Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Reputation in Pantheon

• 67 posts
    March 14, 2018 12:18 PM PDT

So being new to old school MMO's I have a question about Reputation and how it will affect Pantheon as a whole?

Reputation is not something I have had to deal with in a mmo and that makes me nervous. I have loved the idea of MMO's for as long as I can remember. Having to group up with people, sometimes random people, and going on adventures sounded like a blast back in the day. I am enjoying it now, even. The problem is this I have social anxiety and I am very anti-social because of that. Picking apart what people say and worrying that I just don't fit in. As my wife likes to say, "its a real problem." She is right of course. I know this but it never really helps. This is the reason I don't post much on the forums and when I do, I do so in a rapid fire kind of way and than I am gone for a few weeks. I am still here on the forums, reading what everyone has to say, I just don't put forth my POV on a matter in case people get upset or at least I perceive that they get angry or upset with me.

With that out of the way here is my question... How is reputation earned with the community as a whole? Do I need to be on the forums writing every single day? Do I need to put my thoughts in, in every matter and kind of fight through my anxiety? OR do I all need to do to be a good name in the community is to be respectful, polite, helpful, etc... I can easily do the last thing but the thing I fear the most at the moment is that come launch day, or even in Alpha or Beta when more people get on, that I won't be able to find a group with anyone. So I now turn this thread over to you guys because I would love your thoughts on this matter. In your eyes what make a good community member? When counts as bad behavior? Where do you draw the line before you don't team up with someone anymore?

• 43 posts
    March 14, 2018 12:26 PM PDT

I also do not have any real experience with old-school MMO's.  But from everything I've read, PRF will be more about a kind of "word of mouth" reputation.  So, if you are "respectful, polite, helpful, etc.." I'm positive things will go well.  

Also, I don't think you'll find lack of grouping an issue:  Either at launch or even months after! And, if perchance that does (however unlikely) happen, look for a halfing rogue named Tanel Nightsong.  He'll be the one with an odd smile on his face and likely getting yelled at by an elf to pay more attention to what he's doing.  =)

This post was edited by Nightsong at March 14, 2018 12:35 PM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    March 14, 2018 12:28 PM PDT

Arterius said:

all I need to do to be a good name in the community is to be respectful, polite, helpful, etc...

This ^ and play your character well is all that is necessary in my mind.

This post was edited by philo at March 14, 2018 12:29 PM PDT
    • 38 posts
    March 14, 2018 12:32 PM PDT

Social anxiety is no joke. I don't have that personally, but I think anyonne can relate to feeling a bit of shyness or uncertainty with new people or in a new situation.

The most basic and easy thing to do is to be a 'good' person. This is a matter of common sense--hello, please, thanks, have a nice day, etc. go a long way when interacting with another person. If you have an opinion on something, I'd say share it. But I also see no pressure in weighing in on stuff you don't care about. Another great way to break the ice is if you see someone seeking help or information that you can provide. Being part of a community is a two way street and it's really vital that people give back as well as receive from those around them.

For example, I'm legally blind. I have an absolutely horrid sense of direction. No doubt I'll have quite a go when I first get into the game. Learning locations is not easy for me. But I will remember that. Little doubt I will get help from other people along the way. And then, in turn, I will end up using some of my time showing other new players around those pesky areas I needed to memorize in the future. This can apply to journeying, crafts, quest or item locations or any number of other things, depending on how the game is set up. 

The basic rule of thumb is to treat others the way you would like to be treated, and to remember that in this game community is (or should be) the heart and soul of what's going on. You might struggle a little getting those initial conversations started, much as I will likely have quite a challenge learning new zones. But the key is to take a breath and put one foot in front of the other, moving past those doubts and fears. I wish you the best of luck. :)

• 1315 posts
    March 14, 2018 12:32 PM PDT

To steal a line from Kilson “Worry not, my friend.”  While some of us are compulsive posters who are convinced their ideas are the next big thing *cough*logarithmic Power Curve*cough*, posting on the boards will have little to no effect on your in game.  If anything keeping a low profile here may protect you from infamy when launch arrives *cough* Baz bam-bazzeling the search impaired *cough*.

The true benefit of this type of game is that your reputation is based much more on deeds than words.  Help others out, do your in game job well, and treat others with respect and your reputation will be great and you will have no problems with groups.  My wife has some of your worries about social interactions so I understand how something really simple said only in passing can eat at you days later.  Very little is taken to seriously in mmo’s similar to Pantheon and you really need to be a turd consistently to get a bad name.

As far as groups during testing or at launch feel free to look me up for groups, my in-game name will likely be my forum name as well.

• 75 posts
    March 14, 2018 3:02 PM PDT

Reputation in EQ was gained by how you played your character, how you treated others, and your actions in general, I am sure it will be pretty much the same in Pantheon.

For Example: I played a dwarf cleric on Bertox and I would get Tells as soon as I logged in to come heal a group Because I took the time to learn my class and I liked to help people I would often go many zones over from where I was to go Rez someone and I never charged and made many friends because of it and I gained a good reputation because of it.

Now on the other hand there were players that played their characters So badly and refused to listen to advise and were rude that they eventually gained a bad reputation on the server and found it almost impossible to find a group because of their own actions, Stealing loot was another thing that gained you a very bad rep.

• 22 posts
    March 14, 2018 3:04 PM PDT

On the boards well, just be polite, but when the game launches, its all a matter of skill really. One of the things that always got me invited back into groups was I could do my job well, and if i didnt know them, i did the easy thing and kept my trap shut, thats it, easy peasy. So learn the game well and get to know people slowly, remember you're not going to be someone's best friend instantly, you'll be fine.

This post was edited by Krakon at March 14, 2018 3:05 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    March 14, 2018 3:10 PM PDT

Arterius said:

OR do I all need to do to be a good name in the community is to be respectful, polite, helpful, etc... I can easily do the last thing

You pretty much nailed it right here. If you're concerned about being able to find and contribute to groups, 99% of groups won't have crazy high standards - the minimum most people care about is that you're respectful and not a troll/jerk. Bad reputation tends to spread much faster than good reputation, so as long as you're not kill stealing, ninja looting, intentionally training, harassing, etc. you'll have no problem finding a group. Those that do consistently go out of their way to help people and be on the top of their game will probably have an easier time finding groups as those people tend to be outright asked to join groups, but it's not like you won't be able to progress in the game if you're not constantly trying to be a superstar. In fact, I'd say that a truly good reputation is something that just kinda happens to you naturally over time. If you're a genuinely pleasant person to be around (treat people well and play your class to the best of your ability - I'm sure you'll have no problem with either), people will notice that and word of mouth will eventually spread. Intentionally setting out to be "server famous" doesn't always work well. Just be yourself! It's cliche because it's true :)

• 2886 posts
    March 14, 2018 3:11 PM PDT

Trasak said:

If anything keeping a low profile here may protect you from infamy when launch arrives *cough* Baz bam-bazzeling the search impaired *cough*.

Oh wait, we're supposed to keep a low profile here? Welp, I'm doomed :P

• 769 posts
    March 14, 2018 3:31 PM PDT

Reputation on an MMO is an interesting thing, but what I think it comes down to is the age-old adage, "No news is good news". 

What I mean by that is, if you're not being a jerk, then you'll have a good reputation by default. When people usually talk about repuation in an MMO, they're talking about bad reputation. As in, "Don't group with this Legolllass, he ninja loots/kill steals/says racist/sexist/homophobic/inappropriate things". Other than that,  I wouldn't worry about it. If Legolllass isn't doing those things, Legolllass wouldn't have a reputation. 

And having NO reputation in an MMO is usually better than having one. It's rarer to have a good reputation than it is to have a bad one, or at least, it's rarer to HEAR about someone with a good rep than it is with a bad one - and that amounts to the same thing. 

I wouldn't worry so much. Nobody will ostracize you if you don't talk often, or if you're not Mr. or Mrs. Personality. 

Edit: Pretty much this. 

Arterius said:

OR do I all need to do to be a good name in the community is to be respectful, polite, helpful, etc... I can easily do the last thing

This post was edited by Tralyan at March 14, 2018 3:33 PM PDT
    • 27 posts
    March 14, 2018 3:45 PM PDT

As long as you're not doing things that hurt your reputation, you'll be fine.  I think most players aren't going to know people from the forums (except the few that post a lot).

If you're nervous about approaching people for a group, one thing to keep in mind that's different about finding people in games with open world content is that you don't have to find a group before starting.  If you don't feel comfortable looking for people in town, you can go to the zone/dungeon and try to solo what you can and look for groups already around there.  Sometimes they might ask you first.  Also, we've heard that VR is trying to develop something in game to help people connect with others like them, so that'll be something to look for.

And if you feel pressured to perform well, I think Brad talked about them designing the group content around needing about 5 players even though the group size is 6.  That way groups who want to help newer players can include them without feeling like they're slowing the group's progress.  Not sure how that'll translate to player behavior.  That's obviously not going to be true for all groups (some people are just mean), but people who genuinely want to help will more easily be able to.

• 753 posts
    March 14, 2018 4:34 PM PDT

One thing to remember about forums... typically forum posters (as opposed to people who sometimes just scan forums for information) are a very small segment of the overall population - and forums tend to take on a life of their own.  There are some forums that are known for being toxic... post at your own risk.  There are forums that are known for being friendly.  But again, they are a SMALL segment of the overall population.

Be yourself in game, and you'll be fine :)

This post was edited by Wandidar at March 14, 2018 4:35 PM PDT
    • 69 posts
    March 14, 2018 4:51 PM PDT
    Just don't be a dick and you'll be fine.
    • 23 posts
    March 14, 2018 5:20 PM PDT
    OP as someone who has experience with this it will come down to being nice, helpful, and if you can play your character even in a passable way you will be fine . If you are on for alpha or Beta or live and want someone to play with keep my name in mind .
    • 2756 posts
    March 15, 2018 5:22 AM PDT

shuk said: Just don't be a dick and you'll be fine.

Lol, yeah, this is pretty much it.

Don't worry, in the old days you pretty much had to be a MAJOR idiot and nasty piece of work to get to be a 'known' baddie.  Even baddies would get quashed because you would 'report them' to their guild and pretty soon they would have no guild that would take them or would settle down. There *were* guilds that were known to all be baddies and people loved to hate them - it was a whole 'thing' on some servers hehe.

As far as I know, there won't be any upvoting/downvoting system in game and, even then, you'd have to be outspoken and do pretty terrible things I think to actually earn a bad rep.

Also most people in MMORPGs are used to text chat too, so for the socially anxious, it's easier and acceptable to be 'quiet' and to take your time over a response when you do 'chat'.

Mostly you will be 'judged' on how well you play your character anyway ;^)

Ultimately, if you do happen to do or say something 'wrong', an apology is a rare and beautiful thing and almost always smooths things over.

I'm jealous that you're new to it all - it's a great first-time feeling when you realise you're in a place full of like-minded people. You're going to have such fun and make some good friends, I'm sure, no matter how quiet you are. I'd go so far as to say an old-skool MMORPG is the perfect place for people who are socially anxious to get to know people (compared to other games anyway).

PS: As far as forums and chat in game are concerned be aware there are always some that will be quite 'intense' hehe. Don't let it put you off - just accept that that's how they are and if you catch any flak it doesn't really reflect on you, more on them. Good luck!

This post was edited by disposalist at March 15, 2018 5:24 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    March 15, 2018 4:45 PM PDT

I can understand if you are a little anxious. I was not so socially anxious but more player anxious in MMO's. Initially I thought my reputation was based on how well I could play, and by false association I thought that people I met one day that were then higher the next day indicated I was not as good a player as them because I had not leveled at the same rate- even by one level. If they were a mere level higher I thought I would be judged. This was not the case at all but somethig I assumed.

If friends you met then shoot ahead and you then find you rarely talk to them anymore- keep making casual friends because eventually you will find those that match your play times and style.

PuG's can be intimidating but I found it helped if I knew the area or monsters before I started a PuG. That way if I met someone that did not know the way I could tell them and build confidence. Sometimes a PuG member would already know more and I would allow the  "leadership" to be fluid, in that it sometimes turned out I was the "leader" just by virtue of being the one making the invites, and not because of any knowledge or playerability. It was much easier to get PuG's to go to new areas or try new things just because it was new and there are no general preconceptions. 

But one thing that may be hard to ask if anxious- but is ok to ask even when meeting PuG's for the first time- is to ask how loot is being handled. It helps you know where you stand and also helps lessen any future conflicts over loot. I dont expect there to be conflicts over loot in Pantheon, however, based on the community represented in the forums. 

This post was edited by Manouk at March 15, 2018 4:50 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    March 15, 2018 5:00 PM PDT

For me, players earn my respect (gain +reputation with me) by just playing their class well, being educated about the game, putting the needs of the group first, and finding a replacement before they leave the group.

• 3016 posts
    March 15, 2018 7:10 PM PDT

Just be yourself..communicate, be friendly..I've been gaming for a couple decades,  my usual thing is joining a new game ..solo.   Haven't had problems over the years.  Treat others as you would have them treat you..all should be well. :) Oh and I'm not into stardom..I'll leave that for others ..if it matters to them. :P

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at March 15, 2018 7:13 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    March 16, 2018 7:38 AM PDT

At the risk of oversimplifying there are two types of reputation.

In "raid guild" or "hardcore grouping" environments, how well you play can be important. A poorly played character or one that is poorly equipped or poorly designed (if there are customization options) will get a reputation and not be desired in groups - especially if the community is smallish and the player can't or won't improve the situation. There may or may not be anything the player CAN do - if you are old and slow or have physical problems or a bad connection you may never be desired in these circles and your only option may be to join more "casual" groups or guilds.

More generally, don't be a dick sums it up nicely. Someone that is nasty as a general rule or killsteals regularly or ninja loots regularly will get on a lot of ignore lists which makes it really hard to get groups unless the server is fairly crowded. Do it once and apologize if called on it and people will be nice and just chalk it up to ignorance or carelessness.

This post was edited by dorotea at March 16, 2018 7:38 AM PDT