Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community: get out there!

• 1247 posts
    March 16, 2018 8:26 AM PDT

Thank you to the Pantheon team for reaching out to people. On various websites they are getting publicity. That’s great. Though, this needs to go even deeper than that. Every single person on the forums need to personally reach out to former players seeking this type of game. Whether they are family, friends, or former guild mates, many people still do not know about this game development. I was talking to a gaming-worker at Best Buy the other day, and he had not even heard about it. When I mentioned that it is the true successor to EQ1, then he was very interested in it. Some people say that this game will not truly recapture that experience we felt in the classic days of Everquest. Talk about a diverse player base.. this experience was something new to us all. They are correct in that we will not have that initial experience again. However, new and old players alike, this will be an amazing game for those of us seeking a challenging, spectacular mmo that gets more challenging with subsequent expansions again. So get out there and inform people! Thanks.

This post was edited by Syrif at March 16, 2018 11:22 AM PDT
    • 801 posts
    March 16, 2018 9:15 AM PDT

At one time id say yes, but its up to PR to do there own work. EQ stopped advertising and we lost a lot of subs. They got lazy etc... so its up to Pantheon to do it right this time.

Plus we havent seen the game yet, so i refuse to hype people up until proof is there. Otherwise A for effort.

• 1315 posts
    March 16, 2018 10:02 AM PDT

Advertising is a weird beast that is both an art and a science that I only vaguely get. There is a limit to how long someone can stay hyped about an idea without it arriving before they lose interest waiting.  There are also huge dangers in over promising and under delivering.  An otherwise good game that is overhyped can crash and burn if it fails to meet expectations set by optimistic projections.

I feel like to this point VR has done a good job with their level of advertising.  Pantheon could easily be as much as 2 years from launch and the Launch feature targets may still be getting refined.  By focusing on using Streamers playing controlled content and fly by wire exploration videos VR can should the outline of what PRotF will be without over promising yet.

Once a hard feature list is decided upon, aka launch will be delayed until these are done, and a good internal idea of when launch will be ready they can begin true focused advertisement.  Even that may not serve the game in the long run.  I could see holding off on true blitz advertisement until the game is launched and stable so that new user experience will be at its top possible quality.

I will certainly continue to badger my friends and family to take a look at Pantheon and possibly pledge so that I have people to play with during alpha/beta that I know IRL.  But I think over all VR has been doing a good job balancing the bang for the buck and the accelerator on their hype train with a realistic view of the process, tends to help you have The veterans of MMO development on the team.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Trasak

This post was edited by Trasak at March 16, 2018 10:03 AM PDT
    • 763 posts
    March 16, 2018 10:10 AM PDT
    While it is true that we have not seen the finished product (obviously), we have seen streams... And we will see more as development proceeds.

From these we can certainly make a judgement now, though it may be subject to change later.

My worry would be more about raising hype too early, given the gaming media's need to produce output 24/7. From that perspective I would be inclined to watch and wait for now, rather than going all out now.
    • 2886 posts
    March 16, 2018 10:19 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

At one time id say yes, but its up to PR to do there own work. EQ stopped advertising and we lost a lot of subs. They got lazy etc... so its up to Pantheon to do it right this time.

Plus we havent seen the game yet, so i refuse to hype people up until proof is there. Otherwise A for effort.

It is up to both. VR must and will advertise the heck out of the game when the time comes. But it is also important that the community spreads good word of mouth. With Twitch, YouTube, etc. the power of influence has shifted significantly to the community's hands. That's just the nature of the era and we should be ready for that. We have so far and will continue to do so I'm sure. It's still pretty early so it's a little premature for us to worry about numbers and you shouldn't be the least bit surprised if someone hasn't heard of it. Momentum will certainly pick up in good time. But for years now I've heard of people that tell their friends, family, and acquaintances about Pantheon and that's a good thing. There is already enough info out there to give people an accurate idea of what they can look forward to. And more info is being released at a much faster pace now. Not everyone needs to "see it to believe it." But for those that do need a bit more convincing, I'd recommend these Aradune blogs: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/175/how-to-respond-to-skeptics and https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/178/how-to-get-through-to-people-who-just-don-t-get-it

I'd encourage people to find the fine line between promoting Pantheon and "hyping" it. They're not the same thing. The way you communicate what you know about the game has a big effect on how people perceive it and their expectations going into it. Try to think back to when you were first learning about the game and how you would have wanted to be introduced to it. That will give us the best chance to onboard new people without them later feeling like they've been duped. Currently, I think it's best to focus on quality of interactions rather than quantity. Make sure they actually understand what they're getting into. It can also help to discuss overarching goals of the game, rather than individual specifics that are subject to change.

And lastly, remember: VR's motto is "underpromise and overdeliver."

This post was edited by Bazgrim at March 16, 2018 10:23 AM PDT
    • 69 posts
    March 16, 2018 11:37 AM PDT
    It's real early yet. I planted bugs in some ears - but that's about it. Most gamers I know aren't really interested at all until release is imminent - only then might they bother looking into it.
    • 2756 posts
    March 16, 2018 12:42 PM PDT

I'm telling everyone I know and anyone who will listen about Pantheon, but that's not a lot of people for a sad loner like me... I kid!... Kinda...

It's perhaps not a huge surprise that as what I would describe an 'old school' gamer, I don't have a huge gang of friends or associates, just a quality inner circle, hehe...

When I found out about Pantheon maybe 18 months ago I thought it sounded like a perfect game not only for me, but to finally draw some of my friends and/or family into RPGs.

What I thought I would do is learn how to do 'that YouTube thing' so I could make some intro and guide videos to help those people (and perhaps others) 'get into' Pantheon.

You'd think I'd pick another MMORPG to use as a guinea pig, but I do have another gaming passion that coincided time-wise and that was the latest Battlefield title. It's an FPS, but you might call it an MMOFPS and it is somewhat more tactical and squad/team/coop-based than some of the more (in)famous FPSs...

Anyway, long-story-short, I've been making 'guide' videos; like video 'manuals' really and have been enjoying it and had some small success - more than I thought I would, anyway! I intend to do the same and more for Pantheon, but there's not a lot of cross-over, I don't think, between the FPS audience and the RPG one, as far as I know... We'll see I guess!

I'll do my bit!  As Bazgrim said, there has been a significant increase in recent times to the importance of the online community when it comes to a game's 'profile' and popularity.  I'm really not sure games like PUBG and Fortnite (more FPSs! Sorry!) would be anything like as popular if it weren't for the immense and sudden popularity of YouTubers and other online 'channels' who are streaming it.

Whilst I am not looking for (and certainly not expecting in any way) the fame and fortune streamers like Tyler "Ninja" Blevins are currently enjoying, I'm going to be making my YT video user guides and whatnot in the hope some find them useful (even if it's just my family and friends) and to do my small part to help make Pantheon a success.

Some guys like Bazgrim and The Voices of Terminus have been doing it for a long time already (and very well, guys, awesome stuff!). I'm going to jump in there as soon as I can (I'll be in Alpha and hoping to be in the streamer program). I really do think every member of the community that 'gets out there' will help, indeed @Syrif!

• 2752 posts
    March 16, 2018 1:37 PM PDT

It's certainly something I mention in passing if something related comes up but the game is still way too far out for me to really consider spreading of the word. 

The soonest I would consider sowing some hype would be when we have solid details about each race and class (abilities, roles, etc). 

• 1921 posts
    March 16, 2018 3:03 PM PDT

Iksar said: ... The soonest I would consider sowing some hype would be when we have solid details about each race and class (abilities, roles, etc). 

Agreed.  I would also add that until there are spells/skill lists by level, as well as racial bonuses, so people can make informed decisions about class & race, I won't be attracting anyone to Pantheon.  People won't be making the same mistakes they made during EQ1. :)

• 287 posts
    March 16, 2018 4:46 PM PDT

I wish I could buy a Pantheon hat to wear everywhere and tell anyone I meet about the game.  

• 801 posts
    March 16, 2018 5:40 PM PDT

That there is exactly what we need, a true EA statement then i will start believing once again. So far the EA has been a turn off none the least not just for me but for every player and Devs on this forum. Seriously its an issue and places like steam are making it very difficult to get backers. This is why i refuse to hype anyting up or advertise again until EA stops using it as a cash cow. Get my drift? Not saying these devs arent, just saying it is an issue for everyone here. Once i am into Alpha then ill hype it up a little here and there to encourage players.

Bazgrim said:

And lastly, remember: VR's motto is "underpromise and overdeliver."

This post was edited by Crazzie at March 16, 2018 5:41 PM PDT
    • 557 posts
    March 17, 2018 2:33 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

That there is exactly what we need, a true EA statement then i will start believing once again. So far the EA has been a turn off ...

Forgive me.  It's 5:00 am and I'm uncaffeinated.

Are you calling for an environmental assessment on Terminus?   Are you upset knowing that players are going to be strip mining and tearing down trees in ancient forests?  Are you concerned about the river of blood that's going to be flowing into the water table at launch outside the gates of Thronefast?  Are you worried about the long-term climate effects of players continuously using large amounts of blue mana?

If you're planning to file for an injunction and get a moratorium to save the ecosystem of Terminus or calling for a boycott of Pantheon, you're not likely to find many supporters here.  Try the druid sub-forum.

OK.  Seriously.  What is an EA statement?

This post was edited by Celandor at March 17, 2018 2:36 AM PDT
    • 248 posts
    March 17, 2018 3:24 AM PDT

Celandor said:

OK.  Seriously.  What is an EA statement?

I too have no idea what an EA statement is.
    Anyone care to explain? :)

-sorte.

• 483 posts
    March 17, 2018 3:49 AM PDT

Word of mouth is great, but keep in mind that the game is not finished yet, I've tried several times to spread the word about Pantheon, and even thought the gameplay seems to interest people and the core concepts of grouping, social interaction, slow progression etc it home every single time, there's always the same "critic" poping up, and it's about the animations and until recently the graphics. These 2 aspects are the first thing a specatator sees when they first find the game, and the graphics problem, in my opinion as been solved, now everything looks glorious with the new shaders :). But the animations still need a lot of work so I'm waiting until the placeholder animations are replaced.

• 49 posts
    March 17, 2018 4:57 AM PDT
    We still have two years before this game see the light of days so there is still a lot of time to build the excitement momentum. At stated over promising is very dangerous.

I have been following the development more off than on. A couple of friends really hyped that I needed to watch the last stream VR hosted with Co. Based on their hype I was expecting too much. I watch the stream live and was very disappointed since I did not have all the context of the state of the game.

Back to my first point there is still a lot of time to ramp up the hype as the game gets refined.
    • 690 posts
    March 17, 2018 6:54 AM PDT

For most people, VR is not paying them, nor exchanging Pantheon with them, for their ability to advertise the game. Saying that people "need" to do so as proper players anticipating this game is silly.

Everyone who wants something from the game can support the game however they please, so long as they don't break any rules that get them removed from it. Whatever you can do is more than enough=). 

I myself have never supported a game before it came out like I have Pantheon. I find myself caring even about dumb mechanics like whether or not players get experience from entering a new zone, and arguing my point in those threads, extenstively. Even then,  I'm nowhere near guys like Bazgrim, (who I'm pretty sure believes sunshine flows from VR's every pore-It's not a bad thing!).

Rather than leaving "half of proper advertisment" up to the community as some sort of baseless duty to the game, I prefer to think of our support as VR making something amazing enough that we the fans naturally feel a desire to support it. Along these lines, it's up to VR to make a game that we want to support. With time and more features added to the game, VR will hopefully inspire still stronger and more positive reactions from it's community, while not inspiring any sort of "overhype" situation. 

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 17, 2018 7:56 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    March 17, 2018 7:29 AM PDT

I try to prime the pump by mentioning Pantheon as a very promising effort to create an old school style game. Something worth keeping an eye on but still early in the process - not yet up to alpha testing. Something that will be released within a year or maybe a bit more, Powers willing, but life doesn't come with guarantees.

The most I will say is "take a look you may find it interesting". If they do, and talk to me about it again, that is another story.

• 1921 posts
    March 17, 2018 9:18 AM PDT

Sorte said:

From the context, I would say Early Access.  It's how some of the public perceives this "pre-alpha".. stuff, if reddit is any indication.

I mean, I don't blame them.  People paid, they're testing / playing.  To some, that's the Early Access deal, regardless of the intent.

• 1860 posts
    March 17, 2018 11:54 AM PDT

vjek said:

Sorte said:

From the context, I would say Early Access.  It's how some of the public perceives this "pre-alpha".. stuff, if reddit is any indication.

I mean, I don't blame them.  People paid, they're testing / playing.  To some, that's the Early Access deal, regardless of the intent.

Thanks for the clarification.  I couldn't read it without saying Electronic Arts.

• 1404 posts
    March 17, 2018 11:59 AM PDT

I promote the game very little. If im talking gaming with someone i will share that im a Pantheon support, I'll tell what it is and where to find the web site but i don't recommend it to anybody.

I believe  there is more damage to be done by coaxing people here to an incomplete game that there is to waiting for a completed game. Right now your just promoting Vaporware Opinions and thatsno good for anybody. Our little one time donations wont keep the doors open or make it a suscessful game... subscription to a compleated game will do that.

• 3016 posts
    March 17, 2018 2:00 PM PDT

I talk about Pantheon all the time..when I mention I am a gamer.  I participate in promoting tweets,  Facebook postings.    Some people have come to pledge due to watching the livestreams,  livestreams are the best promotions of the game ...from what I see after,  this site gets hard to log in to..everyone coming here to log in and see what its all about.    So VR is doing their part,  sufficiently I think for how early on it is yet.     Don't panic we'll get there. :)

• 409 posts
    March 17, 2018 4:08 PM PDT

Been spreading the word ever since someone else spread the word to me! :)

• 613 posts
    April 3, 2018 3:09 PM PDT

I am lucky that I am in a guild that does that already.  We are all involved but we are very careful on the hype business.  EA has burned many of us and I know my guild is very weary and cautious.  We talk to people all the time, so we are doing our part.  The game is a long way off still, but we have found when talking to people be up front about the game and its current status.  We have not had anyone say that is to bad or hit us with a negative response.   I think we are in a good spot until we get closer to larger milestones but we are moving forward and that is the most important thing. 

Ox

• 752 posts
    April 3, 2018 5:09 PM PDT
    Word of mouth is spreading. And the streams helped me discover it. But there are still a lot of people that will find out about it years from now just because they live under a rock. I feel they are doing a really good job. I mentioned it to my brother and he found a stream i hadnt watched yet and told me about it!
    • 109 posts
    April 3, 2018 11:44 PM PDT

i tell everyone that will listen, but then i say: "pre-alpha" and "likely 1.5 - 2 years away" and they are like: "hell, tell me about it in 2 years then, i'll forget all about it by then" 

so, you got me, and maybe my brother that will play. i can't convince the young ones to care... all the young ones i talk to are like: WoW Vanilla will be out by then. won't have time for Pantheon

they want wow/Wilstar type action combat and instances because they need instant gratification and personal "Me" loot. 

"participation trophy or i'm not playing" ....sigh

This post was edited by Naim at April 4, 2018 12:05 AM PDT