronefast has been destroyed to the ground by Ossa and every stone thrown into the sea.

Edit : as much, the ogre clans could have different villages or forts, as their empire collapsed and they probably returned to their quarrels.

This post was edited by MauvaisOeil at April 30, 2018 12:31 PM PDT
    • 36 posts
    June 3, 2018 8:02 PM PDT
    For some reason I completely missed this this thread. Sorry, Finbar. :P While I agree with Mauvais in that I doubt we will have a second start city or area, I'm still hopeful for various distinct human cultures. Though, I kinda think that we may see human variations played out more via factions than anything.
    • 29 posts
    June 5, 2018 8:09 AM PDT

All good Aanwenae. 

Faction is a whole other ball of worms, to be handled elsewhere. But I will say, it would be ideal if the various technical factions were identified with specific sub cultures, or even special interest groups. It will be interesting to see how they break down the factions. 

• 1978 posts
    June 5, 2018 4:41 PM PDT

I imagine there is a single human culture in this game as they started as just a frail colony transported from their home world and grew as a race together, so their history and all facets of their society are a single shared culture. Factions though, there are surely plenty of those. 

• 270 posts
    September 20, 2018 8:00 AM PDT

If there are not multiple starting cities I at least hope that the character customization (especially for humans) is detailed enough to be able to emulate the different ethnicities similar to the Barbarian and Eurdite with obviously other blends of cultures too.  I feel that this could be easily accomplished with today's technology by simply having variances of height/weight/skin tone and numerous preset hair styles.  Perhaps having additional areas (not necassarily starting cities) of different human cultures would be easy to add.  Going along with what Iksar said, if the humans were transplanted on Terminus they likely would have had a single point of origin and then possibly set off to create diffferent colonies/towns/etc.