Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

This is the end, folks

• 769 posts
    April 23, 2018 2:58 PM PDT

Let the countdown begin. Watch the ball drop. The end draws near. Today marks the day .....

Of my first day without a cigarette. Sweet Mary Josephine help me. I can't stop moving. Need to go outside and do some jumping jacks. And what makes it worse? I can't even go have a beer. I like smoking when I drink, so now I can't drink. I need some words of encouragement, my nerd pals. Prop me up with your stirring speeches of victory and overcoming obstacles. 

Or give me a friggin' cigarette. Either/or. 

• 257 posts
    April 23, 2018 3:11 PM PDT

Good luck! Hope you don't mind packing on some weight because the snack train is coming.

• 769 posts
    April 23, 2018 3:25 PM PDT

Retsof said:

Good luck! Hope you don't mind packing on some weight because the snack train is coming.

I JUST left the office to go buy a giant a$$ bag of trail mix and jolly ranchers. 

I'M FREAKING OUT MAN!

• 316 posts
    April 23, 2018 4:22 PM PDT

YOU CAN DO IT!

• 22 posts
    April 23, 2018 4:39 PM PDT

I quit *smoking* two years ago, a friend gave me a iStick vape, and at first the vape was like smoking nothing, but i gritted my teeth and stuck with it for a couple of days, every so often out of habit i found myself reading some news article on the net and reaching for my cigarettes, but i managed to catch myself and put them down everytime, and ended up using the vape when it got really bad. Now i've been without for two years and once you get used to taking deep breaths again and not coughing for twenty minutes every morning, it's really worth it. So stick with it, don't give up, and in a few days you can take a deep breath again without hurting, that's worth it.

• 2886 posts
    April 23, 2018 7:39 PM PDT

Congrats! Stay focused on the end goal :)

• 595 posts
    April 23, 2018 8:02 PM PDT

Hell yea man, kick it's a$$ \m/

• 257 posts
    April 24, 2018 3:52 AM PDT

Don't forget, the money you save you can put aside to splurge on yourself. There's one positive thing you can think about. Plenty of toys out there to help encourage you to not smoke "just one more day."

• 3852 posts
    April 24, 2018 7:26 AM PDT

Cigarettes are definitely buggy. The proof being that a patch is out for them.

• 248 posts
    April 24, 2018 8:14 AM PDT

Hang in there! :D

-sorte.

• 2138 posts
    April 24, 2018 9:49 AM PDT

Please note I used to smoke- I had a good habit maybe 1-1.5 packs a day.

Its not easy and "they" say if you can make it 3 days you can overcome the nicotine addiction, and then another 3-4 weeks to eliminate the associated addictions like nicotine and beer. Mine was coffee, cigarettes and coffee. 

I used to listen to a radio shock-jock that was anti-smoking. He said that people who smoke take a gamble with their health thinking that they wont suffer any repercussions, like the same odds for not getting sick are the same as hitting the lottery.

*light-bulb moment for me*

So when I quit some years ago- I used the money I would normally use on cigarrettes and played the lottery instead! I mean the odds are the same either way, yeah? but the windfall on one side is better than the other, at least this is how I justify it to myself. I found I was spending less on lottery than on cigarrettes. Yes, the odds are atrocious but I don't overdo it but I found it harmless fun and its a reminder of potential hope. Or take the extra money that you will have and put it in a no load mutual fund- heh I actualy did the math and I am doing that with the other 3/4 of the money I used to spend on cigarrettes. its not much- but its growing! plus if I win anything I put it in the mutual fund. 

• 769 posts
    April 24, 2018 10:08 AM PDT

@Retsof - Man, that's what did it. The money. I did the math the day before. $200.00 a month on cigarettes alone, but then I'd stop for coffee every morning (can't have the morning-drive-to-work without a cigarette, and can't have a morning cigarette without coffee) and a Red Bull every day after work when picking up the pack. Another $120.00 a month right there. So quitting smoking saves me over $300.00 a month. That's nuts! Frankly, I don't care so much about the health thing - don't tell the girlfriend that - as much as the money thing. 

@Manouk - That's not a bad idea. Never really played the lottery before. Couldn't hurt to get a scratch off every week as a reward or something. 

Today is day 2. I've smoked since I was 18, about 16 years, and the longest I've ever gone without smoking is 2 weeks. If I can hit that month mark, I MIGHT consider myself an official non-smoker. That's the goal right now. Lots of nicorrette gum and jolly ranchers. 

There isn't a single person in the world that I don't hate right now. 

• 257 posts
    April 24, 2018 10:58 AM PDT

lol man, I feel for ya. It's those little everyday habits. Shaking up your routine must be hard. Well worth the hell you're going through, but still hard. Stay positive!

• 98 posts
    April 24, 2018 4:57 PM PDT

I smoked for 20 years (started way too young) and I want you to know that if you stick with it, you really will get to the point where you don't have any cravings at all, and will likely even be kind of disgusted by the second-hand smoke if someone's smoking around you.  It sucks for a while, but once you're done, it's pretty easy to stay done.

Good luck!

• 752 posts
    April 25, 2018 12:21 PM PDT

Go get some Chantix. That stuff works. You won't even be able to think of cig's after feeling the nausea associated with smoking while on this.

• 769 posts
    April 26, 2018 9:39 AM PDT

Day 4. 

Hate everybody. 

• 257 posts
    April 26, 2018 10:16 AM PDT

Thus, Thanos was born.

• 2138 posts
    April 26, 2018 11:00 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

@Manouk - That's not a bad idea. Never really played the lottery before. Couldn't hurt to get a scratch off every week as a reward or something. 

Yes that's it! nothing crazy just a little something of hope.

Day 4! WOOT! so, nicotine craving is done with, its only the associated cravings to watch out for. They say cold turkey is the best, I know some that are vaping but I've noticed they tend to vape alot.

As if smoking regular cigarrettes had a hurt to them (throat, lungs) that would have me consiously say I have to stop smoking for a bit- where vaping does not.

• 769 posts
    April 27, 2018 2:23 PM PDT

Day 5. Full business week. 

Developments: Not quite as wiggly anymore. Can sit still without stomping my feet and feeling jittery, but drinking MUCH more coffee. Already drank a lot of coffee (5-6 cups a day), but has increased considerably. Getting weird headaches near the end of the work day from too much caffeine. Need to drink more water. Coffee makes the nicotine gum bearable. Crap tastes like an ashtray. 

Clothes no longer smell like cigarettes. Kinda miss it. 

Everyone still sucks. 

• 257 posts
    April 27, 2018 5:40 PM PDT

Wives/Girlfriends can be a great way to keep your mind occupied on ... other things.

• 769 posts
    April 30, 2018 3:19 PM PDT

Day 8. Weirdest day. Been feeling kinda "funny" all day. It's a tightness in my chest. It's like that feeling you get in your chest when you feel like you're about to cry, except it's constant. 

Googled it, like an idiot. Looks like it's anxiety. I scoffed at that. I don't get anxiety! I've never had anxiety! But google also says anxiety can come from nicotine withdrawal. It's a really weird feeling, I don't like it. 

• 316 posts
    April 30, 2018 11:35 PM PDT
    YOU'RE DOING IT!

Btw, never had anxiety O_O? /bow
    • 769 posts
    May 2, 2018 11:38 AM PDT

Alexander said: YOU'RE DOING IT! Btw, never had anxiety O_O? /bow

It's just never something I ever had to deal with. Stress, anxiety, etc. At least not in such a way that I felt actual physical symptoms as a result. When friends/dates/family members have always talked about their anxiety attacks and stress headaches, I never comprehended it. The thought in my head would be, "Well, why don't you just calm the hell down?"

Nothing like some first hand experience to gain a little empathy. 

Feeling better today. Still have a little bit of pressure in my chest, but it doesn't happen until the end of the day now when work is winding down and I need to actively look for things to fill my time. 

Side note: I decided to take a look at the nicotine content of a cigarette, which is something I never thought to do. 

One Marlboro Red (what I smoked) contains roughly 14mg of nicotine. One piece of the gum I've been chewing contains only 2mg of nicotine. I chew about ten pieces of gum a day, so about 20mg of nicotine in a 24 hour period. When I smoked, I smoked a pack and a half a day. 

That's 420mg of nicotine a day down to .... 20. 

I never really thought that nicotine withdrawal symptons would have an actual physical affect. Now I know better. 

Day 10. Still hate everybody. 

This post was edited by Tralyan at May 2, 2018 11:39 AM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    May 2, 2018 11:44 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

Let the countdown begin. Watch the ball drop. The end draws near. Today marks the day .....

Of my first day without a cigarette. Sweet Mary Josephine help me. I can't stop moving. Need to go outside and do some jumping jacks. And what makes it worse? I can't even go have a beer. I like smoking when I drink, so now I can't drink. I need some words of encouragement, my nerd pals. Prop me up with your stirring speeches of victory and overcoming obstacles. 

Or give me a friggin' cigarette. Either/or. 

I hear you..I quit cold turkey...drank LOTS of water..water every time that little voice in my head yelled cigarette,   chewed alot of minty gum...lasted 4 years.  heh   At that time it was a pack and a half a day...expensive habit.       Started again about a year and a half ago,  but never more than about ten or twelve cigarettes.     I support your efforts,  go for a walk,  drink water, not coffee..no caffeine it makes it worse,  chew gum.     Its hard at first,  but its all about will power.       I am going to quit again..very soon. :)  This time for good I hope. :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    May 2, 2018 11:45 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Cigarettes are definitely buggy. The proof being that a patch is out for them.

I can't use the patch..I have an allergy to them.