Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will there be a Compass

• 87 posts
    February 17, 2018 5:28 AM PST

I understand that there will be no maps or attleast i hope so =)

but will there be a Compass? without it things will be very hard to navigate or will perhaps only some classes have acess to directions like rangers,druid

or perhaps some guiding magic ? 

what do you all think ?

• 2886 posts
    February 17, 2018 7:12 AM PST

Yes, we can see in the streams that there is already a compass in-game :)

• 63 posts
    February 17, 2018 9:25 AM PST

You think you are facing North.

You've become better at sense heading (4)

• 557 posts
    February 17, 2018 3:05 PM PST

Give us a compass and a bag of bread crumbs then send us forth to explore the world.

• 384 posts
    February 17, 2018 3:09 PM PST

Celandor said:

Give us a compass and a bag of bread crumbs then send us forth to explore the world.

Agreed!  Actually, just give me a sword that always lands pointing north and I'm good!   lol

• 84 posts
    February 19, 2018 8:31 AM PST

Better yet, why not allow the compass to be crafted by the appropriate tradeskill profession.  Also, allow for many different kinds of compasses, so that players over time can trade for upgrades.  Include in that, some class specific compasses, that enhance a ranger's or druid's tracking ability, ect....

• 3016 posts
    February 19, 2018 12:24 PM PST

If you look at the livestreams..the compass is already a feature at the top center of your screen.

• 363 posts
    February 19, 2018 2:10 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

If you look at the livestreams..the compass is already a feature at the top center of your screen.

Maybe the OP meant a moral compass? Hmmm....

• 18 posts
    February 20, 2018 3:58 PM PST

Mythic said:

You think you are facing North.

You've become better at sense heading (4)

Oh the nostalgia is real now. Haha

• 1714 posts
    February 21, 2018 1:25 PM PST

Compasses should be crafted items, with different tiers of accuracy depending on the skill of the crafter(tinkering perhaps). There should not be an auto compass that tells you exactly what direction you are facing at all times. How many people reading this right now know exactly what direction they are facing? I'm facing west, northwest, if I had to guess, and I'm really good at that kind of thing. Ask my girlfriend who has lived here for 10 years and she would have zero idea. Automatically knowing direction is total cheese mode and doesn't belong in a game like this. Perhaps an evolution to the sense heading skill that  passively increases the more time you spend in a zone. Wayfinding in a game like this can set players apart. We all clamour for skill based gameplay and then want ezmode QoL features. A player can be a better player, more valuable to friend and groupmates, simply by paying more attention to their surroundings and learning the zones. A compass, while a small issue, would negatively impact class interdepenency, socialization, and rewarding players based on their "skill". 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at February 21, 2018 1:35 PM PST
    • 173 posts
    February 22, 2018 6:17 AM PST

Anistosoles said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Maybe the OP meant a moral compass? Hmmm....

Not sure if that would help me.  I'm totally a lost cuase, aint that right Neph? lol

/intercom voice: Mr Aarpoch, please report to the pricipals office....

• 107 posts
    February 22, 2018 9:28 AM PST
    I need a compass that points me to my heart's desire
    • 1315 posts
    February 22, 2018 9:36 AM PST

zendrel said: I need a compass that points me to my heart's desire

I know you were joking but it might be cool for there to be in game physical compasses that pointed to something other than north as a way to discover things.

• 769 posts
    February 22, 2018 11:34 AM PST

Trasak said:

I know you were joking but it might be cool for there to be in game physical compasses that pointed to something other than north as a way to discover things.

Can you expand on this? Because the first thing that popped in my head was the little golden path in EQ2 that led you straight to the quest objective, which most of us here, I think, would vehemently be against. 

Can you elaborate?

• 43 posts
    February 22, 2018 11:40 AM PST

Tralyan said:

Trasak said:

Can you expand on this? Because the first thing that popped in my head was the little golden path in EQ2 that led you straight to the quest objective, which most of us here, I think, would vehemently be against. 

Can you elaborate?

I believe something like this ?

Image result for pirates of the caribbean compass

• 1315 posts
    February 22, 2018 12:02 PM PST

Ha! Yah, Jack's compass was what actually popped into my mind.  I was thinking something along the lines of "You fish up a strange object".  Its actually a magical compass that is a little unsteady.  You walk a distance and it points in a general arc.  You walk again and its direction changes a bit.  Over and over until you reach an otherwise normal location, due to your increased perception from having the compass you spot a partially buried box.  In the box is a bit of treasure.

This would be in lue of just fishing up a piece of treasure.

• 43 posts
    February 22, 2018 12:43 PM PST

tbh, not only am I an Altoholic, i'm also a mini-mapper; though there is reason for this.  75% of my online gaming is with an 'ole college friend of mine.  Even after many years and characters gaming together..........they still tend to lose me.  Either, A) They go, "Oh, a shiney!" without telling me and I turn my back and *poof*; gone. B) They are bee-lining to where they need to go and are leading; thus triggering mobs and leaving me who is following to try and avoid tripping aggro or finding another way around.  C) I go, "Hey, what's over there!" without telling them and *poof*; I'm gone.  So, being able to see their dot on a mini-map to lead me back to the flock has been helpful.

I agree with the "No World Maps" as I think it will be more fun, I like the idea of at least a compass as well so I can find my friend/group after I spend a couple minutes trying to climb a hill that's unclimbable or seeing if that spot on the mountain is an actual cave or not. 

Friend:  "Go NE from where the wolves were and turn Right at the large, dead tree."

Me:  "Right.  And this time, I will NOT try and /pet them........."