Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Cartography

• 7 posts
    March 6, 2018 10:13 AM PST
    I apologize if this has been mentioned before, I haven't had a lot of time to go through the forums.

I have always thought that with all these big open worlds in MMOs that players rarely visit the suboptimal areas/zones. The result seems to end with these massive areas that are never visited, particularly when the next expansion dropped.

A skill along the lines of Cartography could potentially fix this.

I enjoy the idea that in the starting areas and newbie zones we have a map, however as we begin to venture away from the safe areas we really should have no idea of whats out there. In fact, it really cheapens the thrill of discovery when you press "m" and can see the entire area you've entered into for the first time.

How about having a skill called Cartography that allowed you to create the map as you go? At low ranks you can get the big items, ruins, towers, caves, etc.. At higher levels perhaps you can start marking rich veins, rare quests, and a hundred other interesting things. Perhaps that such veins, quests, etc. are dynamic and change after a time!

I can only salivate at the possibilities of such things. This could be a useful trade craft for the ingame economy, especially if crafting is similar to something like what SWG had.

Best of all it would give players a reason to go out and truly explore and visit what would otherwise be empty areas.
    • 626 posts
    March 6, 2018 10:40 AM PST

I hear you, but I def. prefer no map at all in game. Maybe a hand drawn map of sorts with very little detail, but I would hope it doesn't have anything like Dungeons or details in it :). I like having to know my way around. 

I think of it as the difference between being home and on vacation. At Home I never use a GPS to get around. I know the area well enough through experience to know where to go and when the best times to travel is, etc.. When on vacation I put in an address into GPS and follow a map. Since I'm watching my GPS half the drive I never really get to know the area. I don't remember signs, certain buildings, or tree etc. Instead I just rely on my GPS to guide me. Without GPS I focus more on the direction I'm going, I'm looking at the road and surronders more for details and clues to help remember my way. After alot of wrong turns I'll find my way and have memories to keep. With GPS I only remember the address I had to type in. Just my way of thinking about it. 

I'd much rather stubble through it at first to learn it better for later as I feel thats where I make some awesome memories :). 

• 2886 posts
    • 3237 posts
    March 6, 2018 3:29 PM PST

There is a semi-fleshed out cartography proposal on page 8 of this thread:  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2420/maps-of-various-kinds/view/page/8

I honestly don't expect anything like this to exist in Pantheon, at least not for a long time.  That said, I'm not sure if it would make sense to add a feature like this down the line after the game already has an established "feel" for the world.  It's an interesting concept but I can certainly see both sides of the coin on whether any iteration of cartography should be considered for implementation.  For now, I'm going to assume that it's something we most likely won't see in this game.

• 7 posts
    March 7, 2018 9:49 AM PST
    Thank you both for the information, looks like I have a lot of reading to do.