Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Selling Naming Rights

• 3852 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:40 PM PDT

Beloved spouse was looking at some strategy/space  games under development - silly creature has bad taste in games - and noted that it is not uncommon for them to raise money by letting people pledging certain amounts name game features such as stars or moons or planets. 

I didn't see anything in a search relating to this topic - has VR considered letting people suggest names for NPCs, buildings, features of the environment or even cities? For a certain renumeration if the suggestion is accepted.

I use the term "suggest" very deliberately - no name should be adopted for payment or otherwise unless it fits the lore and is appropriate. 

All of these NPCs need names anyway and if someone wants to offer good money to name a hunter trainer Leora Lionbane for example it may be as good a name as a developer would have come up with.

I am not suggesting this - in fact I don't really like the idea - just curious since it seems a not uncommon practice in at least one different genre.

• 2752 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:56 PM PDT

Boaty McBoatface. This is how you get Boaty McBoatface.

• 613 posts
    April 18, 2018 5:09 PM PDT

or worse....  I wont go any farther...

Ox

This post was edited by Oxillion at April 18, 2018 5:32 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    April 18, 2018 5:31 PM PDT

From the original pledge matrix, they already included some naming options.  I have no idea if those will be honored or not?

• 1404 posts
    April 18, 2018 5:57 PM PDT

vjek said:

From the original pledge matrix, they already included some naming options.  I have no idea if those will be honored or not?

Of course they'll be honored. Brad has made that clear numerous times.

• 2886 posts
    April 19, 2018 2:43 AM PDT

vjek said:

Yes they'll be honored. Pledging would be the only way to name something like this. And my guess is they'll be pretty insignificant NPCs. Either way, this sort of thing won't be too common and will be moderated in order to preserve the lore of the world.

• 2756 posts
    April 19, 2018 2:57 AM PDT

Iksar said:

Yeah. I don't really want ServeyMcServerface.

• 39 posts
    April 19, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

Iksar said:

LMAO

• 11 posts
    April 19, 2018 10:39 AM PDT

Why not be able to have Surnames that way theres not that much constrains and worring about names.

• 39 posts
    April 19, 2018 1:42 PM PDT

Warlunhardt said:

Why not be able to have Surnames that way theres not that much constrains and worring about names.

To a large degree i think this is the way to go. However, i dont think people should be able to run around with the same name. It just creates issues in general. I also do not think name changing should really be offered either

• 769 posts
    April 20, 2018 10:16 AM PDT

Iksar said:

Isn't there a story out there about the UK building a new surveying ship and, in the spirit of democracy, asking the general population to vote on a new name? The top contender was Boaty McBoatface, I think. 

Regretting their decision, the government decided to name the ship something else, but due to a petition from angry voters, the folded. An unmanned research ship connected to the original was officially dubbed, Boaty McBoatface, and the masses were appeased. 

Side note: I think it's a pretty neat idea, as long as the choices DO fit with the lore. Give us a list of NPC's that we can pay to name ourselves and begin a bidding war out of the list of "acceptable" and lore appropriate names. 

• 793 posts
    April 20, 2018 11:06 AM PDT

I would have paid a king's ransom to name a hobbit in LOTRO "Lorainna Hobbit"