Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Hardware Question - Whats important?

• 22 posts
    April 12, 2018 4:16 AM PDT

There are many threads and posts on toms hardware etc about the perfect gaming rig.  I'm trying to find out from a Pantheom perspective, if there is anything that should weigh heavier?  I have a chace to replace CPU, Video card and monitor..

So the i7 seems to be the best option and whatever I can afford to spend in terms of the ghz.  How much of the game is CPU intensive?  Am I going to see a dramatic increase in the 8700 over the 7700 for example? Can I cheap out a bit?

In terms of video, is this still king?  I'm considering the GTX 1080, over the 980ti, because I'm not upgrading, I'm litterally buying new (I'm using a 960GTX!).

Finally, I understand that monitor might make a difference.  If I go for something like Samsungs 27" QLED HDR monitor, is that going to be different in Pantheon, from just a bog standard 27"?  And carrying on from that, if I do get the QLED, does the video card choice matter even more?

This PC will litterally be for Pantheon, just like my Voodoo decision was back in the day for EQ :)

Cheers

Dom

• 27 posts
    April 12, 2018 5:13 AM PDT

I'm in the process of doing upgrades for gaming, so I'll give you my opinions on all the things you asked.
    Current System: i5-2500K, GTX560 Ti, 1080P 60Hz monitor. (I've only been playing non-demanding games like PoE and RL, but want to get into some of these newer games)

In terms of CPU vs GPU in Pantheon, we won't be able to tell until we can start benchmarking it. As for upgrades, I wouldn't buy a new video card now because of the prices, and new cards are going to come out before Alpha starts (and definitely before the game's release).

For i5 vs i7, I don't think the extra price justifies the performance increase of an i7. Look up the reviews on Tom's Hardware for 8600K and 8700K. The fps difference between those two are not much different, even when overclocking at 4.9GHz. Also, Intel has released a new generation of CPUs in the later part of the year for the past 10 years, so you could wait for that if it's only for Pantheon.
    8600K: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-core-i5-8600k-cpu,5264-6.html
    : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-cpu,5252-7.html

The rumor mill says NVIDIA is planning on releasing 1170/1180 in July, so I'm waiting for that to grab a good card at MSRP.

If you're moving to a 1400P 144Hz monitor, you will definitely need a high end card to actually see anything above 60fps.

Will the monitor make a difference for pantheon? I can't comment on the higher refresh rate since I've never seen it myself, but from what I've heard, people always talk about FPS and racing games when they say it makes a difference.  The higer resolution will for sure make a difference though.

This post was edited by chobo at April 12, 2018 5:25 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:12 AM PDT

Two caveats. Firstly, I read that they hope to start alpha by the end of the year. This doesn't mean December 31, on the other hand I wouldn't bet a great deal on it starting this summer or earlier. If I were upgrading now I would get the best general system or parts I could with other uses in mind and assume that Pantheon wouldn't have any unusual bottlenecks/requirements. Your question is a good one but I don't think you will get an answer specifically for Pantheon - it is still  too early.

Secondly, never forget the trade-off with high resolution. You may get a better view, depending on the game, but you also may lose framerate and need to specify lower graphics options. 

Will Pantheon actually look better in 4K with a top of the line video card and monitor? I have no idea.

Will you need to go from e.g. a "high quality" graphics setting to a medium or even low quality setting if you have a 4K system? I don't know that either but with a typical MMO today I think you gain little and lose more trying to play at 4K.

I emphasize that I speak from general knowledge and what I read, I have personally never played a MMO at 4K. It might not do me any good, my eyes are 3K or 2K.

• 52 posts
    April 12, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

Remember, all the hardware will change by the time the game launches.  I'm holding off on upgrades until closer to release

• 22 posts
    April 12, 2018 12:43 PM PDT

Some cracking responses on here, thanks guys!!

The monitor is an interesting one.  So if I splurge on a really nice monitor, as you say, 144hz, then in order to push out that kind of resolution, I'm going to need a video card to back that up.  Having read a few details on the 1080ti's, its looking like they recommend some serious CPU to run behind it.  So I guess its all or nothing.  Go with a high end monitor, and your all in!

Just looking at the engine, directx 12 features etc, sounds to me like the game will look pretty damn sweet at high res, and the graphics options seem in pre-alpha are pretty significant.

In terms of buying something that will last.. I think we are in teh best world with MMORPG's.  Mostly, the games visual stay pretty stangnant for a long period of time.  I would expect 5 years out of pantheon before they start introducing anything that would need a serious upgrade (uhh hopefully?).

I have a 27" 5k retina iMac and the screen resolution is ridiculous.  I just end up making the UI massive to compensate, so I need to be careful too...

Thanks agqain for your thoughts.

Dom

• 257 posts
    April 12, 2018 5:37 PM PDT

If you don't mind waiting a year or two, I would hold off on getting a new CPU at the moment because of the security issue. Intel has made an emergency update for it but most believe they will be required to completely redesign the chip.

• 44 posts
    April 15, 2018 10:12 AM PDT

I dont see a need to wait to get a computer. No matter who you ask, there will always be a reason to wait. Any computer you buy right now with a current Nvdia card should be just fine. A current video card and processor is most important. 

This post was edited by Chryos at April 15, 2018 10:13 AM PDT
    • 257 posts
    April 22, 2018 6:17 PM PDT

Just curious if a Dev mentioned game performance in relation to CPU multi core and threading. Games that are not optimized well in that regard tend to perform better on intel cards. Those that are, the AMD Threadripper pulls way ahead. I would like to hear from VR's perspective.