Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Mob Health Bars

• 1120 posts
    March 18, 2018 6:41 PM PDT

I searched, there is a topic about this but unfortunately its in a locked forum.  So i cannot see the responses.

In the stream the mob health bars had multiple colors associated with them.

Green (total health, or health remaining)

Black [or empty] (Health missing)

Red (this clearly has something to do with missing health, but it looked temporary)

Has there been any clarification on this?  I assume that mobs/PCs would have a certain timeframe to "heal" up damaged life?

Or maybe its just showing "combo damage" .. as in the amount of damage that has been consistent in that fight.

Anyone have any ideas or notice something that i didnt?

After watching the stream again and paying close attention it definitely looks like the latter.  Its just a "combo" damage indicator.

This post was edited by Porygon at March 18, 2018 6:48 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    March 19, 2018 3:45 AM PDT

It's basically just a visual indicator to make it easier to see how quickly a mob is taking damage. Joppa has briefly mentioned that there could potentially be a few abilities that tie in with it, but we haven't heard much about that since they talked about it way back in the June 2016 stream: https://youtu.be/5oNVecHjiJI?t=2303

• 2756 posts
    March 19, 2018 4:01 AM PDT

I think it's a really good improvement.  Seems minor, but adding a slight 'delay' to the time something is damage to the time something actually feels that damage adds to the tactical vs twitch feel of the game.

It also mitigates problems with people joining games from the other side of the world and heal timings.

I'm pretty sure it's working that way, anyway.  I'm sure in the latest stream I saw the tank be reduced to only having a red bar, but he didn't go down if he received a heal and some green in time.

It might be interesting to add mechanics like if you are reduced to only red you have a chance of being knocked down or unconscious, but a normal heal can bring you up...

• 1281 posts
    March 19, 2018 6:55 AM PDT

Because offensive target window shows mob health, I do not believe it's necessary to have a health bar over their head. It's duplicate information. Hopefully it can be turned off.

I wish there was a better way to show what effects were active on the target though.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at March 19, 2018 6:55 AM PDT
    • 191 posts
    March 19, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I wish there was a better way to show what effects were active on the target though.

Yeah, I wasn't immediately enamored with that either.  I don't have a better idea, but it felt visually cluttered.

• 2886 posts
    March 19, 2018 10:41 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Because offensive target window shows mob health, I do not believe it's necessary to have a health bar over their head. It's duplicate information. Hopefully it can be turned off.

Brad has said that typicall the best approach to UI is to give the players a lot of options. That is, if it doesn't affect other players, you should be able to view it however you want. So I fully expect there to be plenty of toggles.

• 483 posts
    March 19, 2018 4:59 PM PDT

Shai said:

bigdogchris said:

Yeah, I wasn't immediately enamored with that either. I don't have a better idea, but it felt visually cluttered.

Yep I'm on the same boat, I wish they would disable all of the "extra" information to keep the UI as clean as possible, so that a new player when he starts playing doesn't get overhwelmd (also less UI clutter more immersion and the game look better in general)

My suggestion would be disabling the green health bar above the target, removing the red circle around the feet of the target and the red arrow above and instead simply highlingthing the name of the currently targeted mob. (this would all be toggable options, but disabled for new players just starting out, to keep the UI clean and simple and more focused on the game world)

Also they could display the targets buffs/debuffs above offensive target window in the botom right/left cornor above the health bars.

I went to youtube and got some screenshots of the base UI, and made some tweaks in photoshop to something a bit cleaner, similar to my suggestions.

Current cluttered UI - https://imgur.com/qupx4vk

Photoshoped cleaner UI - https://imgur.com/8LCHnnm

The photoshoped UI as different colours highting the name of the current target (both offensive and defensive), buffs/debuffs are above the small health bars above the main action bar, and the Green health bars and arrow above the current target are removed (by the use of my mediocre photoshop skills xd).

edit: messed up the links, should be fine now

This post was edited by jpedrote at March 19, 2018 5:02 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    March 19, 2018 5:09 PM PDT

jpedrote said:

Yep I'm on the same boat, I wish they would disable all of the "extra" information to keep the UI as clean as possible, so that a new player when he starts playing doesn't get overhwelmd (also less UI clutter more immersion and the game look better in general)

My suggestion would be disabling the green health bar above the target, removing the red circle around the feet of the target and the red arrow above and instead simply highlingthing the name of the currently targeted mob. (this would all be toggable options, but disabled for new players just starting out, to keep the UI clean and simple and more focused on the game world)

Also they could display the targets buffs/debuffs above offensive target window in the botom right/left cornor above the health bars.

I went to youtube and got some screenshots of the base UI, and made some tweaks in photoshop to something a bit cleaner, similar to my suggestions.

Current cluttered UI - https://imgur.com/qupx4vk

Photoshoped cleaner UI - https://imgur.com/8LCHnnm

The photoshoped UI as different colours highting the name of the current target (both offensive and defensive), buffs/debuffs are above the small health bars above the main action bar, and the Green health bars and arrow above the current target are removed (by the use of my mediocre photoshop skills xd).

edit: messed up the links, should be fine now

Oh I really like the icons down below like that! Would be better for those of us who like first person view better -less things right in your face.

• 211 posts
    March 19, 2018 5:59 PM PDT

LMAO! I didn't notice that cat in Cohh's face during the stream c(:

• 612 posts
    April 23, 2018 6:24 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

It's basically just a visual indicator to make it easier to see how quickly a mob is taking damage. Joppa has briefly mentioned that there could potentially be a few abilities that tie in with it, but we haven't heard much about that since they talked about it way back in the June 2016 stream: https://youtu.be/5oNVecHjiJI?t=2303

Thanks for linking to that part of the stream :-)

For those who don't go watch, basically what was explained is that the Red part that appears is a representation of the damage the mob has just been taking, and only fades when there is a lull in the damage. So if the damage is very consistant, the Red part may stay up for a long time and fill up a larger chunk of the bar. But if the damage is spikey with bursts every few seconds, the red will appear and fade in smaller increments, giving you an idea of how much damage you are doing in each burst.

This effect is combined from all damage sources, not just your own damage. So perhaps in a Huge raid where there is no Lull at all in the damage (since there is so many people doing constant damage), the red may stay there the entire time.

• 257 posts
    April 28, 2018 7:11 AM PDT

I am not a fan of The Unity 2018.1 health bar. I think the information provided in the offensive and defensive targets was plenty. Have the Dev team mentioned their thought on the matter? Would you (VR) like to change it, and if so, how difficult/ time consuming would it be?

• 752 posts
    April 28, 2018 7:31 AM PDT
    From what i gather the red shows what your health will be after the combo or combat round is complete. And i also gathered that certain abilities like delay death will prolong that bar from completing its cycle. Allowing for a chance to heal the target before it is done cycling.