Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

female plate armor i like, gimme your thoughts

This topic has been closed.
    • 13 posts
    March 21, 2018 6:52 PM PDT

hello all this is how i think female plate armor should look like in pantheon there are no skimpy/sexy parts but alot of feminism in it. Let me know what you think.

the best if you ask me

http://myts.dk:8080/femalearmor/6.jpg

second best.

http://myts.dk:8080/femalearmor/1.jpg

found some others i find very liking!.

http://myts.dk:8080/femalearmor/

to me its very important how characthers in the game look and im only giving out my thoughts on the subject ( I have no idea how much this has been discussed but its just one of the things i find very important. )

This post was edited by raimotion at March 21, 2018 6:53 PM PDT
    • 151 posts
    March 21, 2018 8:36 PM PDT

I am sure you will be pointed to the plethora of other posts on this topinc... so I will just say, No. Breast humps on a breast plate only serve to force a glancing blow INTO center-mass. That is the exact opposite of what you want to happen. I would like to see a game that doesnt overly sexualize female toons and from what I have read/heard this might be the one to buck that trend as well. Huzzah for gamers who want their daughters to play too.

• 13 posts
    March 21, 2018 9:45 PM PDT

you think these are overly sexualized?

I find em right in the middle of a boring full plate vs Asian skimpy/slutty bikini plate armor.  That's what I want for the game I could not care less if it's realistic. If I wanted a realistic world why would I play a fantasy world that is not meant to be real... DOH :)

This post was edited by raimotion at March 21, 2018 9:53 PM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    March 22, 2018 3:16 AM PDT

I'd like to hear from some women on this, but armour surely isn't all about glancing blow angles - it has to be comfortable or at least bearable and strapping down your breasts for a day of adventuring would be unbearable for a lot of women.

A breastplate made for a woman is *bound* to be different just like a good tailored suit is different.  In the chest and waist and shoulders, ie. to fit the way a woman is different.

As for gamers' daughters, they are probably the same as most everyone else's daughters, ie. they all ask for a Wonderbra as soon as they are able to wear a bra (and before).

A responsible parent would almost certainly tell them that of course obvious and accentuated breasts don't make you look more womanly... And they'd be telling white lies.

Of course a warrior just needs to look imposing and be protected, but with the weird place feminism is these days the first warrior you'd come across would say "why can't a warrior look womanly too, you sexist pig?!" and I'd have to admit to not knowing if I'm being sexist, feminist, supportive, sub-consciously unsupportive or whatever.

I say this because I had a very similar conversation with a couple of women recently when talking about what women wear to an office. With the whole 'glass-ceiling' and 'equal opportunities' issue really out there I cheekily (but semi-seriously) suggested that some women do themselves no favours wanting to be treated seriously and turning up in business suits, but notably high split skirts and low unbuttoned blouses and with lots of make-up.

They want their sex to be irrelevant yet unnecessarily and overtly accentuate the very womanly attributes that should be irrelevant.

The answers I obtained from the women in the discussion were diverse from "yeah, it's a constant disappointment to me how some woman dress/act at work" to "looking 'womanly' shouldn't mean people treat you in an un-businesslike way".

To relate to the womanly breastplates: Women do want to look like women and it's often at the expense of practicality and shouldn't be seen as overt 'sexualisation'. I don't see why women warriors wouldn't or shouldn't want to look womanly and some BP sculpting is pretty subtle compaired to a chainmail bikini (which some woman warriors would probably actually love to wear and it's sexist to think they wouldn't or shouldn't. Probably. Possibly).

TL;DR: This whole issue is a flipping minefield and you can't get through it without serious injury. I probably have damaged myself badly above hehe.

TL;DR2: You should see the cod-pieces in some RL suits of armour. Necessary armor sculpting (protecting the 'codlings') was often accentuated to give a 'sexual image' even when impracticle. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

This post was edited by disposalist at March 22, 2018 4:08 AM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    March 22, 2018 3:36 AM PDT

Maximis said:

I am sure you will be pointed to the plethora of other posts on this topic...

Yup, inc...

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5287/request-female-character-model-in-the-next-stream

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7034/sexy-male-female-armor-toggle

From the FAQ:

4.4 Will the female character models be as attractive as depicted in the races section?

We sure hope so. The female playable characters in Pantheon brings up an important point: they will be very attractive, heroic in appearance, a persona anyone could look up to; but they will not be overly sexualized. We want all players to be proud of their character and their appearance.

• 38 posts
    March 22, 2018 5:20 AM PDT

This kind of topic is always difficult, because there are a lot of variables that are opinion based which cannot be controlled. For example:

-- What wave of feminism does someone support, if any? Or do they prefer egalitarianism? Men's rights? Nothing / neutrality? There are multiple waves of feminist. There are also people who potentially champion what one person might consider feminist ideals without labelling themselves feminism. There are people who believe moreso in general equal rights. There are people who think men need a movement, too. And there are people who think the whole lot of it is silly. 

-- What, if anything, should women have to 'pay' for equality and respectability? What I mean by this is, should a woman be treated seriously by a man while retaining her femininity? Or is the objective to obscure, surpress, or utterly destroy that aspect of herself if she wants 'equal treatment'? I don't think any gamer here needs to lose sleep over this. My point is that it consciously or not influences the stances people take about these issues.Trying to separate from things like the color pink, the 'wiles' of beauty vs. enjoying one's own appearance, the questionable value of emotions vs. logic, etc. 

The real question the devs need to ask themselves is, "How do women deal with this in Terminus?". No matter what they do, they are not going to please everybody. Since that's a given, their best bet is to do what falls within the vision they have for the game. 

I also wanted to say that I always love the idea of parents wanting to share gaming with their kids. When it comes to girls and the issue we are discussing here, it is important to realize that they do not necessarily think about visual breast representation the way people 'expect' a man would (bewbs, lulz!), the way a feminist would (whichever end of the spectrum that might be...), the way a professional armor designer would (breast accents in armor just show the enemy a bullseye for hitting the heart), etc. They likely see breasts, whether their own or those of other woman, as something girls / women just naturally have. Anything beyond that is something that we, or some aspect of society, teaches them. Personally, I'm all for the description Baz shared from the devs. We don't need skimpy chainmail bikinis, but we also don't need to indirectly make women hate themselves for their own perceived femininity, either. The 'feminine' need not be the enemy. 

This post was edited by katryn at March 22, 2018 5:21 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    March 22, 2018 6:28 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Maximis said:

I am sure you will be pointed to the plethora of other posts on this topic...

Yup, inc...

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5287/request-female-character-model-in-the-next-stream

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7034/sexy-male-female-armor-toggle

From the FAQ:

4.4 Will the female character models be as attractive as depicted in the races section?

We sure hope so. The female playable characters in Pantheon brings up an important point: they will be very attractive, heroic in appearance, a persona anyone could look up to; but they will not be overly sexualized. We want all players to be proud of their character and their appearance.

Thank you, Baz.

Please refer to my official replies in those threads, we will show off more armour styles for both males and females as the development progresses but we have made our stance clear.