Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Idea for contested camping areas

• 74 posts
    March 29, 2018 8:33 PM PDT

A group/player can 'claim' an area of land. In game, you could place a flag down that covered a certain amount of area, in that area, you are given preferential treatment of the mob there. preferential treatment meaning: most of the exp from the kill goes to your group, and loot goes to your group. Another player can challenge you to this contested area by dueling you. One member of the group versus one member of the challenging party or, if there are even numbers of opposing sides, 2v2, 3v3, etc. Buffs from 3rd parties deactivated for fight. Whoever wins gets claim of that land. To stop abuse, you could only claim/challenge land so much per day, forcing players to really choose what they want to claim/contest. Perhaps not every area could be claimed or challenged, but I just thought of this and thought it was an interesting idea, what do people think?

• 2756 posts
    March 30, 2018 3:08 AM PDT

ghost7 said:

A group/player can 'claim' an area of land. In game, you could place a flag down that covered a certain amount of area, in that area, you are given preferential treatment of the mob there. preferential treatment meaning: most of the exp from the kill goes to your group, and loot goes to your group. Another player can challenge you to this contested area by dueling you. One member of the group versus one member of the challenging party or, if there are even numbers of opposing sides, 2v2, 3v3, etc. Buffs from 3rd parties deactivated for fight. Whoever wins gets claim of that land. To stop abuse, you could only claim/challenge land so much per day, forcing players to really choose what they want to claim/contest. Perhaps not every area could be claimed or challenged, but I just thought of this and thought it was an interesting idea, what do people think?

On a PvP server maybe. Personally, I want 'play nice' rules and mechanics so those issues are avoided. I don't play games, especially coop-group-based ones so I can have conflict with other people.

• 3852 posts
    March 30, 2018 7:57 AM PDT

Definitely not something for a pve server.

I much prefer play nice too but I am not sure it is workable to have VR involved with something so amorphous as a "camp". 

• 557 posts
    March 30, 2018 8:05 AM PDT

Not something I'd want to see implemented in a PVE environment.   You're essentially giving camps to the players that are already best equipped and highest level.

For a community-oriented game, this is just a bad fit all the way around.

• 38 posts
    March 30, 2018 9:34 AM PDT

If this was a PVP focused game, I'd probably think that idea was intriguing. But it's not. A system like this would cause massive divisions and hostility within the community that would run counter to much of the core ideology that (I think) Pantheon is going for. Great idea, wrong game to implement it in.

• 1281 posts
    March 30, 2018 11:38 AM PDT

I'd really not prefer another in game UI/object to worry about (camp markers), though I understand why that may be attractive to some. I guess it would have to be done right.

I want dungeons designed organically, so they feel like they were really built by the inhabitants. But I think you can solve "camp" issues by stretching out the areas between clusters of enemies. If say two large rooms of enemies/named are separated by a long tunnel of enemies, I think organically that would create two camps that both groups could easily agree with.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at March 30, 2018 11:39 AM PDT
    • 9 posts
    March 30, 2018 12:31 PM PDT

I would prefer reasons not to camp in static location.  Its the journey of the crawl that is enjoyable, not the sitting in one spot waiting on spawns.

• 2752 posts
    March 30, 2018 1:14 PM PDT

ZullyZevize said:

I would prefer reasons not to camp in static location.  Its the journey of the crawl that is enjoyable, not the sitting in one spot waiting on spawns.

Different strokes for differet folks.

Dungeon crawling sounds nice but in an open/non-instanced world shared with thousands of others it is a recipe for far more arguments, fighting, and frustration between players. 

• 139 posts
    March 30, 2018 1:41 PM PDT

Id prefer to play a mmorpg i dont have to compete over territory. Maybe it could work with vast changes to how mmorpgs are played. Maybe it could involve a different type of xp for ankther purpose, other than skills / level.