Forums » The Cleric

The value of iconic ability

• 88 posts
    April 15, 2018 7:25 AM PDT

I really dont se mutch of a value in this iconic ability att all ?

First the outdors well ...not mutch of a hinder for mobs i guess beside blocking the bank or small house...it will not make you popular but i guess some will do it.

Second in dungeons how will the mobs react when the wall is there, will they wait patently or if there is a second way to go around will they take the longer way collect 50 of there friends thus making the spell a deathflag or perhaps they just seek a way and only colect 10 of there friends thus make the spell a less potent deathflag ?

third i am guessing the spell will be a solid hinder and perhaps hamper other parties from advancing or falling back.not to mutch fun to hit your head in wall when 5 mobs are chasing you..

While everything is changing and not set in stone i really dont se to mutch use in this ability (spell) in fact i se more problem in it then use.And even if i find it it will probobly be very limited

what is my fellow clerics thoughts on it =)

• 1291 posts
    April 15, 2018 8:32 AM PDT

Well, without actual details as to exactly how it works, I'll reserve my judgement as to whether or not it is good or bad until another time.  We don't really know what it does.  Mobs blocked by it may look for a route around it by going all over the zone picking up any other mobs they can, or they could pre-determine that if the mob has to travel a certain distance to get to whoever he has agro on, he will just resume his normal operations until the wall dissipates or moves.  Also, we don't know if mobs can destroy the wall.  If they can't get around it, they may be able to attack it and break it down.

As for effecting other players, I would assume (although we don't know for sure) that it would be like any other ability or spell and doesn't effect other players (at least in PvE), so I doubt there would be a problem there.  But if it did, it would just fall into the same category as some other abilities (like feign death) that are good game mechanics, but can be abused to harrass other players.

• 122 posts
    April 15, 2018 9:11 AM PDT

I am just excited to see something other than spaming heal. I hope every class has something that differentiates / improves the class design over the dozens of nearly-identical MMO's that have been released in the last 10 years. I also hope that each iconic ability has a strategic element that lets you use it tactially to enhance the way you fight. Some, like feign death, have obvious creative tactical implications that 100% affect how your group functions when you have a monk in the group - unfortunately feign death requires zero inspiration on the part of the DEV's and has been done dozens of times already, a lazy copout which I am not happy about, but whatever. I just hope they are able to implement an ability for each class that opens strategic doors for a group.

• 903 posts
    April 15, 2018 3:26 PM PDT

Inconic Ability doesn't mean there "Ultimate" or "End Game ability" but more there ability that is most unqiue to the class as I understand it. 

As for the Cleric ability I believe it could serve a ton of different purposes... Blocking a narrow hallway so mobs can't get to you, blocking a dragons firey breathe as he try's to burn you alive in the open world, blocking a blast of cold frigded wind that blows throughtout and encounter, etc... I mean I see many options here myself. 

Just my first thoughts :)

This post was edited by Saicred at April 15, 2018 3:26 PM PDT
    • 1060 posts
    April 16, 2018 12:02 AM PDT

I think we really need more practical information before judging the iconic cleric ability. Clearly now it seems "meh" but it could turn great, if it was a moveable buff aura that acted in close proximity to your teamates as a simple makeshift example.

• 246 posts
    April 16, 2018 7:31 AM PDT

I've always thought it made more sense as a summoner ability anyway.

• 101 posts
    April 16, 2018 8:04 AM PDT

I forsee this being a large bubble shield like in halo or winston in overwatch, except the cleric having the ability to perfectly position and move it around.  With a bubble shield the cleric can trap an enemy in with the entire group, or shield the entire group from a train(long enough to port out?), or shield the entire group from area effect damage, or place it around a group of enemies to entrap them while the group runs past.. etc

• 3724 posts
    April 16, 2018 10:22 AM PDT

Shai said:

I've always thought it made more sense as a summoner ability anyway.

From what we know about iconic abilities and Summoners, the Summoner will likely have something similar as well. Even in their basic class description, it says they can summon "barricades." But that doesn't change the fact that this ability in particular will probably still be a crucial part of a Cleric's toolset.

It sounds like an abillity with a potential for cool emergent gameplay. Some abilities look different on paper than in practice, for better or worse. And more importantly, it's something fresh that Clerics don't get in most games. I can think of a few situations where it could be game-changing, so without knowing hardly any specifics of the mechanics, I'm simply looking forward to testing it out for myself to see what it can do.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 16, 2018 10:25 AM PDT
    • 255 posts
    April 16, 2018 3:04 PM PDT

I've had similar concern but I'm hopeful. I enjoyed using the icewall ability in Dragon Age 3 but its effectiveness in that game was bad compared to other choices. Even if it's rarely used I'm sure I will "accidently" use it - which would get a monk or 2 killed on raids. Them darned accidents ;)