Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Are we going to be able hide Armor pieces

• 11 posts
    April 18, 2018 3:06 PM PDT

Like in GW2 or SWTOR

• 483 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:18 PM PDT

I sure hope not, it never made any sense to me why specific parts of the gear could be hidden.

I could se an option where helms could be hidden when not in combat, but as soon as you enter combat they would be visible again.

• 3237 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:21 PM PDT

I hope we have the option to prevent players from being able to /inspect our gear but other than that, I do believe there is a plan to utilize some sort of appearance gear toggle that might hide what you're wearing to some degree ... but it would need to be replaced with something else.  I'm pretty sure players will have the option to disable this feature so that they can always see the original graphics of whatever gear people are wearing.

• 3852 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:29 PM PDT

I must differ from the opinion of jpedrote.

Particularly with helmet or cloaks that cover the head I *often* prefer the looks I spent an hour or more customizing during character creation to seeing a high statistic low beauty piece of gear.

This post was edited by dorotea at April 18, 2018 4:29 PM PDT
    • 769 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:32 PM PDT

dorotea said:

I must differ from the opinion of jpedrote.

Particularly with helmet or cloaks that cover the head I *often* prefer the looks I spent an hour or more customizing during character creation to seeing a high statistic low beauty piece of gear.

I'm torn. On one hand, I agree with you here. 

On the other, that feeling when you FINALLY get a helmet that doesn't make you look ridiculous? That's a darn good feeling. Takes a little something away when you can just /hide a helmet that looks silly. 

I'd be fine either way, really. 

• 613 posts
    April 18, 2018 4:46 PM PDT

Tough question really. The mechanic is simple enough, but does it break the game feel in a way.  I may be thinking to critical there, but I have played those game the OP listed and many that do that.  The reason I ran without showing some gear is because it looked bad.  When I had great looking or at least not looking like I just got back from a cave run wearing burlap. 

Still I think that mechanic will be in the game. 

Ox

• 523 posts
    April 18, 2018 6:10 PM PDT

I want to see the natural gear another player has acquired.  Whatever that mishmash look is, I want to see it.  Just have the toggle effect the player themselves, so they can look how they want, but everyone else gets to see the gear they are packing.  

• 2756 posts
    April 19, 2018 2:25 AM PDT

I'm torn like Tralyan.

I hated HATED getting a new piece of armor in EQ (and other games with much better graphics) that was a great upgrade, but made me look ridiculous or over-the-top or just unpleasant subjectively.

LotRO had a good system originally, where you could retain the look of something you had equipped by consuming it (it would always then be available to you as an 'override').

On the other hand it is cool to drool over others' groovy pieces and ask them about it.

Personally, if someone is overriding the look of an item, it's because they don't like the look of it and don't particularly want people to see or ask about it.

People suggesting a switch so you can see what people are really wearing are totally missing the point, sorry.  If I care what I look like it's mostly what other people see that I care about, not what I look like to myself.

The only reason you would need a switch is for PvP so people can't 'disguise' their uberness. Maybe PvP servers should have a switch.

For everyone else, I really hope there is a way to override the look of all slots.  Basically, in 'real life' if I had a set of magic armor that I was embarassed by the look of, I would wear a big cloak to conceal it when I could, or I would scuff and dirty it and wrap it.  I'm really doubting *that* will be an option, so overriding is the answer.

• 2886 posts
    April 19, 2018 2:46 AM PDT

Mathir said:

I want to see the natural gear another player has acquired.  Whatever that mishmash look is, I want to see it.  Just have the toggle effect the player themselves, so they can look how they want, but everyone else gets to see the gear they are packing.  

Fortunately, this is the direction they're currently heading.

Here's some threads on this topic:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7984/cosmetic-gear-idea

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5773/why-cosmetic-gear-more-harm-than-good

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/8139/armor-appearance-cosmetics

• 2756 posts
    April 19, 2018 2:53 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Mathir said:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5773/why-cosmetic-gear-more-harm-than-good

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/8139/armor-appearance-cosmetics

It's not going to be as weird as it was in Everquest, let's face it. Even Brad's green plate in Pre-Alpha he's admitted is for nostalgia's sake.  I really doubt there will be much in the final game that is that unsubtle... at least I hope...

There's "fantasy" and then there's "oh my god you look like a metal cucumber".

This post was edited by disposalist at April 19, 2018 2:54 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    April 19, 2018 3:24 AM PDT

disposalist said:

Bazgrim said:

Mathir said:

It's not going to be as weird as it was in Everquest, let's face it. Even Brad's green plate in Pre-Alpha he's admitted is for nostalgia's sake.  I really doubt there will be much in the final game that is that unsubtle... at least I hope...

I agree the armor we've seen so far looks pretty sweet. But there will still be plenty of people that even if the individual pieces look fine, they'll still want to try to hide them if they don't match the rest of their set, just for the sake of looking uniform :P

• 2756 posts
    April 19, 2018 3:44 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

disposalist said:

Bazgrim said:

Mathir said:

I agree the armor we've seen so far looks pretty sweet. But there will still be plenty of people that even if the individual pieces look fine, they'll still want to try to hide them if they don't match the rest of their set, just for the sake of looking uniform :P

That'll be me.  I'm the kinda guy that likes to buy vehicles in matt black and de-badge them. You won't know I've got anything interesting until I burn you off when the lights go green ;^)

It's not a bad example either, imagine I have my subtle machine but the latest upgrade is a glitter-covered, neon-lit blower that sticks out of the hood 2 feet...  Yeah, I'd want to hide it...

• 3852 posts
    April 19, 2018 7:00 AM PDT

To clarify. I don't care how I look to others - I never even thought about that. 

I spend a lot of time looking mostly at my character's back and the back of the head. I wanted the ability not to look at a headpiece or claok that may have had good statistics but was not aesthetically pleasing.

So if I can't change how others see me that is perfectly fine.

• 1618 posts
    April 19, 2018 10:20 AM PDT
    I am all for BOTH cosmetic gear AND an /inspect option.

I want to look the way I like. I am the one that has to stare at my toon all day long. However, I don't feel the need to force it on anyone. So, all for an individual toggle option to see or not see appearance gear.

I also want to be able to see what gear someone is actually wearing. VR has repeatedly stated that they want equipment to matter. We should be able to see the gear someone has and be in awe. Looking at a better performer's gear and set up is a great way to learn what is out there and hiw it can be done better.

Also, as a raid leader, I would want to be able to check out my teams gear to make sure they are keeping up and not forgetting to remove their tradeskill gear before raiding.
    • 39 posts
    April 19, 2018 10:30 AM PDT

I really dont understand why people are so hostile to people inspecting them. It's one of the least intrusive things around as far as online games go. It just boggles my mind that at least 4 people say the same thing every time the discussion of armor comes up. Other than on PVP why the heck do you care

• 11 posts
    April 19, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

Yeah, like lets say to toggle on and off every piece of armor and a Cash Shop but of Cosmetic Gear, Decors for House, Homes (like in ESO), and anything that aint P2W like BDO would be good as well that way they can get another flow of cash. Not just be dependant of Subscription or number of players

• 1479 posts
    April 19, 2018 11:39 AM PDT

Warlunhardt said:

Yeah, like lets say to toggle on and off every piece of armor and a Cash Shop but of Cosmetic Gear, Decors for House, Homes (like in ESO), and anything that aint P2W like BDO would be good as well that way they can get another flow of cash. Not just be dependant of Subscription or number of players

I really think you should read http://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/pantheon_difference/ , it's full of information you could have answers quickly and give you a better vision of the game beeing shaped here.

• 4 posts
    April 19, 2018 1:04 PM PDT
    I'm not sure on everyone's reasoning, but I've always felt like inspection really opens the door to people micromanaging other people and how they play their characters.

It all comes down to the community, really. In a helpful, friendly community, it's no big deal. Someone inspects you, helpfully points out you're wearing your crafting gear. No harm, no foul, everyone laughs and moves on.

In the majority of the quite frankly toxic, exclusionary gaming communities that exist now, gear inspection is the gatekeeper. Your group doesn't like your gear because it's not best in slot? You get booted before the loading screen finishes loading you into the instance. Gear score has been HELL for a lot of gamers. Not only do you need a minimum to get into most instances, but a lot of players will set an arbitrary minimum oftheir own. You don't meet it when you load in? Booted, again, without even a chance to prove that you can play your class without the expensive gear they're telling you that you need to have.
    • 39 posts
    April 19, 2018 1:35 PM PDT

I dont usually say this about issues online but when it comes to people trying to micromanage you because of your gear..... IGNORE IT

• 4 posts
    April 19, 2018 2:39 PM PDT
    I honestly don't see it being an issue with Panthron, just because of the kind of game they're building it to be.
    • 3237 posts
    April 19, 2018 2:55 PM PDT

Beefcake said: I am all for BOTH cosmetic gear AND an /inspect option. I want to look the way I like. I am the one that has to stare at my toon all day long. However, I don't feel the need to force it on anyone. So, all for an individual toggle option to see or not see appearance gear. I also want to be able to see what gear someone is actually wearing. VR has repeatedly stated that they want equipment to matter. We should be able to see the gear someone has and be in awe. Looking at a better performer's gear and set up is a great way to learn what is out there and hiw it can be done better. Also, as a raid leader, I would want to be able to check out my teams gear to make sure they are keeping up and not forgetting to remove their tradeskill gear before raiding.

I disagree with your stance on the /inspect feature.  Players should have the option to prevent other people from inspecting them.  If you're in a raiding guild that requires you to make this information accessible, so be it, you have a choice to oblige.  And while gear is supposed to matter in this game, it's also supposed to be challenging.  I don't want people to be able to inspect my gear and see whatever combination of situational gear I am using for a specific fight.  They should figure that stuff out on their own.  I think giving players the option to allow inspecting would help with social interaction as well.  You see a character that looks awesome and want more detailed information on what gear they are wearing?  Send them a tell and ask them to link you what they have, or see if they would be willing to temporarily remove their /hide inspect status.  If players want to keep their gear private from prying eyes, they should be allowed to do that.  This is how EQOA worked and it's one thing I really miss from my first MMO.  In FFXI, it was considered rude to inspect someone without their permission.  I get that not everybody agrees with that which is why it's best to give players the option to disable the ability for others being able to inspect them.

This post was edited by oneADseven at April 19, 2018 3:03 PM PDT
    • 39 posts
    April 19, 2018 6:16 PM PDT

honestly dont get what everyones issue with inspecting is. its.... honestly not that big of a deal. 

• 3237 posts
    April 19, 2018 6:51 PM PDT

Is it a big deal if you can't inspect another player?  I honestly don't see what the issue is with giving people the choice to enjoy a little privacy.

• 2752 posts
    April 19, 2018 7:19 PM PDT

I can see where either side is coming from when it comes to inspect. Personally I find myself siding more with the no inspection group, which for me falls in line with how I feel about damage meters. If you want to gauge/judge me then play with me and do so based on my performance. If you want to know what I am wearing because something looks cool then ask. In my experience inspection systems have led to far more toxicity and elitism compared to any benefit it might bring.

It is far too common these days to kick people from groups or not invite them altogether because they aren't decked out in gear or otherwise equipped with the generally agreed upon community "requirement" for whatever content is at hand (when the community usually settles on gear well beyond what is honestly required as a crutch to make up for unskilled players) even if the player is fully capable or has even done the content in the past. Well geared players can be bad or slack off just as much as anyone else; a good player in bad gear can often outplay a bad player in good gear...unless the game leans disgustingly heavy on gear over skill.

• 2756 posts
    April 20, 2018 3:34 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

Is it a big deal if you can't inspect another player?  I honestly don't see what the issue is with giving people the choice to enjoy a little privacy.

I don't think the Inspect function ever made any sense to me.  I don't see why anyone should know, by looking, what the name of my armor is and especially what its stats are.  If they ask then you can link it if you want or even role-play and tell them all about the adventure you had to get the item and the powers of it (then they'll regret asking!).

I get that some people like to see all the magical stuff that others have obtained to 'inspire' them or whatever, but personally, I think it cheapens it all.

Having just played a few days in EQ P99 East Commons and Freeport, the crazy /auction spam and the stream of high level characters in all manner of freakish armor kinda ruins the special nature of magical loot for me.

When everyone is standing around in glaring, clashing, glowing, glittering, flashing, burning, sparkling, shining 'stuff' and everyone is hawking the most rare and special of items for coin is sorta makes it all tawdry and unspecial to me.

Personally, I would much prefer things be more subtle in game.

If you want to 'spoil' the magic, then you can go look at a Wiki where there will no doubt be listings of magical items and where they are obtained and even the price they tend to sell for, but if everything is constantly 'on show' in game someone like me has no choice about their privacy or the 'specialness' of treasured gear.