Forums » Pantheon Classes

Couple Duo Class Combo (EQ Vet & MMO First Timer)

• 8 posts
    April 10, 2018 4:00 PM PDT
    I want to get my girlfriend into Pantheon when it comes out. She has no RPG experience of any sort and very little gaming but she wants to play. What do you guys think would be a good duo for us? I want to keep it simple for her with little responsibility, so I was thinking a wizzard or summoner.

I personally love playing clerics. Do you guys think a Cleric + Summoner combo would do alright? If there’s an Earth Elemental or something like EQ, it could tank, I could heal and she could be DPS. And I think we would be an in demand combo for groups too.
    • 945 posts
    April 10, 2018 6:16 PM PDT

I would say that a summoner would likely be a difficult class to play well for someone that has very little mmorpg experience.  If you are playing cleric, I would recommend her play enchanter or wizard.  Enchanters are easy once you learn how to mez and as a cleric you will be able to keep her alive while charming... you would also get groups together very quickly.  If she went wiz you could likely get her into groups easily still as well as have teleporting rezes
    This post was edited by Darch at April 10, 2018 6:17 PM PDT

• 8 posts
    April 10, 2018 6:50 PM PDT

Fair points, a cleric/enchanter combo would get groups easily. I'll see how well she gets the hang of the game and if crowd control and pet management is a bit overwhelming for her, maybe a wizard would be a better choice.

• 422 posts
    April 10, 2018 7:09 PM PDT

If you want something straight forward and with little responsibility i'd say have her go pure DPS. Wizard, Rogue, Monk, Ranger (depending on how involved the Ranger class is). For the most part all she'd need to do is get a target and kill it. If you are playing a Cleric it might be good for her to go melee so you two could do some duo stuff while LFG.

• 8 posts
    April 10, 2018 8:04 PM PDT

Yeah that would be more ideal for us as a duo for sure. I think she would not enjoy pulling once we're in a group though. 

• 752 posts
    April 24, 2018 12:10 PM PDT

Cleric/warrior is traditional. Cleric/ENC in EQ was OP with charmed mobs. But in the end you cant go wrong with Cleric and anything. Groups will gladly take a healer along with something else. Let her play around and find her own fun. I used to Root/Rot/Burn with a sham/cleric combo. Heck, most the time the cleric would run in there and melee to get 1hb skills up. And there is nothing wrong with 2 clerics if she wants to play one. Lets you play an alt if you want to.

• 945 posts
    April 25, 2018 3:30 PM PDT

I know that my wife would absolutely HATE the responsibility of pulling and probably quit if she found out what was required to tank in a game like this.  I also wouldn’t recommend a melee for someone who isn’t use to WASD and mouse movement on a hairpin (especially if hitboxes and distance based threat is similar to EQ1).  But as someone mentioned, let her play a few different classes while giving your suggestions and reasoning.  Our wives are obviously different and I’m in no way trying to make assumptions about yours :). I’m just speaking as someone that has introduced a few new players (friends wives/girlfriends) to MMOs in the past and what my assumptions are for the mechanics of this game.  The learning curve and quick twitch dependency of the enchanter and wiz are relatively low but the effect they have on any encounter (raid/solo/group) are massive. 

• 248 posts
    April 26, 2018 7:14 AM PDT

I would wait setteling on a class until we get to play. If your wife has no experience with this kind of game, how can she know what she likes. Just try out the different classes for a few levels and get a feel for them and then let her pick what is fun. It's not fun playing a class you don't really like just because it is "fits" with someone elses class.
    So pick the classes you enjoy and make friends with people that play other classes, group up and have fun! :D

-sorte.

• 1479 posts
    April 26, 2018 7:58 AM PDT

Wizard, summoner or ranger seems good roles for a beginner as they usually have few frustrating fields. Rogues are bad frontside dps/soloers, and monk or enchanter used to have a lot of duties where multitasking would  be important, especially enchanters.

Tanking is also a responsability as much as healing, but we have to see the druid's arsinal  before having any idea of it's range and easyness of abilities.

• 28 posts
    March 17, 2019 9:15 AM PDT

Enchanter can couple with a lot of things, but having at least a little healing helps.  Granted I've done Enchanter/Wizard will work, but not having healing or rez means hunting and questing has to be done carefully.  For me, CC is the most important thing in duoing.  I plan on boxing an Enchanter and some Summoners.  In EQ, multiple Necromancers were EASILY my best groups.  They just demonished everything, and had Rez and Feign Death.  Not sure how Necromancers will be implemented in this game though.

Mal

• 945 posts
    March 21, 2019 9:57 AM PDT

I would agree with M.O. on Rogues and Monks being difficult classes to play for beginners, I would disagree on Enchanters having a lot of duties in a group and multi-tasking being important though.  Enchanters have ONE role, and that is CC.  Everyone has one role that they are responsible for (except for the summoner), if you can multitask, that is great, but fulfulling your primary role is all that is expected.  With that said, the Summoner has the role of "DPS" on the website, but it depends on what pet you have out and which abilities you have leveled up on which pet... which requires learning A LOT before being competent.  Typically a pet class REALLY needs to understand things like threat from dps, threat from healing, proximity threat, and knowing which pet to use for which situation... these are all things that come naturally to an experienced MMO player, but for someone that has never played an MMO you will likely be playing the game for her for a long long time by telling her what to do and when to do it instead of her learning organically (which is how good players are created IMO).  Something like the enchanter will take a couple of hours to learn her core mechanics (mez/don't get hit), and then she can start to branch off and try to multi-task "if she wants to".   The enchanter is also a safe way for a new player to sit back and learn other class's roles (or even "pause" the combat if they need to ask a question).  And once she learns the game mechanics, she may try mastering charm.  Every class will be able to multi-task with a little CC here, DPS there, maybe offtank here, or pull there, but you will only be expect to do your primary role.  Just my opinion though.

Add:  A group can survive with a bad enchanter or wiz - pet classes (where controllin your pet well is important), healers, tanks and pullers are important to be competent - melee DPS can be difficult in a game where positioning is important.

This post was edited by Darch at March 21, 2019 10:20 AM PDT
    • 422 posts
    March 21, 2019 11:24 AM PDT

Darch said:

I would agree with M.O. on Rogues and Monks being difficult classes to play for beginners, I would disagree on Enchanters having a lot of duties in a group and multi-tasking being important though.  Enchanters have ONE role, and that is CC.  Everyone has one role that they are responsible for (except for the summoner), if you can multitask, that is great, but fulfulling your primary role is all that is expected.  With that said, the Summoner has the role of "DPS" on the website, but it depends on what pet you have out and which abilities you have leveled up on which pet... which requires learning A LOT before being competent.  Typically a pet class REALLY needs to understand things like threat from dps, threat from healing, proximity threat, and knowing which pet to use for which situation... these are all things that come naturally to an experienced MMO player, but for someone that has never played an MMO you will likely be playing the game for her for a long long time by telling her what to do and when to do it instead of her learning organically (which is how good players are created IMO).  Something like the enchanter will take a couple of hours to learn her core mechanics (mez/don't get hit), and then she can start to branch off and try to multi-task "if she wants to".   The enchanter is also a safe way for a new player to sit back and learn other class's roles (or even "pause" the combat if they need to ask a question).  And once she learns the game mechanics, she may try mastering charm.  Every class will be able to multi-task with a little CC here, DPS there, maybe offtank here, or pull there, but you will only be expect to do your primary role.  Just my opinion though.

Add:  A group can survive with a bad enchanter or wiz - pet classes (where controllin your pet well is important), healers, tanks and pullers are important to be competent - melee DPS can be difficult in a game where positioning is important.

This kind of assumes she isn't smart enough to grasp simple concepts, and yes understanding threat and situational use of spells and abilities are simple concepts, of an MMO.

Pet classes are some of the EASIEST to pickup because the pet will generally make your time easier by giving you more time to react to any given situation. A beginner might not be an amazing player at first, but pet classes are very beginner friendly.

I tend to agree that an enchanter is one of the tougher, as you are filling the role of SUPPORT. CC being a support function along with buffing, debuffing, etc. Though CC isn't rocket science, it can be INTENSE for a new player because so much hinges on fast reactions and a cool head when **** goes sideways.

A DPS class just needs to know when to stop attacking stuff. Basically.

• 945 posts
    March 22, 2019 1:50 PM PDT

kellindil said:

This kind of assumes she isn't smart enough to grasp simple concepts, and yes understanding threat and situational use of spells and abilities are simple concepts, of an MMO.

Pet classes are some of the EASIEST to pickup because the pet will generally make your time easier by giving you more time to react to any given situation. A beginner might not be an amazing player at first, but pet classes are very beginner friendly.

I tend to agree that an enchanter is one of the tougher, as you are filling the role of SUPPORT. CC being a support function along with buffing, debuffing, etc. Though CC isn't rocket science, it can be INTENSE for a new player because so much hinges on fast reactions and a cool head when **** goes sideways.

A DPS class just needs to know when to stop attacking stuff. Basically.

If an enchanter does absolutely nothing in a group, the group has a little more difficult time and maybe has to use their CC to suplement, making it more difficult for the party but not impossible.  Even a poorly played enchanter is welcomed in any group.  You presume pet classes are the easiest because you are experienced with things like WASD movement, using your 1-9, F1-F12 keys while simultaneously using your mouse to strafe and look at your sorroundings without havnig to stare at your hotkey icons, using your mouse to click them while reading their tooltips to tell you what the abilities do.  I made my comment from experience with introducing several new players to MMOs (and classes like the hunter in WoW were too much for some).  I've seen many pet classes do stupid things in MMOs by not being able to control their pet and wiping parties, sometimes repeatedly.  Threat managment of two entities simultaneously is not an easy concept if you've never played an MMO like EQ... especially if the mechanics are like EQ where pets will go to the front of an NPC (causing the NPC to trigger ripostes more rapidly on the tank) or the pet paths weird and agros a whole other group of enemies, or the player targets the wrong NPC because they are not use to being able to control two entities at once... not to mention that the summoner will be a complicated class having multiple pets at the same time that each have multiple abilities that you have to level up seperately depending on how you want to play... controlling 3 entities at once is not "the EASIEST to pick up" if you've never played a video game.

add:  The "intensity" of CC is only as intense as the player makes it.  I personally take it seriously, but it really doesn't matter; If a player mezes an NPC instantly, great!  If a player takes 10 seconds to mez an NPC... still great!  (Not as good as instant, but better than no mez at all).  - Alternatively, if a player repeatedly breaks mez because they don't know what it is... breaking mez is never acceptable (IMO) and the classes notorious for breaking CC are pet classes and ranged auto attackers.

add2:  Ultimately it will be up to the OP and his wife, but I strongly feel that the summoner is not going to be as easy as some people think for a new gamer unless she is not a mouse "clicker" for abilities/skills and is able to watch her surroundings and know which skills are on which keys without staring at her icons/keyboard.   1 mouse click or tab target and 1 button press tends to be easy mode until you are comfortable with other game mechanics (like moving).

This post was edited by Darch at March 22, 2019 2:05 PM PDT