Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Note Taking/Reference Tool

• 1281 posts
    April 19, 2018 1:59 PM PDT

I currently use Microsoft OneNote 2013 to take all of my notes, make refrence annotations, etc.  I've been using OneNote since 2003.  It's super handy, comees with Office, which I already have, and is great for throwing in images and making annotations.

However.....

Microsoft Office 2016 will be the last version of Office with OneNote built-in.  They're forcing everyone to transition over to OneNote for Windows 10.  Spunds like a good thing right?  Even comes with the OS.  Well, except it's not.  While you can still save your workbooks locally, you are required to have a Microsoft login in order to open it.  If I wanted to have to log into an Internet app provider to use apps that I have on my system, I would have bought a damn Chromebook and/or used something like EverNote.

With the above being said, does anyone know an LOCAL APPLICATION BASED replacement for Microsoft OneNote?  Please don't  waste my time with "cloud based" solutions like EverNote.

Thank you.

• 633 posts
    April 19, 2018 3:21 PM PDT

You could just continue using that version of OneNote that you have.  It will likely run on Windows for years so it shouldn't be too much of a worry.

• 1281 posts
    April 19, 2018 3:32 PM PDT

kelenin said:

You could just continue using that version of OneNote that you have.  It will likely run on Windows for years so it shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Yes...  I am aware of that.  I'm IT.  I know it "will run".  My problem is that they will eventually stop updating it, INCLUDING security updates, which are very important.

• 633 posts
    April 19, 2018 3:39 PM PDT

Well, they'll continue updating it for 2 years, and they won't stop issueing security updates to it until 2025, so you have about 7 years before that happens.  :)

Otherwise I'm sorry I couldn't recommend something.  I've used OneNote for years now and when it moved to using a Microsoft account I linked it up so I can access it on my phone as well (which is where I primarily use it now).