Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Armor Appearance Cosmetics

• 69 posts
    March 15, 2018 5:35 AM PDT
    I recently read the March newsletter and the Armor 101 section. I'm glad they are going the route of not having same armor pieces look completely different based on race. That said, I'm intrigued by their "racial armor types" (with ornaments, markings, etc) and the in-engine tools mentioned that will allow for some visual changes (mold, grunginess, etc).

A lot of players are fond of showing off those special armor pieces that are identifiable by sight, and I love that Pantheon will be working to maintain that across races. But, others have expressed concern over too much matching among players - which tends to happen in MMOs and breaks some of that ever elusive immersion.

This brings me to armor customization. What if the player had a certain level of choice in their armor''s appearance? Nothing so drastic as to alter its core identity, but rather the ability to flair it up with a personal touch of sorts.

You want yours polished to a gleaming shine? Moldy and tarnished? Blood stained? Scratched? How about faction markings, runes, or other designs? Maybe even some modifications that impact stats and appearance - spikes, studs, magical runes, etc. Some could be available from the start... others unlocked through quests, crafting, etc.

I think this would be a great feature that will allow for greater visual differentiation while still maintaining the core appearance of items. I suppose it could be considered a category of cosmetic items, except here it works with your armor rather than covering it.
    • 2756 posts
    March 15, 2018 5:50 AM PDT

That's exactly what I thought as I read that!

If there is option to keep your armor shiny or let it get grungy, I'd often be for the grungy, yet maybe shine it up for special occasions or when I come to wall mount it or whatever hehe.

I often prefer a more subtle and muted look and would *love it* if we could allow our breastplate (and other gear) to become dinged up and dull.

• 1281 posts
    March 15, 2018 7:36 AM PDT

On one of the other streams, they said that they would have alot of different sets of armour, both stats-wise and appearance-wise so that everyone didn't look cookie-cutter.

• 69 posts
    March 15, 2018 8:03 AM PDT

Kalok said:

On one of the other streams, they said that they would have alot of different sets of armour, both stats-wise and appearance-wise so that everyone didn't look cookie-cutter.

Yeah, I read that somewhere as well.  The thing is that devs always say that yet players still tend to get matchy.  Perhaps Pantheon will prove different.  Regardless of how it turns out, some additional options will be great even if it's just opening up the already in-engine visuals as described in Armor 101.

• 2756 posts
    March 15, 2018 8:06 AM PDT

Kalok said:On one of the other streams, they said that they would have alot of different sets of armour, both stats-wise and appearance-wise so that everyone didn't look cookie-cutter.

For me it's less about looking cookie cutter and more about looking how I'd like to.

Personally, I always disliked that you can get a fab new piece of armor for it to look garish and weird (subjectively) when it's on.

Being able to let it get dirty and scuffed would be a great compromise.

It'd still clearly look like the Breastplate of the Sun, but 'on a cloudy day' so I don't looke so un-subtle ;)

• 1921 posts
    March 15, 2018 8:19 AM PDT

Gear sets don't thrill me, but the idea that I can make my gear look (however) different from anyone else does.

The only shiny armor is the armor that doesn't get used. :)