Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Where do you draw the line?

• 248 posts
    February 22, 2018 12:33 PM PST

tyirian said:

a) Buy the game

b) subscribe to the game

c) purchase expansions that provide significant new content.

This.

This I agree with. All else is not wanted.

-sorte.

• 3237 posts
    February 22, 2018 12:35 PM PST

Sign me up for the anti-RMT sheriff initiative.  Obtain additional funding, leverage a vanity merchant, battle RMT, all without delving into P2W, micro-transactions, or anything that would compromise the integrity of the in-game economy or meaningful accomplishments of our characters.  Fortune favors the bold.

This post was edited by oneADseven at February 22, 2018 12:46 PM PST
    • 69 posts
    February 22, 2018 12:49 PM PST
    I can put up with a lot if the game is good.

But, I cannot stand when a game has the balls to leave out content that should be part of the base game and then lock it behind paid DLC. I'm happy to buy DLC, but not if it's to complete an incomplete game. Especially when it's nickel and diming me to death.

An example would be the Blood Graphics DLC in Rome II Total War. You got to be kidding me with that...
    • 2 posts
    February 22, 2018 12:54 PM PST

I think we should buy the game pay a sub and pay for expansions. I personally think any other model makes it easier for gold farmers and spammers to tke over a server

• 29 posts
    February 22, 2018 1:02 PM PST

Buy the game, pay a subscription, buy expansions.

All other stuff is just out of the question.

Edit:

Why even put this up as a question for this game?

This just reaks of a fishing expedition to open up for p2w and microtransactions.

This post was edited by Khuul99 at February 22, 2018 1:05 PM PST
    • 65 posts
    February 22, 2018 1:09 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Season Passes, DLC's, Subscriptions, Free to Play, Buy to Play, Pay to Play, Expansions, Early Access, Micro-transactions, Cash Shops - where do you draw the line in all of this and what is your preferred method to pay for an MMORPG? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

Season Pass - If this is the same as buy a subscription 3, 6, or 12 months at a time then yes, otherwise I'm not sure what a season pass is so I can't say.

DLC - Never been a fan of DLC as I've seen it used in the past (buy the game, then within 2 days of the game being released publisher's are releasing content as DLC that should have been included in the game to start with). 

Free to Play - Never a fan...seems to always lead down the road of pay to win. I had a big rant here but deleted it before I posted as I didn't want to derail the thread.

Buy to Play - no real opinion on this, only buy to play game I've ever played was GW2 I beleive, and I haven't played it in years.  Nice to know I can go back and play it though.  But having this does lead to the cash shop once again because developers must make money somehow, which again leads down the pay-to-win road in my opinion...

Pay to Play - My prefered style.  I would rather pay $15.00 a month and get access to everything in the base game (plus any expansions I've purchased) rather than getting nickled and dimed everytime I want to do something in a game and having the annoying store pop ups like some games have.  Make a quality game that isn't trying to please everyone all of the time and I'm sure you would get enough subbing players that like your style of game to make a tidy profit.

Expanions - Yes please!  The game has to grow somehow.  I would gladly pay for quality game expanions, especially if there are options to purchase physical copies with goodies like maps and artwork! :)

Early Access - 1 - 2 days for those that pledged the appropriate tiers is acceptable as it releives some of the crowding that can be experienced on day one of release by having some players already spread out into other zones.  If you are talking early access used by just not wiping anything after the final open beta, I'm not a fan of this.  Everyone should start their actual game-play experience at roughly the same time.  Close the last open beta, wipe, have a couple days early access for those that pledged for it, then open to the masses would be my preferred.

Micro-transactions, cash shops - No to both for me unless it is a free to play game (then I likely won't play it).  If I'm paying a subscription, I feel I should have access to everything in the game already without having to pay more for it.  If I'm willing to put forth the effort to go raid to get the top gear in the game, I shouldn't see another player having comparable gear they purchased from the cash shop.  If I work hard and put in the time and effort to get to max level, and then they put xp pots in the cash shop...I'm gone (yes I'm one of those old-fogey up-hills both way in the snow types lol...sorry).  I'm not even really a fan of cosmetic gear in cash shops, but it always seems to happen and as long as something in the cash shop doesn't affect game play I guess I can suck it up but I'd rather not have it to begin with.

So I guess to some up....Subscription model with paid (preferably physical boxes) expansions and no cash shop and I'm all for it :)

• 258 posts
    February 22, 2018 1:11 PM PST

Saicred said:

I prefer to Buy the Game, Pay Monthly to play, and then pay for Expansions only.

This. Buy game. Pay monthly sub. Buy expansions.

And buy RL Pantheon merchandise. I don't drink coffee, but I need my frickin Pantheon coffee mug. And hats. And T-shirts and hoodies. And cloth maps.

• 21 posts
    February 22, 2018 1:43 PM PST

I like expansions, cash shops, microtransactions, and subscriptions. I look at cash shops as you are supporting the game, kind of like a donation. Usually cash shops include cosmetics, mounts, bags, and various buffing or exp potions. You do not have to buy anything if you do not want to. I'm extremely positive that the only reason Everquest and Everquest 2 stayed afloat all this time is because of the cash shop.

I draw the line at DLC and season passes. Some games put out so many mini-expansions and want 10-15$ each while almost forcing the player to buy them by having loot or items in game that you cannot equip unless you buy that particular DLC. 

I am ALL FOR traditional expansions, 30$ a year purchase for the next major thing to the game. I like deluxe editions of expansions that include cosmetic items or special bags. 

• 4 posts
    February 22, 2018 1:53 PM PST

I concur with Ski: 

I'm always willing to do the following:

1. Buy the base game

2. Pay a regular subscription fee

3. Buy full expansions (Please don't charge me for micro, small content)

If there is a desire to create other opportunities for money making, I'd prefer to keep them purely cosmetic. They should not impact gameplay directly. They should only provide some appearance based component to the game, or provide some other temporary benefit that does not provide a direct gameplay advantage (A good example of this is EQ's XP boost potions [No direct benefit comes to a player that purchases this except saving some time in their leveling efforts]).

At the end of the day, I'm eager to see a company make money with a game that I love to ensure that it remains available and evolves for years to come. The bottom line....I'll pay good money for a game that is worthy of it.

• 40 posts
    February 22, 2018 1:58 PM PST

I'd like to give a fair response to your question from both my perspective as a gamer to what you deserve as developers. I primarily say this because I appreciate the work everyone is doing and I want your team to earn the money they deserve so content continues to come out in the future. First and foremost I'd like to state that I don't make much money so I don't have a lot to spend, however with that being said.

Purchasing the game, future expansions, and paying a monthly subscription fee, isn't asking too much. (As long as everything is reasonibly priced for everyone.) 

As far as DLC and cash shops go, I'm totally okay with as long as it doesn't become a pay-to-win scenerio. Costumes, Housing items, Storage, Character Slots, and Flashy things that increase your enjoyment as player are totally alright.

The bottom line is, I expect this game to be hard. I expect to have to put in time and effort to be better than everyone else. My skill as a player needs to be the driving force behind progression, and nothing else. If you fail to deliver something challenging and start giving handouts and things of that nature like World of Warcraft I can promise me and my friends will be the first out the door. Also if someone who has a substantial amount of money to spend, and buys their way past me in progression as in games like Archage, I will be robbed of my enjoyment as a player. There is a delicate balance of what you should ask for and when. All you really have to do is put yourself in our shoes and you'll find the real answer to this question.

• 6 posts
    February 22, 2018 3:37 PM PST

I can handle any of the options. . . the only thing I will not accept is any form of pay to win.

• 264 posts
    February 22, 2018 3:43 PM PST

I would prefer to purchase the game (50-100 dollars) and pay a monthly subscription (25-35 dollars). I would rather have large expansions (40-80 dollars)

A Cash shop for Housing and Housing Items are cool. Having real world Items like a Tee Shirt and such at a Cash shop is good. Having a downloadable file that I can buy and use in my 3-D printer to print my Characters is awesome !

• 261 posts
    February 22, 2018 4:18 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Season Passes, DLC's, Subscriptions, Free to Play, Buy to Play, Pay to Play, Expansions, Early Access, Micro-transactions, Cash Shops - where do you draw the line in all of this and what is your preferred method to pay for an MMORPG? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

I prefer Pay for the game. Pay for the Subs, pay for the expansion. (Although I did specifically buy the Pledge which had the life time free sub while it was available). Will be paying for wife's sub.

I don't mind a F2P server (with a level cap of 5-10) for people to try the game and once they buy the game, they can migrate (freely) to a live server. (Eleminates Gold Sellers from creating 100's of accounts on live servers. If they buy the game and sub, then they risk loosing more when they are caught and the account closed)

Early Access is rather pointless. If you want the expansion you buy it and everyone will be in at the same point, early. (Isn't a DLC and expansion the same thing? You download them to play) Unless you charge more for early access rather than just pre-order it, then the people with money get an advantage over the people who don't have it to burn.

I don't really like Cash Shops or Micro-transactions. Some things can be there, as long as they are not going to drasticly alter the balance or give an advantage to someone who can buy there way through the game. Although if they don't want to actually play the game I guess that is their choice.

Thats why I pledged based on those statements already made. Moving from server to server, etc should be just a service that is coded into the system.

Just like in Rift, you can move once a week, no charge just make sure the name doesn't clash. Customer Service from them not a money grab for a bit of code.

I think Credit card if my preferred method, although I would also use Paypal (same thing to me goes to the same credit card)

Discount for a longer subscription is also a nice option. I can't see a season pass working if you don't have other games to offer or is that just longer subscriptions at a discount?

• 88 posts
    February 22, 2018 4:46 PM PST

I'm a free market capitalist so it's entirely dependent upon the product or service being delivered. As a general rule of thumb I believe the traditional formula of paying a subscription fee, and buying expansions without micro-transactions is the most beneficial "LONG-TERM" model for an MMORPG Development Studio. However, i've played games like ESO and GW2 and I have purchased microtransactions as I valued what they were offering me more than my money (Value is Subjective). This is what people don't understand, as a consumer you have a responsibility. These companies are in business to make a profit by providing you a service. Profit is necessary for the product or service in question to improve. Your responsibility as a consumer is to vote with your wallet. Don't like something? Don't buy it. The problem with the gaming industry is that consumers have increasingly forgotten their responsibility as a consumer which is why MT's, Cash Shops, and Large Development Studio's continue to thrive. People keep buying what they're selling. This tells these businesses "THIS IS A SUCCESSFUL MODEL -- WE LIKE IT -- PLEASE CONTINUE!" So the "controversy" of it all is a consumer created problem. The pushback against it is also a consumer created response. Market failures will always be corrected by the market. Pantheon's planned approach to revenue generation is proof they've listened to the market outcry from consumers and they're going back to a more traditional model.

• 18 posts
    February 22, 2018 6:11 PM PST

I want a game with a monthly sub, base game and expansions prices, but nothing else.  No transfers, sex changes, appearance changes and definitely NO cash shop, no f2p, no p2w, no aesthetic crap, etc.  Just spend all of your time, effort and focus on content for all, keeping old content relevant, making the game replayable, balanced and relevant at all levels, classes and races.

• 10 posts
    February 22, 2018 6:14 PM PST

14.99$ per month, 50 cent per day Ideal,no cash shop plz.Bards soon?Yeah?

• 557 posts
    February 22, 2018 6:22 PM PST

Like many others, I expect to pay for the game, pay a monthly sub and purchase later expansions.

Absolute NO to cash stores, microtransactions or any alternative currencies which could be converted either to or from real-world cash.

At one point I thought that maybe cash stores were OK for cosmetic items, but I'm convinced now that all cosmetic items should be crafted by players.

I will never purchase another MMORPG lifetime subscription.   Game IP has a way of changing hands over time.  I was burned by LoTRO and won't make that mistake again.

• 12 posts
    February 22, 2018 6:30 PM PST

Purchase game, pay subscription fee (make it $9.99/mo), purchase expansions.

This post was edited by Talemire at February 22, 2018 6:31 PM PST
    • 18 posts
    February 22, 2018 6:35 PM PST

Talemire said:

Purchase game, pay subscription fee (make it $9.99/mo), purchase expansions.

This! You said it better than I did!

• 9115 posts
    February 22, 2018 8:04 PM PST

Nightsong said:

Kilsin:  Ya got guts for asking this question.  (Or a concussion, not sure.)  It's a topic that has been hashed over so many times in differenet threads both here and other gaming forums that there's nothing left of the horse.  But, since you asked:  

Myeself, I like the idea of paying for a game and paying a subsubscription.   I don't mind shops as long as they are COSMETIC ONLY.  Now, if PRF allows PLAYER crafting to create cosmetic items (as well as nifty useful items), I think that would be AWESOME!!!!!  I'd be more than happy to exchange mats, items and/or coin with another player for something to make my Tank look shiney and appetizing to mobs.

And in regards to my first line of comment, it's in jest and I really want thank Kilsin and the team for getting input from the community.  Even if it may only be to check and see if they are going down the right path.  =^)

Haha, I will randomly use topical subjects every couple of months to put us out into the spotlight a bit more by giving our community a platform to voice their opinion, we have been very clear with our plans and our feeling and actions on cash shops have hopefully spoken volumes to our community when we removed our own store that was making nice revenue.

You will see me do this every now and then - carefully word a topical/controversial topic if our company/game leans safely on the good side of the conversation to help with reach, views, exposure etc. since I don't use click bait on your guys or have much in the way to show off due to NDA's and company policies while we are so deep in PA testing and game development, but don't read too much into it, it is just to help promote the game, get people talking about us and also giving our community that we cherrish so much a platform to show their support, voice their opinion and reaffirm our companies position publically on a bigger scale. :)

• 258 posts
    February 22, 2018 8:09 PM PST

Halak said:

14.99$ per month, 50 cent per day Ideal,no cash shop plz.Bards soon?Yeah?

I agree with $14.99 per month over $9.99 a month. I don't see an extra $5 a month breaking anyone's bank, and the extra revenue would be hugely beneficial to the size and quality of future expansions.

• 6 posts
    February 22, 2018 8:25 PM PST

I will buy the game, pay a subscription and buy expansion packs. When a game offers the "F2P" option, I usually end up quitting it.

• 63 posts
    February 22, 2018 8:27 PM PST

Aqua said:

Happy to buy the game and have a subscription and buy for expansions ...really hate the ide of pay to win mentality.

I second this. :)

And I also prefer to not even have a cash shop for cosmetics as I'd rather have the player base able to craft them.

This post was edited by Mythic at February 22, 2018 8:44 PM PST
    • 129 posts
    February 22, 2018 8:30 PM PST

I loved buying cosmetic items in SWTOR and do so in EQ Agnarr.

• 14 posts
    February 22, 2018 8:35 PM PST

I agree with most of the commentary already provided regarding purchasing the initial game (a lot of us already invested early to help get this going), paying a subscription (I prefer an annual subscription vs a monthly so I only have to justify the charge once a year to my wife), and legitimate full expansions that provide a significant content update to the game. Micro-changes should be primarily to resolve defects and clean up content that has already been delivered with some small exceptions that may set the stage for the next full expansion.

As stated by many others, I believe that main content "purchased and subscribed" to by paying customers should be complete and that only cosmetic add-ons, potions, scrolls, ingredients, etc should be purchasable. There should be an in-game monetary system that can be earned through questing or as part of the subscription that will allow the fully paying customers some latitude in making those purchases without having to pony up some real cash.

There, my 2 cents worth.

Cheers!