Forums » Store Questions & Feedback

Pledge subscriptions seem a little unreal?

• 7 posts
    April 5, 2018 4:41 PM PDT
    Seriously, 3 months for $1000. Assuming that this game is going to run the standard $15 a month shouldn't $1,000 up all be lifetime?
    • 7985 posts
    April 5, 2018 5:26 PM PDT

You have to remember, my friend, that we are trying to fund the game, that is why the prices are higher than normal, not only do we give reasonable rewards in our pledges but there are a lot of things we need to take into account. Lifetime subscriptions are not feasible if we intend to manage the game without a cash shop as monthly sub revenue will be important.

Also, you are not just purchasing a package, you are literally helping us make the game by supporting us and the pledge purchases go directly into the games development costs, which is why we appreciate them so much and thank our community for supporting us!

So please understand that our pledges are priced high for those reasons and we are unable to give away too much game time.

• 17 posts
    April 5, 2018 5:28 PM PDT

That seems a little off considering you'd realistically only get 5.6 years worth of sub for $1,000. Regardless of the business model that is actually released, pledging is simply helping fund a game that they will in good faith complete and release. There is no entitlement once it is released, and anything they provide is a perk.

Take into considering the $1,000+ pledges give 3 copies of the game, you are now looking at only 4.6 years of sub considering most games have a price tag of $60 minimum. ($1000-$180)

You are also receiving Alpha & Beta access, consider that another $60 as any companies normal "collector's edition" style package or pre-order bonus, whatever you will. You are now at only 4.2 years worth of subs. ($820 - $60)

Subtract the SIX months you actually get for the $1,000 package you are down to 3.7 years of subs. ($760 - 90).

Your pledge of $1,000 after the "perks" they provide now has only given them $670 of that initial investment. Now think of how much time will pass between Pre-Alpha and Alpha, and then from Alpha to Beta. I'm not talking about the Beta where you get to play like 72 hours before normal people who didn't pre-order and you keep your data, I'm talking about the final tests, the stress tests, the polish if you will. There needs to be a slew of employees working day in and day out behind the scenes to makes things ready for the player base that will be exploring every detail of the game they can just to have a leg up on the competition once launch happens. Let's assume those stages last another 1.5 years for easy math. That $670 now diminishes even further to a total of $400. We are now at only 2.2 years worth of subs. ($670 - $270)

I'm solely basing this off a standard $15/month sub fee.

But hey, that's just my opinion on a game I backed knowing that regardless of which pledge I chose I will still pay a sub to play it knowing that they don't have to give me anything but still choose to for pledging.

• 42 posts
    April 5, 2018 7:09 PM PDT

I think the average player doesn’t really understand what pre-alpha or alpha or much less beta is supposed to mean. Alpha is not meant to be a playable game. As an example, a year ago when I played the Crowfall alpha, it was pretty much what could be expected of an alpha – you could log in, choose a character, run around, fight the very few mobs around, and that was just about it. If I had to give my opinion on the game at that point, I’d have told anyone I know to avoid this horrible game like the plague.

If Visionary Realms were to give the general population access to the game right now, it would probably cause irreversible damage, due to the amount of people who would claim the “game sucks,” despite the fact that they aren’t really playing “a game” right now. So right now they’re only seeking money from people truly invested in the game, the kind of person who’s probably going to like it no matter what just because of who’s involved and what the game represents. If you’re not one of those people you’re better off waiting till the game is closer to beta, where you’ll have to buy two copies of the game for $50 each for access.

• 463 posts
    April 6, 2018 10:14 AM PDT

Skaer said: Seriously, 3 months for $1000. Assuming that this game is going to run the standard $15 a month shouldn't $1,000 up all be lifetime?

You need to understand that this is a PLEDGE. You are not PURCHASING anything. You are DONATING the money. You just get some small perks as a thank you for the donation.

• 717 posts
    April 10, 2018 8:03 AM PDT

As  said before. Pledging is not a collector/deluxe/pre order access. Pantheon would be no use if VR was bankrupt 6 month after release due to lack of subscriptions.

I'd gladly pledge for 1000$ if I COULD spare that much, truth is I can't and stick to a more reasonnable plan, not expecting to get more than the game itself at best.

• 3 posts
    April 23, 2018 4:29 PM PDT

Good lord!  Your not doing anything wrong VR!  The pledge system is just fine.  I get exhausted responding to the cheap skates out there. lol

I like the monthly subscription, it makes it easier to pay for!  This is the first time I have seen that and it is really a great idea so we don't have to sink so much all at once on the game if we don't have it available.   Some people just think everybody is out to screw them over these days.  

People... Get some money together, support the economy and what you like to play!   I do it gladly or else your buying mass-market World of Warcraft games - that have all turned out like crap - all controlled by the publishers (keepers of money that don't know what to spend it on).

• 5 posts
    April 23, 2018 11:28 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

...without a cash shop...

NO WAY! You guys are seriously doing this without a cash shop? You could be the ONLY MMO doing this. Keep being awesome, hope you get tons of crazy pledges ;D

As for OP -- it's for those that have the money to afford it mostly geared towards support (not for the rewards, although the extra perks help justify it more). To some people, $1k is nothing and to Pantheon, the dev support is surely everything. It's not for everyone, but it's for *some* people, I'm sure!

This post was edited by Xblade at April 23, 2018 11:28 PM PDT
    • 58 posts
    May 2, 2018 8:44 AM PDT

I would gladly pledge more if I could (and perhaps down the road I might). I love what the VR is putting together and will pledge my support (monetary or otherwise) to make sure it happens. I can understand how people are upset about the pledge costs, and that we have to pay VR in order to essentially do work for VR in finding bugs, but as has already been stated in this thread and elsewhere in the forums, VR needs to be able to slim the testing population down. The best way to do that is find a pledge amount that hopefully gets a ballpark figure of the amount of testers needed. That amount also weeds out those out there that will improperly badmouth the game.