Forums » The Dire Lord

Edged weaponry vs. NPC vulnerabilities

• 589 posts
    April 11, 2018 11:46 PM PDT

So in Bazgrim's interview it was mentioned (if I understood that part correctly) that Dire Lords will be restricted to edged weaponry (slashing weapons). Iirc it was mentioned at some point that certain monster types would be vulnerable to specific weapon types (like, skeletons being vulnerable to blunt weapons). Not sure if this is still part of the game, and not sure if it also works in the other direction (monsters being resistant to certain weapon types), but could this mean a weakness for Dire Lords?

• 2476 posts
    April 12, 2018 11:15 AM PDT

Yeah I was wondering about that myself. Will Dire Lords suffer against mobs strong vs slashing as well as mobs that don't bleed? 

13.4 Will there be weapon resists and armor/skin types that affect physical combat?

Yes, what sort of material your weapon is made of and the body type of your target will matter. For example, scale, bone, and slime body types mitigate slashing damage, while crystalline body types take extra damage from piercing attacks.

• 746 posts
    April 12, 2018 11:28 AM PDT

Hmm, I hadn't considered it but you bring up a good point.  As far as any of us know (someone correct me if I've missed something), the body type mechanic (i.e. weakness to a specific weapon type) is still planned.  So on the surface it would seem that you might be on to something @Sarim.  Perhaps the beneficial effects created by the "bloodletting" of the Dire Lord helps to circumvent this perceived downside.  It could also mean that they are extremely effective against flesh in exchange for being weaker against other body types.

Honestly, I hope that there won't always be an opportunity for players to have the perfect loadout of weaponry to always gain a bonus to a certain body type - this would trivialize the mechanic.  I think in order for the body type mechanic to work there just have to be instances where a certain weapon or class is simply just not as effective as another.

• 589 posts
    April 13, 2018 2:37 AM PDT

Thanks for the FAQ answer above, I thought I had read that but didn't remember it. It won't be a big bonus/penalty I guess, but still something to keep in mind :)

• 210 posts
    April 13, 2018 9:02 AM PDT

Great question! It's risky giving interviews like this because it's such coveted information and hindsight always reveals little things you forget to say in the moment, which if said would have diffused some of the questions and concerns that have come up the last few days.

With news of the Dire Lord's "edged" weapon restriction, concerns have risen about the viability of the DL against Body Types that are resistant to slashing.

To clarify about Body Types (which we are still planning on having). I posted this on Reddit to clarify what we consider to be edged weaponry: "These include 1H/2H Swords, Axes and certain Pole weapons + a few more unique weapon types we haven't revealed yet..." Two things to note here:

- We're considering the idea that 2H weapons (because of the size/weight and subsequent power of each strike) would bypass the penalty of a body type that may be resistant to that damage type. This would give Dire Lords the option to switch from Dual-Wield to a 2Handed weapon when fighting a Skeleton, a Stone Golem, etc. (NPCs with Body Types resistant to slashing).

- Additionally, the reason I mentioned the "unique weapon types we haven't revealed yet" is because there will be unique weapons that have a primary and secondary damage type. A Poleaxe, for example (do a google search for "poleaxe" and you'll see what I mean) - the primary damage type of a Poleaxe would be Edged, while the secondary damage type would be Blunt. Weapons like this are designed to give individual weapons the ability to be effective against multiple Body Types, allowing DL's to satisfy their Edged weapon requirement and still be effective against Body Types that are resistant to slashing.

• 103 posts
    April 13, 2018 3:23 PM PDT

I dev just said DLs get dual wield...

Let's all freak out!

• 409 posts
    April 15, 2018 12:14 AM PDT
    *commences freakout*
    • 235 posts
    April 1, 2019 3:14 PM PDT

Joppa said:

Great question! It's risky giving interviews like this because it's such coveted information and hindsight always reveals little things you forget to say in the moment, which if said would have diffused some of the questions and concerns that have come up the last few days.

With news of the Dire Lord's "edged" weapon restriction, concerns have risen about the viability of the DL against Body Types that are resistant to slashing.

To clarify about Body Types (which we are still planning on having). I posted this on Reddit to clarify what we consider to be edged weaponry: "These include 1H/2H Swords, Axes and certain Pole weapons + a few more unique weapon types we haven't revealed yet..." Two things to note here:

- We're considering the idea that 2H weapons (because of the size/weight and subsequent power of each strike) would bypass the penalty of a body type that may be resistant to that damage type. This would give Dire Lords the option to switch from Dual-Wield to a 2Handed weapon when fighting a Skeleton, a Stone Golem, etc. (NPCs with Body Types resistant to slashing).

- Additionally, the reason I mentioned the "unique weapon types we haven't revealed yet" is because there will be unique weapons that have a primary and secondary damage type. A Poleaxe, for example (do a google search for "poleaxe" and you'll see what I mean) - the primary damage type of a Poleaxe would be Edged, while the secondary damage type would be Blunt. Weapons like this are designed to give individual weapons the ability to be effective against multiple Body Types, allowing DL's to satisfy their Edged weapon requirement and still be effective against Body Types that are resistant to slashing.

This brings up another question, however. A dire lord's abilities are centered around manipulating blood. For NPCs who don't have any (skeleton, stone golem, etc.), wouldn't that restrict the ability choices if say, the dire lord was in more of a dps role and not getting hit?

• 1653 posts
    April 1, 2019 11:09 PM PDT

Percipiens said:

This brings up another question, however. A dire lord's abilities are centered around manipulating blood. For NPCs who don't have any (skeleton, stone golem, etc.), wouldn't that restrict the ability choices if say, the dire lord was in more of a dps role and not getting hit?

I think the Direlord are more manipulating "essence"  than the blood of their ennemies.

Currently, all offensive abilities are using or manipulating the essence of the adversary, wether to slow, drain or incapacitate them, while the only skills blood related are using the character's own blood at offensive or defensive way.

In this design I don't see why slashing weapons are still a requirement, but I'm fine with it anyway.

• 235 posts
    April 2, 2019 8:24 AM PDT

Yeah, just reread all of the abilities and essence does seem to be the prevailing resource, with one exception:

Thresh

A ruthless attack that carves your enemy open to expose their essence, causing your enemy to bleed. (Grants Essence)

Guess the mobs that don't have blood will just be immune to the bleeding part of this attack. The dire lord blood states are all manipulations of your own blood.